Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about getting the VPC1 Piano action controller

Thank you Todd, Dave and Dave Ferris,

I thought about the MP11 for a couple of days, as it's certainly within my budget. Eventually I had to remind myself that I've only used Kronos as a sound module or a controller for the most part. Buying another workstation doesn't really make sense for me, as I know I'm not going to be using it in that capacity. Since I have the Kronos for instant satisfaction type of experience, a midi controller would be the right choice.

@Dave Ferris,

Yes, I have that Kawai 6' GL-40 in my home studio.That's another reason why I don't need an additional workstation.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm kinda thinking about the VPC, too. Actually, a VPC2 would be great. Throw in a mod wheel & expression pedal jack, & I'd be really good to go.

As far as the MP11, I wouldn't think of it as a workstation... to me it's more like a VPC with internal sounds.

I have an MP7SE, and I'm happy with it.

I'm kinda thinking about the VPC, too. Actually, a VPC2 would be great. Throw in a mod wheel & expression pedal jack, & I'd be really good to go.

As far as the MP11, I wouldn't think of it as a workstation... to me it's more like a VPC with internal sounds.

I have an MP7SE, and I'm happy with it.

Right. It's pretty much a stage piano. If I were a giggin? musician, I would totally consider a keyboard with internal sounds. I did exactly that with a Triton Studio for a few years. It was a little heavy, but very convenient for stage performance.

www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

There are many times I just want to play in a pinch and firing up my computer, loading Cubase etc., takes up to ten minutes.

Todd

If I may be so blunt it doesn't have to be this way. In my case 2 button pushes, one for powering up hardware keyboards, synths and effects and one for the amp equipment with 20 seconds in between to allow my Andromeda to fully boot up. Oh and a Ctrl U to wake up my USB devices in Reaper. Less than a minute each morning, that's it.

Just saying it's not necessarily a factor in buying a controller vice a board with internal sounds.

If I may be so blunt it doesn't have to be this way.

That's fair. That situation may be unique to me and the way I work.

I still think it's worth having the extra controllers, the slightly better action, and that lovely Tine Piano 1 Rhodes sound.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase

Check that the software you are planning to control handles the triple sensor midi-implementation of the VPC1.

Note that the VPC1 has a "2-sensor mode" option in the rare event that your software doesn't play nice with 3-sensor actions.

As noted in the software update changelog:

Added: 2-sensor mode, for improved compatibility with software that does not support 3-sensor keyboard events fully.

To enable 2-sensor mode (while the VPC1 is turned on):

1. Press and hold the power button.

2. Press the bottommost (bass end) black key (A#0).

The 2-sensor mode setting will be applied to all memories globally, and will remain active even after the VPC1 is turned off.

To restore 3-sensor mode, repeat the steps above.

The VPC1's triple-sensor keyboard action has been developed to recreate the expressive touch of a concert grand piano. However, some virtual instrument hosts and sequencing software may not interpret these triple-sensor key events correctly, potentially resulting in prematurely cut or unintentionally repeated notes, especially when playing non-piano sounds. The 2-sensor mode provides a work-around for such symptoms, albeit at the expense of reduced expression and keyboard responsiveness.

Kind regards,

James

x

Employed by Kawai Japan, however the opinions I express are my own.
Nord Electro 3 & occasional rare groove player.

I've had the VPC-1 for a couple of years...

At first I thought the action was too heavy (and sluggish) but have finally warmed up to it now.

I use it to trigger my NE3...which feels better than the software pianos I tried.

When/if you get your chops together on this one, you can play anything :)

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer

I've had the VPC-1 for a couple of years...

At first I thought the action was too heavy (and sluggish) but have finally warmed up to it now.

I use it to trigger my NE3...which feels better than the software pianos I tried.

When/if you get your chops together on this one, you can play anything :)

Does the NE3 handle the triple sensor midi information from the VPC-1? The Nord Stage 3 does not so I am just curious.