Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Best Software Pianos 2020 edition

That's a really good point ElmerJFudd. I need to try that myself, reduce latency for tracking (which maybe could mean having a rough audio mix of all the other tracks so they don't have to be playing) then bump it up for mixing.

I feel pretty set on pianos; I have some other "gaps" to fill in any case in my sounds. But I think Pianoteq would be a good addition to the sampled ones I have, I need to look out for sales on it! Gotta be on sale!

Definitely. Some DAWs also offer a freeze in place function to replace the plugins running on that track with a bounced down audio file to free up CPU. Then you can push the buffer down if you"re needing low latency on new tracks that will use a software instrument.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My seven-year old computer has no issues running with a 128-sample buffer which gives me perfectly acceptable latency. I know everybody is different with their perceptions, plus you have different OSes, audio interfaces, drivers, etc. If I was working on a piano track or doing a solo piano gig I could trim my setup and easily run at 64 samples. This on a 2013 Mac laptop. That makes me think anyone having latency issues should look into the possibility of user error as well as blaming the tech. Before I got my current MacBook Pro I had a VI rig with a software piano running first on a 2001 Titanium PowerBook, then the last G4 PowerBook, then a 2007 MacBook Pro. I had my buffer at 256 in my very early years of using a laptop setup but those days were a long, long time ago.

A question for you Modartt/Pianoteq users -

Do you use any non-piano sound packs?

I see a Rhodes/Wurli pack and a Hohner pack. They worth it, or should I just get a few different APs (Standard version)?

(Sorry, more than one question)

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

I see a Rhodes/Wurli pack and a Hohner pack. They worth it, or should I just get a few different APs (Standard version)?

The electric piano pack is ok. It"s modeled, sounds similar to LoungeLizard and Logic"s EP88, GSi also has convincing modeled electric pianos. With MainStage's guitar amp and stomp box fx you can get some cool EP sounds. Check out the demos and see what you think.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I have been a registered Pianoteq owner for over eight years, and I do own the sound packs you mentioned in your post. All that being said, were I to buy today, I would choose acoustic pianos first.

:nopity:

My favorite sampled piano is Production Voices Production Grand 2. In fact, I recorded a solo jazz piano release with the full version.

Here's a thread with links to the album, for anyone who wants to hear more:

My First Solo Album

As there are many ways to sculpt the sound, my recording represents just one snapshot of the piano's versatility.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I'm down to just two now, and would sell the rest if I could (I've already sold most of the ones that are allowed for resale).

My main one is C. Bechstein Digital, which is incredibly versatile across genres, highly articulate and has excellent half-pedaling support. Mic positions allow for a good level of flexibility.

The expensive and huge VSL Synchron Pianos suite covers all of the rest of my bases, and for many genres or projects is my top choice, but of course it is a big financial investment.

Nothing else comes remotely close; I've owned them all. But it takes some work to get the VSL stuff to your liking. I have widely shared (on several forums) my personal presets.

If you don't need articulateness, mic flexibility, half-pedaling, etc., there are plenty of good and affordable options, such as Sampletekk (I sold mine recently but haven't yet sold the e-pianos).

All of the others fall down on major points, for my standards. But I mostly do classical and jazz oriented work. For island genres, I like VSL's stuff the best now. Even for rock (along with Bechstein).

The ones I have not owned, and won't bother with anymore as I feel I have reached nirvana, are Geoff's Production Voices preference, and the Imperfect Samples libraries. Didn't like the audio demos.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

The electric pianos pack is a must-have. If you like those Hohner EPs, do get them too. Simply wonderful. As for the APs, these are my favs (in order of preference): Blüthner, C. Bechstein DG, Steingraeber, Steinway B, Grotrian and Petrof. The others are pretty good too.

I have written about it elsewhere here, but I believe the VSL Syncron pianos to represent the pinnacle of sampled pianos at this time. The Steinway is shockingly, amazingly good. I also have the Ravenscroft. It is not loaded in my template anymore. I have Keyscape, but the VSL piano is the standard. My favorite Rhodes is the Canterbury Suitcase Rhodes.

I gave a good listen to the VSL Syncron Steinway and think it sounds great. But it's expensive and I see no way to demo it so I feel stuck. Perhaps I just missed it: is there a way to demo the product before buying it?

Nope - I tried them and, jmo, they are ordinary and are quite a way below other VST ep's.

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Al, yes there is a way to demo, of sorts, but I think it is in the context of 30-day money-back guarantee or something like that. I haven't paid attention to the details as VSL is my go-to #1 vendor so I never have any doubts with their stuff. But it's good that they have this policy. Just remember that you'll need an eLicenser key; they don't have a soft license.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks Mark. I only checked out the return policy for the Synchron Steinway at Sweetwater where it was listed as non-returnable. I"ll look for VSL"s return policy and demo it if possible. I have no reservations about how it sounds but I really need to experience how it feels before spending that kind of money.

Nope; the only vendor I know of who still offers a choice of dongles is Xils-Lab.