Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Well I seem to have joined a duo

Didn't mean to but kind of wanted to. I was posting on Facebook and there was a girl singer that I REALLY wanted to do this 90s alternative girl band thing with (think Garbage, Hole, etc). She turned me down but I mistakenly thought she had turned me down for a duo as well. I didn't immediately reveal this but realized later that I was trying to do a duo with her EX boyfriend guitar player and THAT is what fell though. SO on Facebook, she's like "LETS DO THIS" and I'm thinking she's saying let's start investigating if we want to do it and talk about potential songfests....no, IT'S ON! I kinda like that am sort of like, OK, send me a list, it's on, we'll do it!!!! I'm kind of excited.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good news Dan! I don't remember if you had done a duo in the past. Definitely makes the prep harder (covering more bases) but the band logistics much, much easier (rehearsal, equipment, song selection, consensus, etc)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Good news Dan! I don't remember if you had done a duo in the past. Definitely makes the prep harder (covering more bases) but the band logistics much, much easier (rehearsal, equipment, song selection, consensus, etc)

Correct less band mates less headache. Thinking of doing a duo with a sax player that is really good vocalist.

I believe smaler band configurations will be a part of the "new normal". Get ahead of the curve. Go for it. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I believe smaler band configurations will be a part of the "new normal". Get ahead of the curve. Go for it. :cool:

I saw this coming too.

My first gig was a Trio using a Yamaha QX-1. Sounded great having kicks and Bass sequences, plus vocal FX.

Going back to page one is easy for me, I"ve already decided no more Tributes or even bands for a while.

Me and a Guitarist doing HipHop and making it a live Kareoke where we have 3 different male and female singers.

Once we start playing more will want to come.

Even have a club right on the intersection of a Main Vegas thorough fare and the Highway.

Big parking lot, fast exit onto the highway to avoid the PoPo.

Start gigging on the 3rd of July doing weekends only 3 miles from the house.

Things worked out OK.4 months of pre production, Bass and kick mixed with LoFi and reverse Vox, all on the AkaI MPC Live in stand-alone mode.

Live vocal FX use the TC VoiceRack and Electro Harmonix auto tune/vocoder.

HipHop is easy and fun.

Going to be some fine trim too.

Get some.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Have you ever used an arranger?

I've barely touched the surface with my Pa1000, and something I didn't realize before is the degree to which you can bring in and out various parts. It all sounds like an automated boom-shaka-boom if you just press go- but if you just use the rhythms at times, or maybe bring in a bass line on some songs that follow your chords, or use the pads (4 buttons) that have cool everything (rhythm parts, rhythm guitar backing, whatever you need). And with each Style/rhythm, you've got 4 different keyboards sets associated with it, each Keyboard Set being sounds you can use in quite a few different ways. Like I said, I never knew how versatile and on-demand an arranger could be and how you can fade parts in and out.

Bottom line, these Styles were created by top notch musicians and the sounds are mostly stellar as well. I think the biggest obstacle is learning the arranger as an orchestrator would. Just because you're orchestrating doesn't mean you're not being musical (as in, Pressing Play does not constitute.... ), it means you've got limited resources (others to play with) but still want at least some rhythm support, possibly some bass.

But it definitely comes at a cost, it takes serious time, IME, to learn what's possible and make it work for you (lots of time customizing sounds, rhythms, etc.). I haven't come close to being able to use it except as a wonderful jam tool. These Styles are so well done that I go thru the different instruments, esp the bass and rhythms, and try to learn them. But truth be told I haven't really been able to use them much for actual songs without getting stuck in the dreaded arranger sound. I'm new to this and need input from people who can use these tools in a more skillful manner than myself.

But I'm probably wasting my breath telling you about this- you're probably going to go old school and be all about the APs and EPs. A singer and piano can be beautiful, that simplifies things and can be all you need.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Yeah, I was bummed to find out yesterday when sitting in at a friend's outdoor band rehearsal -- my first time playing with a full band since early March -- that I wouldn't be able to sit in with them at their upcoming outdoor gig at our favorite local brewery, because the current regulations prohibit more than four musicians onstage, regardless of distancing.

You know what bummed me out more? Someone calling the police on the outdoor rehearsal halfway through. I guess the one neighbor that wasn't in their cars or lawns enjoying the music didn't want to be even further inconvenienced by talking to the band about the volume, and figured it was worth whatever might happen if the cops showed up.

It's fine, I'm not bitter or angry about it at all.

Anyway, yes, glad you've got something fun and new cooking, Dan!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Having the ability to swing in and out of bands, singles, and duos kept me fully employed for 20 years. It makes a lot of sense - like others said especially now. It's the only thing happening in my area. That big outdoor addition that was just built onto a venue that I mentioned in another thread? They are hiring singles and duos for the time being. I know two other local venues that are doing the same.

Although tedious for some, I used to actually enjoy sequencing tracks - and then listening to the results in the club. I could say to myself "that's me, and that's me, and that's me" :D This was back in my pre-DAW days. You've got the production chops to do it all Dan, so it should be even more fun for you. Keep us informed :)

Small is the new big.

No, really, it is.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I like to either go big .... 7+ piece. Or go duo/solo. 3-5 pieces bore me usually. We don"t know why.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yes I played in a successful duo through most of the 90s but it was with a guitar player. Given that she doesn"t play any instruments, I"m guessing i"ll need to work on my guitar chops and sequence more of the keys since most guitar parts sound cheesy on the keys.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Great thing about a or duo, is that can easily go trio then quartet..... Once you two get tight, the other players are just "icing on the cake" . My wife and I do a duo, but sometimes a clients budget will be bigger or they actually want a full band, then we just hire the best players we can. Here in Texas there is no shortage of really good musicians that can play a gig without having to rehearse for 6 months. Who has time for that? My motto is "get the gig, and the musicians will come"

Best wishes to you with your duo, Dan.

That's great Dan. :) Hopefully it will help with your mood after all the stuff you've gone through lately.

My girlfriend and I are a duo, but we only play at home. Cathy sings and plays guitar.

We have (had) thoughts of wanting to get some gigs, but Cathy suffers from migraines and they are getting more frequent and we don't like the thought of needing to cancel gigs at the last moment so that shelved unless we can find a reliable treatment for her migraines.

So the plan at this stage is just to do some YouTube videos once my new studio is finished. We're crushed into a small bedroom at the moment which is not practical to film in.

DigitalFakeBook Free chord/lyric display software for windows.

I had approached this girl previously about doing a full sized 90's alternative girl band and she turned me down. I just assumed she didn't want to do anything. But turns out she was really interested in doing a duo, just not a full sized band. Lots of duo opportunities around here - plus, you only have to get along with one person, only split money 2 ways, and don't need all the rehearsals. I can record myself playing all my parts and send it to her to practice over, almost like Karaoke. We should only need to get together in person a couple times to verify everything's good. I was super happy with my duo back in the 90s - we never had a single conflict about anything and gigs were abundant.

Dan

I had approached this girl previously about doing a full sized 90's alternative girl band and she turned me down.

I can see one glaring flaw with this idea...

Being serious now, well done mate sounds like a really fun project.

My best gig was a duo (accompanying a terrific female vocalist) during the summer of 1984 in the Hamptons NY. I had a drum machine, three keyboards and the PA - total musical control. The vocalist also had a great rolodex, so besides the Hamptons, we played at El Morocco and other swanky NY clubs. It was relaxing to play alone and be the accompaniment. This was just prior to the Pennsylvania move for Ensoniq.

Steve Coscia