Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I'm Officially Done with Quik Lok

I will no longer buy a Quick Lok product.

For a while I had a 3 tier Quick Lock keyboard stand. Several times, and the worst possible time, the knobs to tighten the stand would strip the threads, making it impossible to get it to be solid.

I got away from them for a while, and now I remember why.

I have an LPH-001 Laptop/mixer stand. Some time ago, the welds that hold the tray on failed, and I had to repair it using pop rivets. Plus, I've had to replace every bolt in the legs.

Now, the knob that tightens the legs in place has stripped. I can get by, but that's not the point.

I have some On-Stage stands that have been put through more then the Quik Lox, and are holding up so much better.

So for now, they have lost my business.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had good luck with Quick Lok over the last 30 years. I will admit that after they relocated manufactuing from Italy to China things aren't quite the same. Glad the On Stage stuff is working out for you. I have quite a few of their products also, haven't had any problems so far, knock on wood.
:nopity:

I had a Quik LoK stand fail on me several years ago. Fail me once, shame on you. Fail me twice, shame on me. No more Quik Lok.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I've been using the same Quik Lok two tier stand for the last fifteen years. Up until recently Quik Lok was very good about providing free replacement of stripped knob screws and bolts. I purchased a second stand a few years ago which is identical to the first stand. I need a part for my old stand and Quick Lok has not responded the last few times I tried to contact them. I wouldn't mind buying replacement parts but there is no way to place an order and I haven't been able to find suitable parts anywhere else.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Similar experience with Hercules. I got the double guitar stand on sale, same price as a single. I usually only bring one guitar to a gig, locking tuners make string changes fast.

I share it with the other guitarist or the bassist and it makes more space for our setup.

Slowly but surely, the hollow expanding pins they used to hinge the foldout lower braces, crept out and the braces fell off. I put bolts through them, secured with lock washer and nuts.

Last month we had a band live stream in a huge warehouse. I set up 2 guitars so I could switch quickly if needed and went outside to enjoy the day. When I went back in, my guitars were on 2 other stands. The lock for holding the neck braces at the chosen elevation had given way. My beater Strat hit the carpet. No damage done but what if I'd brought my 86 Gibson ES335?

Not acceptable. I was annoyed enough to just leave it sit and use another stand. Yesterday I looked at it, same problem. Crappy little pin that pushes into (and out of) a hole.

Another bolt and it's fixed properly this time.

They will hear from me, I've been in customer service and can be sickeningly nice if that's the best game. They will clearly understand me though, that is unacceptable.

When you pay for a stand, you are paying for protection, a SAFE place to put your gear!!!!!

I might have a Quk Lok mic stand, just generic Chinese junk if I recall correctly. Slowly but surely I've picked up K&M stands at Goodwill for $10 or so. I still have a pair I bought in the 80's that work perfectly.

Why is that so hard to do?

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

K&M no longer live up to their reputation, either. While the four-legged stands of theirs I own are rock-solid, the side-mounted laptop extension didn't last for three months of touring.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

On the stripping of the nuts for the tiered arms all they need to do is tap weld a nut inside the stand. The nuts cost about 1/10 of a penny each. Problem solved. But to a save a few pennies they instead bore the soft metal piece out that wears out over time. I am very careful to gently tighten these bolts and not flop the 2nd tier arms when loosened so that this soft metal doesnt get distorted. This is the weak point in my view. I've never had the scissor bolt fail.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I agree about the deterioration in quality with the recent Quik Lok stands. I've had an old Quik Lok tow-tier stand since the late 90's and it's still alive and kicking. But I've been through two newer Quik Lok QL-642 two tier stands in the past three and half years for the exact same reason cited by the OP; the knob holes for the second tier stripped after a just a few months. Quik Lok honored the first stand's warranty and graciously send me a replacement stand but the same thing happened again.

It's too bad because the QL-642 stand's second tier is very adjustable in height, depth, and angle allowing very close placement of two keyboards within a just couple of inches. Because I really like the QL-642's ability to stack two boards so close, I've thought about doing what Delaware Dave suggested and try to repair the stripped holes but I'm "mechanically challenged" to say the least, so I'll probably just let the my two QL-642's RIP in my garage.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)