Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Yup, lost my job

Kinda had a feeling. Not that I'm completely bummed, anybody who has followed my posts knows that I haven't been thrilled about my former employer's approach to cleanliness in the age of SARS-CoV-2. I'll have unemployment until the end of September with the Fed bump ending at the end of July. The good news is that the manager of the hospital lab I worked for from 2012 to 2016 is now over another hospital's sleep labs. She and I always had a great rapport and my wife and I wrote a glowing letter of reference for her when she applied for her current position. I called her within an hour of getting the heave-ho. Her lab has three openings and when their hiring freeze lifts in August my application will be on the top of the pile.

I'm getting too old for this shit. Onward.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ken, I hope whatever new gig you end up with is way better, though it sounds like your previous employer set the bar pretty low. Good luck, and enjoy that Moog One a bit more in the meantime, eh? :thu:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sorry to hear, but it sounds like you have a plan in place! Good luck in your new adventure!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Kinda had a feeling. Not that I'm completely bummed, anybody who has followed my posts knows that I haven't been thrilled about my former employer's approach to cleanliness in the age of SARS-CoV-2. I'll have unemployment until the end of September with the Fed bump ending at the end of July. The good news is that the manager of the hospital lab I worked for from 2012 to 2016 is now over another hospital's sleep labs. She and I always had a great rapport and my wife and I wrote a glowing letter of reference for her when she applied for her current position. I called her within an hour of getting the heave-ho. Her lab has three openings and when their hiring freeze lifts in August my application will be on the top of the pile.

I'm getting too old for this shit. Onward.

No kidding, right? Sorry to hear this, Ken! And yes, welcome to the club. Glad for new prospects for any of us here, but still the upheaval sucks.

Does sound like your likely-to-be new manager is far better than your last one. Though the money isn't as good for now, my upcoming July-start church gig appears to have a far better boss, too.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

NYS can't fund our grant after 6/30/2020. We originally were told we could get refunded but with the state on pause all grants and contracts are on hold. The university I work at will only pay my salary for two weeks after. I got a letter of lay off 7/17 so I am employed three more weeks. My boss is going around saying it's temporary. I really doubt it I have been through this shit with grant funded research.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

NYS can't fund our grant after 6/30/2020. We originally were told we could get refunded but with the state on pause all grants and contracts are on hold. The university I work at will only pay my salary for two weeks after. I got a letter of lay off 7/17 so I am employed three more weeks. My boss is going around saying it's temporary. I really doubt it I have been through this shit with grant funded research.

Sorry to read that, Jason. I hope it works out for you as well.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Man you wouldn't think hospital labs would be laying people off about now! (I'm completely and totally ignorant of how that industry works).

Glad you found something else so quickly!

I can vouch for how much a crappy manager can make life miserable. I have been at the same spot for 16 years, my new manager came in and it's pretty obvious she wants the old guys like me to quit. One did immediately, he could see how it was going to be. She has written me up (in a ridiculously-hyperbolic negative writeup) which is a start to a firing (not a layoff, in which I'd get severance). Besides that crap, like many businesses the virus and related recession may end up cutting me anyway, but I'm actively looking because each day of work is a stress-fest waiting for the next attack. All I can do is try to be Mr. Bland and present no opinions or actions that give her the slightest chink to grasp onto--it's exhausting and I've been having issues sleeping.

Besides there being way less openings right now, the problem for an old dog like me is that most jobs now are contract, which is incredible dangerous for an employee--they can simply say "your contract is done" at any point and boom. I'd have to get my own insurance and be looking for the next contract while working the current one. If I was younger it might be exciting, but at my age and with a family it's the kind of excitement I don't care for :)

Sorry to read that, Jason. I hope it works out for you as well.

Thanks Joe. I will figure something out.....

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I feel your pain. I made my living writing and doing grant funded research for 45 years. You can collect unemployment, but you always need to have the next project on the distant horizon. Eventually I started my own consulting business with a partner and that's what I've done for many years. It's good to be your own boss but you also have to be willing to look into the abyss and figure out what to do next. My last grant ended March 31, 2020. I'm now officially retired. Best wishes to you and yours.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

• 2 months later...

Against my better judgment, I'm going back to work. Right now sitting in my car awaiting general orientation at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. In late July I applied for several positions including one offered by my former boss at Centennial. At one point in mid-August I had 3 good prospects. Vandy was the only one who required negative covid tests from their patients 72 hours before a cpap or split study. They seem to be taking it seriously. I'll start at the lab on Thursday night.

And here we go!

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Sorry to hear that. I got outsourced in November (after 18 years). Finally picked up something through my network in May!! Was scary there for a bit. I wish you luck - stay motivated and active.

Edit: I see you got a new gig. Awesome!

... Vanderbilt University Medical Center....

I have a friend that works there, indirectly. He works for the company that does their billing program. Years ago his company implemented a rule, as many have, that said programmers are off limits and would no longer talk directly to customers. A rule that used to drive me crazy as a customer because it would take 4 times the effort to try and get customer service to understand my problem. Anyway, he and one other programmer ignored the rule and continued to take calls from people they knew. When the company decided to lay everyone off and outsource all the programming to India Vanderbilt said "Do what you want, but if you want to keep out business you will keep these two programmers and assign them to our account." So being nice and helpful really paid off in the end for him. He has been there 20 or 30 years now. Likes working with Vanderbilt Hospital. I also have friends that go there for cancer treatment, 4 1/2 hours away, and love it. It is a good place. Hope it works out for you.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Thanks, all.

Break a leg! You got this.

I sure hope so. Being Vanderbilt the emphasis in the sleep center is pediatrics. I've got a fair amount of experience with kids with sleep/neuro disorders but none younger then 2. Vandy does infants. Whee!!

I feel your pain. I made my living writing and doing grant funded research for 45 years. You can collect unemployment, but you always need to have the next project on the distant horizon. Eventually I started my own consulting business with a partner and that's what I've done for many years. It's good to be your own boss but you also have to be willing to look into the abyss and figure out what to do next. My last grant ended March 31, 2020. I'm now officially retired. Best wishes to you and yours.

AS a follow up I still haven't heard anything from NYS Unemployment. My severance has screwed up everything and it's been almost two months. With the state deficit I don't think funding for our research is coming back anytime soon.

noblevibes.com