Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

JamKazam - GoFundMe - Latency Update

' Hello JamKazammers â

We are writing to share some exciting news. Using funds from the GoFundMe that some of you have supported, we are releasing early this week an update to our Windows and Mac applications that incorporates the first stage of the solution to reduce Internet latency between musicians in JamKazam sessions. To be clear, this first stage of the release targets the collection of a massive amount of latency data that will quantify in detail the latency gains that we can deliver. Based on this data, we plan to move forward with the full deployment of the new service that will actually reduce latency in sessions. We are hopeful that we can do this by the end of July or early August.

Separately from this, if you are successfully playing classical music in small ensembles/groups using JamKazam today and would be interested in performing in a classical music festival, please send us an email at concerts@jamkazam.com. If there is enough interest in this musical genre, we would be happy to host this event soon.

Thanks to everyone in the JamKazam community, and we hope you have a great week!

Best Regards,

Team JamKazam'

https://www.jamkazam.com/

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Until JamKazam is updated with 64-bit VST support, it is basically useless to someone using a VI-based rig.

With latency enough of an issue already, I'm not sure running VSTs on the same system is the best way to go anyway. It seems to me that running VSTs and JK at the same time is very likely to make latency worse for at least one of them. After all, part of getting low latency out of VSTs in the first place is generally not letting the computer do anything else at the same time, that's kinda rule #1. So I probably wouldn't want to use JK on something running VSTs. Baby steps. ;-)

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Until JamKazam is updated with 64-bit VST support, it is basically useless to someone using a VI-based rig.

With latency enough of an issue already, I'm not sure running VSTs on the same system is the best way to go anyway. It seems to me that running VSTs and JK at the same time is very likely to make latency worse for at least one of them. After all, part of getting low latency out of VSTs in the first place is generally not letting the computer do anything else at the same time, that's kinda rule #1. So I probably wouldn't want to use JK on something running VSTs. Baby steps. ;-)

There are inherent problems with achieving negligible latency for live simultaneous playing over the internet - which is what JamKazaam as a service is trying to do. There are other products for production, recording and mixing sessions. However, I imagine you can use a VST/AU host like MainStage and set JamKazam to listen for MainStage"s audio out or your internal sound card"s audio outs instead of a microphone. I"ve done it with the audio outs from my PX-560 into an audio interface. So it"s a routing issue. Will latency be low enough for everyone? I remain skeptical but JamKazam is already better than FaceTime, Zoom, Skype etc. as far as latency goes.

I think you are supposed to send your audio stream to the jam. That's all they are trying to accomplish. You'll have to get that audio created on your own.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

You can currently host 32-bit VSTs (both effects and instruments) in JamKazam, and JamKazam also supports MIDI input, so a jump to 64-bit VST support would obviate the need to use loopback or some similar routing solution to get VIs into JamKazam.

You can currently host 32-bit VSTs (both effects and instruments) in JamKazam, and JamKazam also supports MIDI input, so a jump to 64-bit VST support would obviate the need to use loopback or some similar routing solution to get VIs into JamKazam.

Interesting, I have to get latest version, especially after they release their most recent efforts to get internet latency down.

I have to experiment, but in OSX w/ MainStage (if you are already invested having built setups and setlists) digital audio routing in AMS should not be difficult to route to JamKazam.