Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Name this song please!

It's a song I watched recently on youtube but to my chagrin I can't seem to find the clip. It's Don Shirley playing in contrapuntal fashion almost like a two part invention or fugue, but it's a popular song. Would you like to help me discover what it is? Here are some clues from my faulty memory:

It sounds like the composer could be Gershwin or Ellington or Porter or somebody similar. Elegant. Its initially a descending line followed by three rising phrases and then a version of the initial descending line a minor third above where it started. If I was to play it in F major and attempt to play it from memory, it would begin in F, modulate to Aflat, then come back to F. I would describe it as follows (| is a bar line)

Initial descending line: |a-a-g-f-e-d| (Fmaj7)

First rising phrase: |b-d-c#| (Em7, A7)

Second rising phrase: |a-e-d| (D7, G7)

Third rising phrase: |d-a-g| (Gm7, C7)

Version of initial descending line: |c-c-bflat-aflat-g-f| (Aflatmaj7)

Of course I may have completely distorted the song, but I am hoping a kind soul would have his or her musical memory jogged by my unmusical hieroglyphics. Thanks in advance for any light you might shed.

:thx:

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Version of initial descending line: |c-c-bflat-aflat-g-f| (Aflatmaj7)

It could also be that the song remains in F instead of modulating to Aflat and what I thought was a transposition was just the melody going up a diatonic third as follows ...

Version of initial descending line: |c-c-bflat-a-g-f| (Fmaj7)

:idk:

Oh, you would have gotten it - Tusker pretty clearly laid out enough of the melody to make it very clear. Key doesn't matter... especially for you - Mr. "take it through all 12 keys"!

:poke::cheers:

I think you're describing Lullaby Of Birdland, though It would be in Dm,

BTW First post, hello everyone!

Nice job, doubt I could have picked it out...lol. LOB was written by George Shearing and most commonly played a minor third from where you are ,in Ab, but starts on Fm.

Thank you Bistikas. So glad you are here. :cheers:

Thank you everyone for the discussion. It's a funny feeling when you recognize a tune but can't place it. The contrapuntal portion of Don Shirley's rendition begins about one minute in. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. ð

[video:youtube]