Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Boss GT-1

Hi all

The building where I have lived for 15 years is closing down and kicking everyone out.

I have found a new place, slightly more expensive but with much more space, on the other side of the main train station.

The landlady said no acoustic guitar practice-I may not be there for long. She probably thinks it`s a lot louder than it actually is-

anyway, there is not a stick of furniture. I moved the fridge in about an hour ago, and this afternoon I went to a used goods store

to look for an oven.

Well who woulda thought-they had a pretty impressive section of used music gear. One thing that caught my eye was a Boss GT-1, still in the box and

very reasonably priced. I had subsisted on an ME-33 for several years and when the ME-70 came out I heard good things about it.

But one of the forum members-can`t recall who-said the GT series is more versatile for mixing patches. I know the GT-6 is a better unit-there was one behind the GT-1.

But I`m still thinking about space limitations-the GT-1 is compact. Also, I`m okay for preamp and distortion, basically I need a unit with decent-sounding time-based effects

that I can tinker with. Any thoughts? is this thing too basic?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I took a quick look at the Boss page.

Seems like there is more than enough fun for everybody packed in there!

Small and light is good.

I'd gig it and be happy with it, I'd try recording with it too. If the price is fair you can always get your money back out of it.

I'd grab it before somebody else does to be honest.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I can't help with the pedal choice Skip, but I know you will make the right decision and put it to good use. I could not help but get a laugh out of your rental agreement (i.e. the no acoustic guitar playing clause!)... :lolol:
Take care, Larryz

Thanks guys

Well 'agreement' may be a very loose definition. I don't agree with it at all. The friend who told me about the place and lives one floor up said, it's probably fine, she just wants to be in control. Whatever. I'll work something out, maybe invite her to hear me practicing. It's no louder than someone talking. Now if she says, well there's no talking...now we have a problem. I'm thinking of some sound dampening for the walls.

Thanks guys

Well 'agreement' may be a very loose definition. I don't agree with it at all. The friend who told me about the place and lives one floor up said, it's probably fine, she just wants to be in control. Whatever. I'll work something out, maybe invite her to hear me practicing. It's no louder than someone talking. Now if she says, well there's no talking...now we have a problem. I'm thinking of some sound dampening for the walls.

Maybe cheaper to buy the neighbors earplugs? :laugh:

We had a guest worship leader come up to our church with a Tele and a GT-1, direct to the PA. He only used one sound, a mid-gain tone with reverb, but it sounded fine. Other than that I haven"t tried one myself.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Well who woulda thought-they had a pretty impressive section of used music gear. One thing that caught my eye was a Boss GT-1, still in the box and

very reasonably priced. I had subsisted on an ME-33 for several years and when the ME-70 came out I heard good things about it.

But one of the forum members-can`t recall who-said the GT series is more versatile for mixing patches. I know the GT-6 is a better unit-there was one behind the GT-1.

But I`m still thinking about space limitations-the GT-1 is compact. Also, I`m okay for preamp and distortion, basically I need a unit with decent-sounding time-based effects

that I can tinker with. Any thoughts? is this thing too basic?

Hey, Skipclone - I've got a GT-1, and a GT-3, GT-10 & ME-25. I had a GT-6B and found it so disappointing I got rid of it. First up, all of the Boss GT-series MFX have Amp Models and FX designed for A/E Guitars, so no worries there.

The GT-1 is entry-level, at best. If you're looking for a basic meat-&-potatoes FX chain, the GT-1 will probably do, however . . . parameters are severely limited on pretty much all your FX, two of Boss' signature FX (Slow Gear & Feedbacker) are weak imitations of themselves, and the FX blocks are limited, as well. On the other GT-series MFX, Compressor & Chorus exist as their own separate FX blocks, so you can always have a Compressor/Limiter or Chorus effect, along with whatever else you're using to build up your patch; on the GT-1, you can have Compressor in FX1, and Chorus in FX2, but that means no other Mod/Pitch FX. OTOH, you can move FX around within a Patch, so you can set up some pretty weird signal chains. You want Reverb into Flanger into Compressor? Okay, you've got it. You want Compressor, Chorus & Flanger? Sorry, you can only have two out of the three, because they all live in the FX1/FX2 blocks, and you can only pick one effect each within FX1 & FX2.

