Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

YA Virtual Happy Hour/WWKCFH?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Joe, Tom and I are on now.

dB

I'm at work again today, can't join in.

Join when you can!

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A bunch of us are on right now - Carlo, ITGITC, Anne, Theo, Sam, Tom Williams, and unfortunately, me.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Guess I missed the party. My daughter's having a sleepover and I had to make pizzas and entertain earlier.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

We'll use the following Zoom meeting link: https://cornell.zoom.us/j/94185593517 or you can enter the meeting ID 941 8559 3517 upon firing up Zoom.

You will need a password to enter because bots like to scrape the internet for open Zoom meeting links and ruin everyone's day.

The password is "clonk" with a capital C and a zero in place of the letter o.

Just tried now and had a nice chat with myself :D

We'll use the following Zoom meeting link: https://cornell.zoom.us/j/94185593517 or you can enter the meeting ID 941 8559 3517 upon firing up Zoom.

You will need a password to enter because bots like to scrape the internet for open Zoom meeting links and ruin everyone's day.

The password is "clonk" with a capital C and a zero in place of the letter o.

Just tried now and had a nice chat with myself :D

I did the same. Our overlapping time zones and opposing routines failed us ever-so-slightly!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Samuel B. Lupowitz, thank you for continuing to make this happen. I always have such a great time hanging out with everyone.

The conversation is always interesting. However, a few times that I dropped in, I noticed that Theo was providing transition music as people came and went... an exciting twist. We all wanted to join in with him - but then got on the topic of the nasty latency when trying to jam via the 'net. I want this to happen (without latency) so badly, but was again reminded that it will continue to be a dream and this topic has been covered ad nauseam.

Since many of the participants on yesterday's call are engineers, it's fun to hear that side of being a keyboard player. We discussed pipe organs and their inherent latency, including how it is noted in the writing of specific music for a specific organ in a particular environment to take into account the slapback/echo within the venue and the slow attack time of the notes themselves. Not an unexpected discussion by this group, but very interesting I think. Us keyboard players (so many of us) love to wallow in our geekiness. Kinda like a pig in mud. But then you get Tom Williams and Samuel talking about distance learning, the importance of facial expressions - even at 5 fps, and programming languages... It can be a good time to make another drink. :cheers: (Love U guys!)

And I believe we're losing db to the dark side. I don't know how many guitars he has accumulated recently (17?, 26?), but he can't stop talking about it. He says the music retail industry is booming - especially ukuleles. Playing music at home is becoming popular again. I don't doubt him. It will be interesting to see how this evolves with the new reality we're all facing. Interesting to note is that many of us said that although restaurants and other places are opening back up, not one person felt OK with going out to eat and such. There is definitely a wait & see approach regarding the new normal.

Markyboard made the trip to Long Island to set up the internet for his dad. First time his father has been on-line! They both joined us yesterday. His dad is a classical musician. It was very, very cool to have him there. Thanks for making that happen, Mark!

Kanker was in da house... I had to give him a thumbs-up for the Facebook broadcast he did the other day with his band - in the driveway... using only an iPhone. I was surprised at how balanced the sound was. I asked him what he had to do to get it to sound so good. He said that a lot of it had to do with the musicians themselves and how they self-mixed on stage so everyone could be heard clearly. The dude is a pro. It shows. Above and beyond that, Kevin is one helluva nice guy. Another calm voice in an otherwise crazy world.

I don't know what it's going to take to get more forumites to try this Zoom happy hour (day/week), but I'd like to see it happen. Where are BluesKeys and ProfD? Allan Evett did join us yesterday and it was great to see him. Carlo was there - and it was a treat that he could join us. And I have to give a shout-out to xKnuckles (Anne) for putting up with the semi-locker room talk. Just having her there makes everything very proper... such a calming presence in the the epicenter of multiple whirlwinds (the rest of us guys). I'd really like to visit them one day - once a vaccine exists.

But I can't come visit everyone any time soon. This Zoom hang has to be the next best thing... and it is! Listening to Carlo and Anne with their lovely accents, I can't help but smile. Hearing Theo noodle... he's kinda like a mad scientist in his laboratory. And seeing guys like Kanker and db in their studios with all the neat gear in the background - that's very cool. Of course, db's gear is all over the house! I tip my hat to his very lovely and patient wife, Rhonda, for putting him in charge of decorations and furnishings.

I'd like to see something put in place perhaps every other Friday afternoon/evening. I don't know for how long Samuel can keep the connection going, but this party is definitely worth the price of admission. ;) Again - to Samuel, Joe, and db, THANK YOU for making all this happen!

Keep the faith, my friends. You are ALL very special and this continues to be a most excellent hang. Time well spent.

Tom

ITGITC? :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

And I believe we're losing db to the dark side.

Only in that all my guitars seem to be dark finishes...either black or blue. :idk::idea::D

I don't know how many guitars he has accumulated recently (17?, 26?)

Recently? Four. :duck:

aOjjWra.jpg

Front to back:

Epiphone Dot (ES 335) semi-hollow body Blueberry Burst

Yamaha LL16 acoustic glossy black. I've had that one for a few years.

Fender Telecaster Custom black finish

Gibson Les Paul Melody Maker stealth finish

Gibson SG 1961 reissue (2006) with rare Sapphire Blue finish

...and the Sandberg bass, of course. I have three more of those.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Great evening - thanks all. It was particularly welcome as I have not had the best of weeks. It was wonderful to see you all and laugh and be cheered up and transported all over the world. Thanks Gassy Tom for giving us the masterchef demo of how to make a drink.... I felt rather underdressed without a lime in mine... It was really nice to meet your father, Mark. Please give him my best wishes and tell him that I would have loved to have heard some of his stories. Maybe next time.... :) I was delighted to meet Carlo and hear him play a little - but I would have loved to have heard a lot more. I very much hope we can have more sessions as suggested by GT. :D
"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

... We discussed pipe organs and their inherent latency, including how it is noted in the writing of specific music for a specific organ in a particular environment to take into account the slapback/echo within the venue and the slow attack time of the notes themselves. Not an unexpected discussion by this group, but very interesting I think.

Man, I hate I missed that conversation. Right up my gutter.

Markyboard made the trip to Long Island to set up the internet for his dad. First time his father has been on-line! They both joined us yesterday. His dad is a classical musician. It was very, very cool to have him there. Thanks for making that happen, Mark!

I hate I missed that, too. Hope to meet him sometime!

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Thanks Anne and Ken. Another discussion we held that maybe thread worthy pertains to songwriters that play keys as a secondary instrument . I"m not sure exactly how to state it but 2 that come to mind for me are Jackson Brown and Peter Gabriel (maybe?) Their keyboard lines are almost always simple but just so right for the songs. They"re not really thought of as keyboardist the way we think of Elton John or Billy Joel for example. Bruce Springsteen might fit into this category as well.