Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The NAMM 2021 is Going On??!!

NAMM Announces Plans To Hold 2021 Trade Show

The National Association of Music Merchants announced its plan to host The NAMM Show on Jan. 21â24, 2021, in a recent letter to exhibitors.

[snip]

'We are also working with federal, state and local health agencies and have retained a medical doctor on our planning team to ensure that we take every possible precaution and follow all known best practices for social distancing, hygiene and enhanced facility cleaning,' the letter stated.

I've only been to NAMM once (but I have been to other large trade shows), but this seems pretty absurd to me.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Who knows where we'll be in January. I think just as it's prudent to cancel in advance "just in case" (e.g., GearFest), it's also prudent to plan in case things are all right, "just in case." In any event, I'm quite sure NAMM will pull the convention if things don't improve over the late summer/fall.

The National Association of Music Merchants announced its plan to host The NAMM Show on Jan. 21â24, 2021, in a recent letter to exhibitors.

'We are also working with federal, state and local health agencies and have retained a medical doctor on our planning team to ensure that we take every possible precaution and follow all known best practices for social distancing, hygiene and enhanced facility cleaning,' the letter stated.

In the "...Coronavirus not going away" discussion, I recently posted a bit about a survey I received about many things, some rather scary, invasive, and aggressive, that they are considering implementing in order to allow the show to go on. It didn't occur to me to take some notes while filling out the survey and now that I've filled it out I can't get back to it, but here's a news article with a slightly more detailed description of some of the things they're looking at.

NAMM is a little different than CES in that it's not as large a show, and that registration requirements for attendance are a little more strongly controlled than CES, plus the venue is different and the show isn't as spread out over the area and town as CES, but it's clear that they really want NAMM to go on.

1179.pdf

"Social distancing"?!? Have these idiots SEEN the NAMM shows on Fridays and Saturdays?!?

Which Idiots? The ones who have been putting on the show for the last 50 years? if yes, then probably they have. ;)

:nopity:

The latest I've heard is that there will be a NAMM show, but all options are being kept open as to what percentage will be virtual and what percentage will be physical. There are other considerations for a physical space, like noise levels - if people are shouting and not wearing masks, that's not a good thing. Perhaps this will be the year when all booths, if in fact there are booths, have to use headphones.

I suggested that a) they really trim the attendees so that the non-business people can access all kinds of stuff online, and b) the physical areas are restricted to dealer meetings and such, following the mask/social distancing protocols. They were already thinking along those lines :)

I can tell you that NAMM is taking this very seriously. They want to be able to provide the function they normally do, but without risk. They also understand that people who think things might be okay will want to cancel if conditions change, and they're ready to accommodate that.

But hey...a lot of music involves improvisation! Why should a music industry trade organization be any different?

I suggested that a) they really trim the attendees so that the non-business people can access all kinds of stuff online, and b) the physical areas are restricted to dealer meetings and such

Given the original goals of NAMM, this makes perfectly good sense. However, NAMM has changed a lot in recent years. There are still deals made, orders placed, occasional inside information passed on to dealers and distributors, and there will still be classes in business and marketing. However, as you've noticed (and probably gigged) in recent years is that they recognize that educated users are the best customers, and manufacturers have taken advantage of the event to support that.

Being able to "access all kinds of stuff online" isn't much help to me. I can do that any time. What I can't do on line is look at a new product, turn the knobs, look at the screens, listen to what it does on something besides the little speakers on my computers, get features explained, on occasion, provide useful feedback to the make, and go back for a second look (of course I could do that on line) and ask about something I forgot about or that I realize puzzled me (that I can't). And I can't visit with friends who I only see at NAMM shows.

To be honest, I'd welcome saving the $1500 (and rising) travel expenses, but not only would I miss a few fun and educational days, but I'd miss the personal contacts that sometimes allow me to score something to review, or to learn of a new technique or technology that leads to an article (if only I could still get paid for writing articles).

But, hey, I don't want to risk getting really sick from attending the show. Nor would I want to put up with restrictions implementedf to minimize health risks.

