Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Way OT: Auto insurance and a totaled car!

My 1996 BMW 328iC convertible has 77410 miles. Bought it used in 2000 with 41642 miles on it. Found a used hardtop a year or so later. For a number of years, it has stayed in the garage any time there is wet weather (I have a hoist for the hardtop). The hardtop stays on it in the winter, and the ragtop hasn't been put up in several years. Only gets a thousand or a bit more miles a year now.

The aluminum wheels have this nice looking pattern that is a REAL pain to clean after getting dirt or mud on them.

My wife has a 2006 Mazda Miata convertible, and I have a 2012 Chevy Volt. We did have a 2002 GMC Sierra truck till a year and half ago, when she gave it to one of her sons. So, I don't HAVE to drive the Beemer except when I wish.

5 speed manual, Miata has 6 speed manual.

When I DO drive it, I just love it more, it handles great. Paid for long ago, doesn't cost that much to keep it going. No reason to sell it or trade it.At this rate, it may well outlast me.

Can't be much help on the insurance. We only have comprehensive on the Volt, the other two are too old to continue carrying anything more than the liability that is required. No way we could likely replace either of them if something happened to vehicle for anywhere near what insurance would give us if car was totaled. I do understand the problem, my brother's Hyundai got wet to an inch or so above floor in last hurricane. He made mistake of letting insurance company know, even though it ran fine, no known problems. They totaled it, gave him money, and he had to replace the car.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a similar situation. Cosmetic damage to a 15 year old Saab convertible. My regular mechanic fixed it up and kept it very reasonable (mostly by not replacing the headlight wipers which were ridiculously expensive). I drove it a few more years and traded it in for a car for my daughter.

It may depend on your state laws, but going that route did NOT result in a 'salvage title' on the car. Either that or someone missed sending the paperwork to the state.

aka âmisterdregsâ

Nord Electro 5D 73

Yamaha P105

Kurzweil PC3LE7

Motion Sound KP200S

Schimmel 6-10LE

QSC CP-12

Westone AM Pro 30 IEMs

Rolls PM55P

My insurance co. (Geico) says the car must be re-titled if I keep it, fix it, and want to drive it legally. That's assuming it's officially declared as a "total loss." New York State law, says them. And that is the crux of my situation; I'll be fighting for having this car not declared totalled â even though right now Geico is telling me it is.

I appreciate the other replies. It's always nice to hear about folks that keep their cars on the road a long time like I do. I call it "getting your money's worth", otherwise known to my full-time-musician ass as "can't afford a car right now"!