Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SSL SiX - OMFG

Okay, to all my keyboard brethren, I'm sincerely sorry for this in advance.

So, I just got a new mixer so I can do some recording on the big downstairs rig. I wanted two good preamps so I can really hear my ribbon mics...so I decided to spring for this new mini mixer from SSL:

0c24OVu.jpg

From the moment you take it out of the box, you know there's something different about it. The weight and build quality are crazy good. So, I wired it up, and started playing with the mics, listening to the piano and the Hammond. Very nice indeed. Gotta mess with mic placement before I can really start hearing what's going on there. Then, I started playing the Forte and Kronos, which are wired into the stereo line level inputs.

:waitwhat::noway:

Even my wife can hear the difference. I'm not just talking about the two mic channels - I mean the 3/4 and 5/6 line inputs! I thought I was happy with the M06...but I had no idea how much definition and frequency response I was missing. Seriously. I know this sounds a bit over the top...but - as I previously mentioned - even my wife, who typically could give two shits about audio, noticed right away and is really surprised. That just doesn't happen around here...and she was actually in the other room at the time!

This thing so completely changes the sound from my keyboards that I feel like a veil has been lifted off them - not just on the top end, but on the bottom end as well.

Again...I'm sorry. :hider:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Years ago, I got to sit in "The Chair" at Maximus Studios in Fresno and listen to the playback from a pair of synced 2" 24 track Studer tape machines zipping along at 30ips.

I just couldn't take home recording seriously anymore, the stuff we could get/afford on the street did not even come close. That game has changed, profoundly.

Amazing sounding gear is within reach now.

Congrats!!!! Looks like an awesome piece of kit. Even the parts that don't make sense make sense, like the Pan knobs on channels 1 and 2 (mono going to stereo) and the Bal knobs on 3 and 4 (stereo going to stereo). And of course the rather British F/Back 1 & 2 (Mon on our side of the pond).

I do have one question - your ribbon mics have built in preamps? Pretty sure I know the answer, otherwise you would be crying right now about frying them with phantom power!!!!! :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I do have one question - your ribbon mics have built in preamps? Pretty sure I know the answer, otherwise you would be crying right now about frying them with phantom power!!!!! :laugh:

You do know I work for Cloud, right? :idk::D

We make a box that helps with that. :idea:

AEA does make active ribbons, but the ones I"m using are passive.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

You do know I work for Cloud, right? :idk::D

We make a box that helps with that. :idea:

AEA does make active ribbons, but the ones I"m using are passive.

dB

Got it, I own a CL-1 and just used it. I like it. It works a treat for dynamic mics too, which is good since I only have one ribbon - a CAD D-82.

Still, it shows I am paying attention at least...

The same thing happened to me when I plugged into a Rupert Neve DI/Preamp with my bass for the first time vs. a Radial DI with the Jensen transformer (no slouch). It was a huge revelation. The good stuff is worth it. I don't have a use for this little mixer, but it seems to be getting rave reviews everywhere. I find their new Origin console VERY appealing, and I think it is also delivering huge value for the admittedly large amount of money.

Dave I can't believe you customized this mixer to have your initials put on every knob on this thing.

I want one. SSL compressors and 2 band EQ? Anything else I'm missing? Looks small too.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Okay, to all my keyboard brethren, I'm sincerely sorry for this in advance.
Damn right you're sorry. I've been so happy running all my boards through the little Behringer Xenyx mixer in the new home studio, and now you're telling me I'm probably missing out if I don't add another piece of audio gear to my wish list? For shame, Bryce, for shame! :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Nice review here: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/solid-state-logic-six

Lovely, if pricey, bit of kit.

Worth every penny, IMO. :2thu:

I love that High Robjohns did the review. The brother is all about the deep dive.

dB

I love ultra quality audio design. Seems when mixers went out of style 20 or so years ago what was left for the project studios was analogous to controller keyboards - shit. Everyone loves the prices and oh btw look how much this thing can do. And it all sounds great - seems no one ever says it doesn't.

It's nice to see something where sound really matters again. Quality parts and over engineered board designs cost money. In this case you get what you pay for.

Yeah Speck is another one up there at the very top. I wish he (Vince) would make another compact mixer. Maybe 8 or so years ago at AES he mentioned to me his next design was already done on paper. With mixer purchases on the down slide I guess it just didn't make economic sense for him.

Again nothing I need but it's nice having these options available.

Dang, I just looked that thing up. It better make a huge difference in the sound. That's a lot o' dollars for 6 channels.

I'm glad you enjoy it!!

I hate being exposed to this kind of stuff. Makes me doubt my lowly Behringer mixer. :sick:

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

This would be an interesting upgrade for my studio when and if I can spare the money. I have heard nothing but good things about the brand-new relatively affordable SSL gear.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Look at the price of a decent pair of mic pre-amps. Not something you need for keyboards but it kind of puts things in perspective.

The mic channels would actually be considered channel strips since they have EQ, compression and inserts. If that was all you got for $1,500 is a pair of those and they sounds great (reviews indicate it is excellent), then it is a bargain.

2 stereo channels in and out plus all the routing options make it pretty inexpensive - relatively speaking.

I have 1 of these and I got it used and part\ial trade. It hugely improves the sound of any microphone I plug into it, compared to my Presonus Quantum mic preamps -

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/567574-REG/Focusrite_ISA_ONE_ISA_ONE_Microphone.html

Yep, one new is $600. no EQ and no compressor. Plus it's not really very compact by comparison. Not complaining, I love having it, just comparing apples to oranges.

It looks good. I've been looking at this for a few weeks now (and almost posted on it). I think SSL sent Leland Sklar a unit a few weeks back which prompted me to investigate and take a look.

It appears to be full SSL quality in the form of limited channels and I/O to create a reasonable price point.

HUGE!!

I'm a hair trigger away. It actually can support 13 inputs (although not all through the same signal chain).

2 Mic inputs + 2 1/4" line (summed at input) = 4

2 Stereo Line Channels = 4

2 External Stereo Line in channels = 4

Talk back channel = 1

J  a  z  z  P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3