If it was easy to partition off the convention center exhibit halls into smaller sections, they could group similar exhibitors together, with smaller, but well-supported booths showing new products rather than the full line. This is sort of like the way the new section with the audio products is laid out. There's already a lot of space in the Hilton used for the many additional training classes and workshops that have been added in recent years. Perhaps more exhibitors can take suites in the hotel for demo rooms like they do at the high end audio shows. And move the drums to the Disneyland parking lot. ;)

There are lots of possibilities but it would take a couple of years of planning. No time for that between now and January.

I'll check out the Sweetwater Virtual Gearfest this weekend to see what I can see. Those folks know how to sell stuff, so I expect that the canned presentations will be good. But show me the knobs!

I suggested that a) they really trim the attendees so that the non-business people can access all kinds of stuff online, and b) the physical areas are restricted to dealer meetings and such, following the mask/social distancing protocols. They were already thinking along those lines :)

I can tell you that NAMM is taking this very seriously. They want to be able to provide the function they normally do, but without risk. They also understand that people who think things might be okay will want to cancel if conditions change, and they're ready to accommodate that.

But hey...a lot of music involves improvisation! Why should a music industry trade organization be any different?

Thanks for that info, Craig. After seeing some of the initial comments here, I began to wonder if the announcement I linked to was a bit of hype to promote the show will go on in some form. It's good to know that they're watching and responding. :thu:

Meanwhile, I hope someday we will be able to have big events like this again.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Thanks for that info, Craig. After seeing some of the initial comments here, I began to wonder if the announcement I linked to was a bit of hype to promote the show will go on in some form. It's good to know that they're watching and responding. :thu:.

Yeah, they're definitely not sticking their head in the sand and pretending that everything will be "normal" by then. NAMM's under pressure to hold the show, and under pressure to cancel it. I don't speak for NAMM, but my sense is that they'll adjust the ratio of physical to virtual (and the nature of both) over time, to reflect the current reality.

Thinking about what I'll miss if there's no live NAMM show, I wonder if there might be something that might work for me. As I said, I like to talk the the folks at the booth about product details, ask questions, and get answers, not listen to a rehearsed product description. If I'm at a booth an start asking questions that the person I'm with can't answer, frequently the response is "Roger would know that, but he's not at the booth right now. Can you come back later?"

One of the things that most exhibitors will do, assuming the "talent" is there somewhere and will indeed be back at the booth at some point is to schedule an appointment. I've done this occasionally, maybe three or four per show. Usually I decline because the way I do the show is wander hither and yon. If I make an appointment a 4:30 at a booth in Hall A, If I even know when it's about time to get to my appointment, I'll be over in the Annex, a third of a mile away.

But suppose during the virtual show, I scheduled a virtual appointment, say, via Zoom. It could be quite interactive (though that sparkly audio I'm supposed to hear when turn this know will suck). It doesn't even have to be during the show. We could schedule a Zoom-through after the expert gets home, relaxes, takes me virtually down to the lab or demo room and we go over the product. And since I'd be at home, I don't have to make a long dash through crowds trying to get to the appointment.

Maybe?

But suppose during the virtual show, I scheduled a virtual appointment, say, via Zoom. It could be quite interactive (though that sparkly audio I'm supposed to hear when turn this know will suck). It doesn't even have to be during the show. We could schedule a Zoom-through after the expert gets home, relaxes, takes me virtually down to the lab or demo room and we go over the product. And since I'd be at home, I don't have to make a long dash through crowds trying to get to the appointment.

Maybe?

NOW you're getting with the virtual trade show program! Also note there are zoom settings to increase the audio. Zoom has automatic removal of NAMM show crowd noise :)

Microsoft Teams also works pretty well...we have options.

• 1 month later...

NAMM will be making its decision around August 15. I think they will need pretty compelling positive evidence to move forward.

I really had my heart set on going to Music China this year...the event itself is still scheduled, but I don't want to get caught in a COVID-19 crossfire where I have to quarantine for two weeks in China because I came from the US, or the US won't let me back in because I'm coming from China, or whatever.

Not sure if Synthplex is going to happen either, which would be a real shame. It's such a great show and had so much momentum going from last year.

Going virtual is not popular with those who are used to attending physically. For those who have never attended physically, virtual participation will be great. They will feel like they have been able to participate for the first time, and will not feel cheated. This second group of people is orders of magnitude larger than the first. Once everyone figures that out, big live trade shows will never be the same. They may have a physical component, but it won't be half as important as the virtual one. (This is probably true already).

I think that product overviews like the ones provided by loopop, Mark Doty, or the Hydrasynth review here more than replace a quick demo or preset jam on a noisy tradeshow floor. They are deeper than any print reviews I've read with respect to product features & function. After all you get to see someone manipulating the UI and going into all the menus. Print can't do that. The one weakness of these reviews is that they don't include much player's experience or "good for this, not so good for that" analysis. But at this point, that is no longer very important to me. I know what I'm looking for, and can make my own assessment of how it fits into what I have. A complete walkthrough is something I will spend 30-60 min on for a potentially interesting product.

I've gone to tech trade shows for years as a vendor - all over the world. I know the drill. It is fun to see friends and former colleagues. I get that part. But moving past the "it is different", there are also things that are better if you eliminate the necessity of physical presence. Reach and consistency of message being two that immediately come to mind. Many companies are NOT gutted with the switch and are finding new opportunities to touch target customers directly.

Now, NAMM is ostensibly for manufacturers and retailers to meet, not for musicians and creators. They all know each other anyway, but it's fun to get together. I get that. It is true in any industry. But virtual is little hinderance to the business side - orders will be placed anyway. For me as a musician, that part of NAMM is meaningless - the show is just a time of year to expect more product announcements.

I've thought about going to NAMM many times, but have never been able to muster up any enthusiasm. Within hours of any product announcement, the whole online music world that cares about that kind of product knows. (Even if it isn't NAMM season) Smart companies have already pre-seeded online "review/demos" but even if not, they appear in short order as beta testers and others are allowed to post their videos. It is rare that it takes more than a few days for critical details to emerge as vendors often post directly into forums or comment sections to clarify important points.

One thing I've noticed in the live sound world is that companies have made full training classes available online that used to be in person. Engagement has been high. Instead of getting a few minutes in a booth, one can fully understand the product. It is not a case of direct replacement, but of getting different benefits and even deeper engagement. There is the possibility that these different benefits exceed what is lost. I suspect perspective on this will be tied to how "in" or "out" of the NAMM club one was pre-COVID. One group has lost something. The other has only things to gain, and that group is larger. The organizations that understand that and pivot will find new opportunities. But they will be "different" and not a direct replacement.

NAMM will be making its decision around August 15. I think they will need pretty compelling positive evidence to move forward.

r.

there is a Harvard study indicating that LA county and 4 neighboring counties should go to shelter in place due to uncontrolled Covid spread.

Orange County was not mentioned. Just the same, the venue will have to deal with this.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

there is a Harvard study indicating that LA county and 4 neighboring counties should go to shelter in place due to uncontrolled Covid spread.

Orange County was not mentioned. Just the same, the venue will have to deal with this.

The unknown factor is what's going to happen between now and January. We're looking at over 5 months out. Five months is about what it took the "early adopters" like New York to get things under control, but given the slipshod approach toward the pandemic (and the possibility of Round 2 during the traditional flu season), anything's possible.

Bear in mind that for years, people have gotten colds and sometimes flu at NAMM - people joke about going to NAMM and getting "NAMMthrax." People don't die from it, or end up in the hospital, but it does show that having over 100K people in a convention center can be an issue.

I love NAMM. I love meeting friends there.

I will not be going this year.

When we were at NAMM last year, some of you might have heard me say that I thought there was a good chance we would not have a winter NAMM.

I do not have faith that between now and late January, enough people will do what's necessary.

Prior to this, the only year I ever missed NAMM was when I had a bad knee and was signed up to have knee surgery a week after NAMM.

In January, I said this might be my last NAMM show. I had all the clients I could handle, I knew what I needed to know from companies, and I was still not feeling well from the "it-might-have-been-corona-virus-who-knows" attack I had in December...the sickest I've EVER been. But, I didn't think it would be because a pandemic got in the way.

As to not seeing friends, yeah, that's a problem. But for the cost of going to NAMM, I could take a trip to California, rent a car, and visit all my friends there.