Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Thinking about getting the VPC1 Piano action controller

I'm seriously thinking about getting one. There's a ton of positive feedback on it online. PianomanChuck shows how quiet the keys are, which is a big plus. I can't stand that klunk klunk klunk sound of most controllers. There are some older threads here too, but people change their mind after using an instrument for a longer period of time. Be nice to hear all of your good and bad experiences/feedback. Thanks!
www.youtube.com/c/InTheMixReviews

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I played one a week and a half ago at Little Grey studio in Springfield, VA. Can't beat the action for piano. Actually, I was playing Wurli on V TINES, but it felt really good. Volume was being controlled via a Yamaha FC7 pedal. Vibrato depth (and anything else for that matter) had to be adjusted on the computer.
:nopity:

Excellent piano action. I believe it is what Nord stuck in the Nord Grand. A good friend of mine picked it up for his wife, it"s in the house, works great with the software piano libraries and some of them have actually done dynamic curve settings specifically for it.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Check that the software you are planning to control handles the triple sensor midi-implementation of the VPC1. I hoped to use a Kawai MP11 to control a Nord Stage 3 Compact but found that Nord did not react on retriggering via the middle sensor. Just a tip.

I played one a week and a half ago at Little Grey studio in Springfield, VA. Can't beat the action for piano. Actually, I was playing Wurli on V TINES, but it felt really good. Volume was being controlled via a Yamaha FC7 pedal. Vibrato depth (and anything else for that matter) had to be adjusted on the computer.

It"s my 'time out' board for when I want to get socially distant with all the other tech. It"s positioned where I can"t reach the pc mouse, knobs, sliders or do anything else other than play. I do have 2 FC-7 pedals under it; 1 for volume (thus far) and 1 for whatever other parameter I choose to preset it up for in the VST. Both pedals are connected through my MOTU interface. The VPC-1 can only accommodate the 3 pedal set that comes with it- no other external CV inputs.

For piano type sounds I love it. Some people here find the action too heavy but I think it"s all what you"re used to.

It sounds more and more like a perfect piano controller for me. I love heavy action keys! I usually buy my gears from Sweetwater. I don't remember ever paying for shipping with them, but looks like there is a shipping fee for this item. I gotta get a stand (piano chair height) too.

What do you think of this stand for this controller?

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OmegaStd--k-and-m-omega-table-style-keyboard-stand-black

Wasn't that the MP7SE action ? Just repeating what I thought I read on PW.

From the top of my head, yes, RH-III (used on MP7SE and ES8 among others) with modifications (it seems they removed the escapement simulation notch - there may be others).

VPC-1 uses the RM3II, according to this kawai page

I use this Profile stand. Heavy and sturdy. Not expensive either. My vpc is also in the bottom of it's flight case. Profile Keyboard Stands KDS450MA

Thanks Michael. Yes, that's the type of stand I'm thinking about.

I found out one of my friends who is a B R I L L I A N T pianist uses the VPC 1. This is what he had to say:

"This is one of the greatest controllers I've ever had. The only minor issue that it has is the fact that keys don't bounce back to the original position fast enough. It only becomes noticeable when you do real fast repeated notes. Other than that I can't think of anything else. "

I've had a VPC-1 for a while. It was kinda disappointing. All that expectation. Sat down. Started playing. Felt like a piano :) Reliable, quiet, heavy. It's just me and my technique again... The right pedal is a little creaky. For most of my playing that doesn't need half pedaling, I have the middle pedal assigned as a sustain pedal 'cause it's quieter. I did put lithium grease inside the pedal unit.

Regarding noise, truth to be told, I did mod a yamaha GHS to be a quiet keyboard. Put strips of contact felt where the yamaha strip was, which worked quite well. But then I was going to try to sell it, so I got a yamaha felt strip, and then it was noisy again...

I've heard only goof things about the vpc-1 but the quality come at the

cost of gigable weight, which keeps it at home for the shleping player.

Triton Extreme 76, Kawai ES3, GEM-RPX, HX3/Drawbar control, MSI Z97

MPower/4790K, Lynx Aurora 8/MADI/AES16e, OP-X PRO, Ptec, Komplete.

Ashley MX-206. future MOTU M64 RME Digiface Dante for Mon./net

What's a shleping player?

Check that the software you are planning to control handles the triple sensor midi-implementation of the VPC1. I hoped to use a Kawai MP11 to control a Nord Stage 3 Compact but found that Nord did not react on retriggering via the middle sensor. Just a tip.

I"ve heard this before but am not sure of the implications. Does this mean the Compact will respond as if it were a 2 sensor controller? Does it effect playability greatly? I feel controllers like the VPC1 and SL88 Grand are the only good options for the Compact because they have customizable velocity maps.

Something about this doesn't seem kosher to me. Maybe it's my ignorance, in which case I hope someone here will be able to enlighten me.

Doesn't MIDI transmit just simple "note on" and "note off" messages? If that's the case, then wouldn't the onus be on the controller to transmit the MIDI note on via the middle sensor?

Maybe this is a parameter setting within the VPC1?

What's a shleping player?

Do you want to lift that thing out/in your ride, up/down stairs on/off your stand?

Do you want to lift that thing out/in your ride, up/down stairs on/off your stand?

I'm a home player. My instruments barely leave my home studio. I do have light-weight keyboards for rare occasions. So does that make me a "shleping player"?

If you are considering the VPC-1, you absolutely owe it to yourself to try the MP11SE first. I had a chance to compare them directly, and thought the VPC-1 was sluggish and a bit stiff in comparison. I would really like to see the MP11SE action in a "VPC-2"

I'm a home player. My instruments barely leave my home studio. I do have light-weight keyboards for rare occasions. So does that make me a "shleping player"?

If you haul and move your gear from where ever to the gig and back or where ever

else then yes you are. If you made enough to afford roadies then you're one of the few.

If you are considering the VPC-1, you absolutely owe it to yourself to try the MP11SE first. I had a chance to compare them directly, and thought the VPC-1 was sluggish and a bit stiff in comparison. I would really like to see the MP11SE action in a "VPC-2"

I was just looking at it the other day. Apparently it has a whole different keybed with longer keys if I remember correctly. Reviews are confusing as always. Some say the VPC-1 is more piano like, and some say the MP11SE is heavier. I could've checked them both at NAMM 2020, but at the time I wasn't interested. It'd be nice to test both for my own curiosity, but I'm really after a controller than a synth or stage piano. I already have Kronos 2 to satisfy that category.

I was just looking at it the other day.

Like anything else, it might come down to budget. The MP11SE is $1000.00 more than the VPC-1.

:nopity:

Hi Sam,

If you can afford the higher price, get the MP11se. I own an MP11 and I was in similar shoes five years ago. For me, the ability to quickly fire up the instrument and get sounds is invaluable. The onboard sounds aren't going to rival a sample library (except the extraordinary Tine Electric Piano 1), but they are still quite good. There are many times I just want to play in a pinch and firing up my computer, loading Cubase etc., takes up to ten minutes. You also get pitch/mod wheels, four assignable knobs, a simple onboard sequencer/recorder, and of course the triple pedal assembly.

I don't gig (thus I don't have to worry about weight/portability), but the MP11 is the Swiss watch of actions. Yes, it's going to run you about three-large with a high-quality stand, but for me, it took away any instrument excuses. If a part or performance isn't right, it's not the instrument. It's me...

Best of luck with your decision.

Todd

Sundown

Working on: The Jupiter Bluff; Driven Away

Main axes: Kawai MP11 and Kurz PC361

DAW Platform: Cubase