Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond Novachord

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweetwater had one at Gearfest 3 or 4 years ago.

And I played it. I should post a photo. Not only an amazing piece of history, but MAN did it sound good!

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Hmmm meaty.

Very interesting to me as i own an early monophonic valve synth / organ a Jennings Univox (yes earlier brother but not close kin of the Vox Continental and Jaguar (which i wish i never sold).

My univox is valve but it requires restoration. But dare i say inspires the same interest as the hammond but on a smaller scale. Its a portable 20kg suitcase with removable keyboard. A speaker and amp built into the suitcase. Late 40s thru 50s. One of the first portable synths / organs. And minikeys back then too. Very small keyboard with a wammy bar underneath to be operated by your knee when bolted under a piano or organ.

Made to taken to a gig or left bolted at home on the families piano or organ. The keyboard removed from suitcase and literally bolted under a piano or organ or placed on top or on a stand/table. Put the keyboard back in its case and carry it like a suitcase.

It was designed to emulate human voicings as well as "organy" sounds.

Mine needs restoration (though cosmetically nice) but due to my health and too many projects and not wanting my wife stuck with too many of my toys/junk ive been letting go of some of my vintage gear. But I find this little vox hard to let go of as it doesnt take up much room (size of a small amp) where storing the hammond would be another lot of space.

Thanks for this link i will check it out closer when up at my computer.

Sweetwater had one at Gearfest 3 or 4 years ago.

And I played it. I should post a photo. Not only an amazing piece of history, but MAN did it sound good!

Me too, and while I appreciate its historical significance, I quickly became bored with it.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

It's quite good. I think I have two; one from Soniccouture, and maybe the other from Hollo Sun?

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Trust me if you get one it will take a lot to get up and running. As someone who has inherited a ton of problems with keyboards tread lightly.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com