Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dig My Rig--Let's see your setup!

Thanks, Michael! Don't want to at all derail discussion of that excellent rig you've got, but the power bar info you sent got me googling and I may now pick up one of these to magnet to the side of my K&M - just one more way to streamline, however extra and unnecessary...

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

That is a great idea attaching a power strip to the side of the keyboard stand - one less thing to forget.

But aren't those heavy-duty units like doubling the weight of that KLM stand? Lol,

(just kidding - I have the same stand, and if anything, it could actually use some more weight. Dang thing only weighs about 5 pounds or something crazy. Often freaks me out when I pick it up, like picking up a mug of beer you think is full but is actually empty...)

Thanks, Michael! Don't want to at all derail discussion of that excellent rig you've got, but the power bar info you sent got me googling and I may now pick up one of these to magnet to the side of my K&M - just one more way to streamline, however extra and unnecessary...

Great find! I'm in.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Couldn't resist -- had to show off the softsynth rig I threw together on the kitchen table last night (photo attached). One of my bandmates has been working on some solo material during quarantine, and he's been having me do the occasional synth part for it. This track called for some Stevie Wonder-meets-John Entwistle riffy synth bass, so I'm controlling OB-Xd with the Lumi and the Seaboard block as a long, weird synth controller. OB-Xd sounds wicked but doesn't handle MPE well, and it turns out the only keyboard I have with pitch and mod wheels is my Novation Ultranova, which isn't class compliant (!) so the $1.99 ModWheels app that was recommended in one of the other recent threads worked like a charm as soon as I connected my iPhone to my Macbook. That and a little strategic filter automation. Having a blast!

991.thumb.jpg.8da245d48fbab02af014f9e6cfaa9170.jpg

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Arrived yesterday. Only invested an hour with it.

First impressions: Sounds great, the filters are punchy and the envelope controls are very active. Tuning is a breeze and the overall fit, form and function create a nice ambiance. The knobs feel sturdy and the panel layout is just spacious enough. Keyboard feels good. The unit is heavier than expected - solid build.

This will be a mono synth for me - stacking 4 oscillators is attractive (my main reason for buying this).

Poly-D-2020.jpg

Steve Coscia

Arrived yesterday. Only invested an hour with it.

First impressions: Sounds great, the filters are punchy and the envelope controls are very active. Tuning is a breeze and the overall fit, form and function create a nice ambiance. The knobs feel sturdy and the panel layout is just spacious enough. Keyboard feels good. The unit is heavier than expected - solid build.

This will be a mono synth for me - stacking 4 oscillators is attractive (my main reason for buying this).

Poly-D-2020.jpg

I hate it´s 3 octaves kbd action only.

I hated on the orig. white ARP Oddysey already.

3 1/2 octaves of the "real deal" are already a limitation which I live with since decades now.

And that damn chorus,- ... variation II sounds like crap to my ears.

They better skipped the FX for the raw tone and leave FX decisons for the user.

A Minimoog D sound doesn´t need a chorus effect at all IMO.

A.C.

Great find! I'm in.

dB

Hey Guys

While I too think that a magnetic power strip is a great idea, not sure it is going to work on the aluminium K&M stand.... (at least mine is alumineeum)

And that damn chorus,- ... variation II sounds like crap to my ears.

They better skipped the FX for the raw tone and leave FX decisons for the user.

A Minimoog D sound doesn´t need a chorus effect at all IMO.

A.C.

Behringer's chorus logic is most likely for users who will play chords - to fatten up fewer oscillators per note.

I'm using this as a solo-synth, in mono mode, for which onboard chorus isn't needed. Different strokes.

This is a killer solo-synth for the money. I'm loving it.

Steve Coscia

Meanwhile, up in the studio...

zjHKzH5.jpg

dB

Oh dear, please tell me it's not so... :o

I believe so Mark. Those definitely look like mid-top Chucks with keyboards on the sides.

... or you talkin' about the rip in his throne?

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

Oh dear, please tell me it's not so... :o

I believe so Mark. Those definitely look like mid-top Chucks with keyboards on the sides.

... or you talkin' about the rip in his throne?

No, you had it right the first time. Awesome! (but lets have another look front and center)

:popcorn:

My Covid-Rig: Yammi P35 on the balcony. Doing some maintenance on my technique and aspiring to find the ever-elusive acceptable chorus on Giant Steps.

Featuring laundry in the background.

1021.thumb.jpg.8c54742a7d7bd8bf8664dc634e308685.jpg

It's not a clone, it's a Suzuki.

• 1 month later...

Current Gig Rig (finally came out of COVID retirement last night):

tzhBnrv.jpg

I usually use In Ears, but we had a sub sound guy last night. Experience has taught me to use speakers when dealing with someone I don't know running sound. Sure enough, this guy's router wasn't strong enough to reach me, so I couldn't run my own mix, which makes using In Ears a nightmare for me.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Have used the enforced Covid downtime to do some studio re-organization. For the first time since I moved into the studio, I have everything patched into the main recording system and live at once, using the stereo outs and Aux Sends on the Roland M-160 to get discrete sends from the modular setup.

The full setup:

Muep7Qj.jpg

Rhodes, Hammond XK-1c and Novation/laptop:

tgrAN8Z.jpg

Hammond BV, Nord Lead 1, Nord MicroModular, Omnichord, Space Echo:

B8Octzm.jpg

Minimoog, Pianet:

HJijoIp.jpg

MOTM/Blacet modules:

bwQ5LCS.jpg

MakeNoise 0-Coast, Arturia Keystep, MicroFreak & MicroBrute:

5lH3EUP.jpg

EuroRack & Keytar:

vJqTJEw.jpg

Big iso room with Knabe Grand:

b5ik603.jpg

Control room:

4sRkWLZ.jpg

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Have used the enforced Covid downtime to do some studio re-organization. For the first time since I moved into the studio, I have everything patched into the main recording system and live at once, using the stereo outs and Aux Sends on the Roland M-160 to get discrete sends from the modular setup.

Holy Moly. :rocker:

:nopity:

Cool rig. Don't see many SD-1s these days. Yours is in nice shape.

Thanks, Steve. Cosmetically it's in pretty good condition. The low battery warning has started up after 27 years and the aftertouch is seriously messed up ( but there is a mildly inconvenient workaround ). Otherwise, it operates just fine. It doesn't leave the house anymore...it's 30 pounds and I just turned 66. Hence the addition of the VR-09b.

www.wjwcreative.com

www.linkedin.com/in/wjwilcox

• 2 weeks later...

Holy Moly. :rocker:

This deserves a KC Award:

4.5 (out of 5) Gold Capes!

Meanwhile, up in the studio...

zjHKzH5.jpg

dB

Just out of curiousity, what stands are you using on the 3 tier stacks?

The nearer one isw a workstation - Quik Lok WS550. The MiniBrute 2 is on the same stand.

The far one is a K&M 18810 two tier with the third synth (Alesis Ion) sitting on the metal stand underneath it.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk: