Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Prince's DX7 fetched $73K at auction

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

While we were discussing the possible 25K price, Prince's DX7 sold for $73K and change.

His Emulator sampler and disks fetched around $9500

The Emulator and his disks would be more interesting to me...

Do you know who acquired them? It would be really cool if they were headed to a museum.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Yeah the E-MU disks would"ve been more interesting, or his LinnDrum.

Maybe the DX had 'his' patches on it...but that is unlikely since Prince was supposedly mostly a 'preset guy'. You can hear it easily from the late 80"s onwards, when he got into stuff like the D-50 and ROMplers.

During that time he also got heavily into sampling and all that stuff would be cool too.

I dunno....it would be like buying Jimmy Page's ES335. He's not known for it, never appeared even in a photo with one, much less recorded with it. $75k would be astonishing for his original OBX, but at least it would make sense.

And regarding comment about this kind of money being spent in this economy: um.....the rich got richer by all accounts, from this pandemic. party like its 1999 Garth!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

A few years back I did the tour of Paisley Park, so I got to see a lot of his instruments up close â the purple CP-80, various famous guitars, the Purpleaxxe, a crazy grand piano that looked like it had been designed by Lamborghini, the clear plexiglass B3 and Leslie, etc. But the moment when I was really overcome with awe was when I saw the LinnDrum. I said to the tour guide, "Wait a minute... is that *THE* LinnDrum?" She knew what I meant, and assured me that it was. And that, of all things, was what made me feel like I was in the presence of something sacred.

Conclusion: we humans are weird, man.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey, bumping this thread. I just found out that my favorite music store (from the town I grew up in) actually sold Prince that DX7! Great people and I still shop there as much as I can. Personally sold and delivered by the owner, who I"ve known for years. Great guy.

From Facebook:

I sold this to Prince and delivered it to him during rehearsal for The Purple Rain Tour in October of 1984. He bought it from Music Connection in Forest Lake since we agreed to deliver it to The Met Sports Center, where they were rehearsing, and spend some time going through the new FM operating system and voices with him, which I did.( I actually spent more time at The Met Sports Center playing HORSE with his body guard, Big Chick, while we waited for Prince to arrive.) Oh yes-the original price $1895. Music Connection is still around today. Connectwithmusiconline.com

C7798-CA9-76-BB-435-A-98-D3-73-E7-BDED6758.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/105205060990/posts/10158232033265991/

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments