Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: What should I do with all my albums?

I really don"t want to throw them away.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Like, vinyl? You could sell them. If you don't want to bother pricing everything yourself, you can sell the whole collection to someone who will, assuming stuff is in good enough condition and valuable enough to warrant the time. Call your local record store if there still is one. Post on buy and sell sites.

I sold a huge accumulation of records quite a few years ago.

Condition is everything, so is collectablility. Most records are simply not worth much at all and buyers want desriptions that are not worth the time to provide.

I did well with 13 excellent condition (there is no such thing as Mint unless the original wrapper is intact and perfect) RCA Mono records from Elvis movies. I got about $12 each for them, thrift store find.

I did very well with a fairly worn copy of "The Beatles and Frank Ifield LIve" on VeeJay, mostly because the cover was in very good condition. Horrible record musically!!! I got $63 and shipping, bought it at a thrift store for 80 cents.

I ended up just selling things in "genre" sets. Country, Hair Metal etc. 15 to 20 records for about $1-$2 apiece. The good part is records are considered "media mail" and shipping in the US is cheap.

Flip them quickly before the summer comes, you don't want them sitting over the weekend in a delivery vehicle!!!!!

Or just donate most of them to Starvation Army and sell the best of the lot.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Album covers make cool art (IMO) so that is one option. Keep the coolest-looking ones and frame them, store the actual records.

After my dad passed away I did this with a couple of his favorite 1960s folk albums that he still had.

I seriously thought about doing this with cd covers--because I keep the cds in books anyway!--but obviously the size doesn't make for effective art.

I'm not sure it's legal to throw them away. Apparently they are made of some nasty things.

I have about 4k. Not throwing them out, but considering storing them outside my living spaces.

Simplest is just to sell them as a lot, locally, pickup only.

Even when they were made, records were shipped as little as possible because of the expense. Hence record factories existed all over the place.

They do often sound better than CDs, simply because CDs were so poorly mastered to allow very high volumes as car stereos got wild, and the 808 started to shake us.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Listen to them. I have a few crates of records and an old Technics turntable I found at a pawn shop with a decent cartridge, playing through a Rolls phono preamp into my stereo. It's a different experience spinning the vinyl. I particularly enjoy indulging when my kids are around so they can get exposed to it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

When I moved in to a small apartment from my house I had a lot of vinyl and videos still. I was lucky there are a couple used record and video stores in town so selling was going to be easy. I called the one I shopped at and they actually came over in a van and spent an hour or more going thru everything and gave me $3000 so I was happy my old stuff is going make others happy. Where I live now a small city there is one used record store and he buys stuff, doesn't pay much but better than just dumping it. On Amazon Marketplace I see Salvation Army and Good Will selling used music so you could always donate it so others can enjoy it.

If you can, copy them all onto your computer for ease of listening access, and then put them in boxes under the stairs and keep them safe in case the whole digital world implodes..... If you don't have any stairs you may - depending on how many you have - find it necessary to move house... :D

I still have my entire CD collection under the stairs....

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

Find an underprivileged kid who would love to start a collection of cool albums but cannot afford to, and give that kid a start in the joy of collecting.

I"ve done that with my old keyboards. Recently gave away one of my Quadrasynths to a young musician who only had a cheap Yamaha from Walmart. But what underprivileged kid has a turntable? ð

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Count me as Mr No One

I have a CD player in my Model T

I also have a Bose CD player.

Now that I have shown my credit as full on retro , I also have an 80 cassette collection.

But I digress..

I admire Erskine and Stern, that entire genre of great players.

Don"t get me started on my cassettes. I"ve been doing a massive garage cleaning and have found boxes of cassettes that still sound great. Old mixtapes, band tapes for learning new songs in 1987, even cassette singles, which were weird. ð I do have a cassette player in my vehicle, so I can at least go through those piles. So many are poorly labeled.

I found some 'virgin vinyl" albums that I likely overpaid for at the time. Remember when it was a thing? I have the Larry Carlton Japanese import 'Mr. 335 Live in Japan" in virgin vinyl. I don"t know how much audiophilic (?) difference it made on a live album.