The Amp models are okay, nothing stellar. Delay FX are good, again, not stellar. Tera Echo is an odd Filtered Echo effect, fun for Ambient/Shoegaze/Space. There is a built-in Looper, but your Loops are in volatile memory, nothing you can Store or Save.

The GT-6 is much older, and it's a weird beast, more of an updated pedalboard version of the old Roland GP-100, which was one of Robert Fripp's favorite processors, back in the 90's. The GP-100 was viewed as an Amp Modeler w/FX, as opposed to being as a MFX w/Amp Modeling, but the FX within the GP-100 were quite good for the time. The GT-6 isn't a bad processor, more cumbersome to program, but likely to be more rewarding than the GT-1 for your efforts.

I'd recommend an old GT-3 or GT-5, if you saw one, failing that, a GT-8 or GT-10. I programmed a GT-8 for a sight-impaired friend who wanted to just be able to step on a switch and get the sound he wanted, and I liked the sound and the user interface on the GT-8 quite a bit. I notice that of all the GT-series MFX, I rarely see one of those for sale.

Send me a PM, let's talk more.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Thanks Delta

Line 6 does good things. I checked out a live band performance with all Line 6 gear-

the silence (as in no hum or feedback) was golden.

Is that price new or used? in any case I would need something usable for small club gigs-assuming they ever start happening again-as well as recording.

UPDATE:

Well this afternoon I went to the main store.

There were lots of pedals. A Boss ME-50, but for bass.

The only thing that kind of made me think was a T.C. Electronics Nova system.

It was heavily hyped but, I haven`t heard anyone say it`s great and, it seems more than one member has

had some words for that company.

if the GT-1 is still there it seems to get the vote.

While I've had no problems with TC Electronics, I can't and won't dismiss all the stories by those who have had problems.

I owned a Nova System pedal, the one with all the goodies in it. A friend sold it to me, mint and a fair price. I wanted to love it.

It did sound great and more or less had everything you could want - analog distortions with a huge range of tones, all the cool effects, etc.

I can get pretty "technical" but I found programing the Nova to be cryptic and non-intuitive. Not what I wanted for a stage pedal, it is not uncommon to need to quickly make a small tone tweak and save it.

I didn't feel like that would ever be possible so I couldn't bond with it and sold it.

Your experiences and needs may well be different. If it is fully functional and they've packed a LOT of great guitar sounds in that little box.

I do have a TC Electronics Flashback X4 delay/looper and I find that very easy to use and change on the fly. Mostly, I gig with a Boss Katana 100 Combo and the 6 button footswitch.

I can't say you should dismiss it, especially if the price is favorable. Maybe give it a spin and see what you think?

If it's all working and the price is right it should provide everything a guitarist could want except for wah and similar pedal based effects. I don't remember if it could use an expression pedal or not.

It's all a matter of getting comfortable with the interface. Cheers, Kuru

UPDATE:

It was heavily hyped but, I haven`t heard anyone say it`s great and, it seems more than one member has

UPDATE:

Another issue with at least one of the T.C. pedalboard-style MFX was no onboard OD/Distortion? Can't recall which model it was, offhand.

Couple of alternatives, just in case you see any of these. The Boss ME-80 for Guitar looks pretty impressive, with some of the same limitations as the GT-1, but a lot of nice friendly knobs, and some more varied FX. Around $300US. The Line 6 Firehawk FX (around $400US) looks very impressive, as well, for a much higher price point.

If you do get the GT-1, send me a PM, I'll send you some tips, as needed. Good hunting!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

UPDATE:

Another issue with at least one of the T.C. pedalboard-style MFX was no onboard OD/Distortion? Can't recall which model it was, offhand.

Couple of alternatives, just in case you see any of these. The Boss ME-80 for Guitar looks pretty impressive, with some of the same limitations as the GT-1, but a lot of nice friendly knobs, and some more varied FX. Around $300US. The Line 6 Firehawk FX (around $400US) looks very impressive, as well, for a much higher price point.

If you do get the GT-1, send me a PM, I'll send you some tips, as needed. Good hunting!

Somehow Skipclone has a double post and I got a post inbetween. The Nova System MFX does have analog overdrive and distortions. I liked the tones.

I lked the tones in general but I hated the interface.

I'll mention in passing that many years ago I had a Korg pedalboard thingie and I sort of wish I'd kept it, it even had a decent wah pedal and it was easy to program with plenty of useable sounds.