Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Oops, I did it again...

picker

I went off the deep end tonight and bought a Guild f1225E tonight. I really shouldn't have, I don't need another guitar. But I've been wanting a 12 string acoustic for a while. I wanna see if I can do some slide on it. I got it used on Reverb for $400. Despite a certain amount of buyers remorse, I'm still excited to get it.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NICE!!!

Long ago, I went on a quest for a great acoustic 12 string guitar that I could love forever.

I had a couple of Ovations - great necks but I don't like the round back. I had a couple of Espana guitars, made in Finland by Landola. Neck joined body at 12th fret, no cutaway. Sounded and played good but not quite it.

I had a Taylor, neck was a bit too slim. I had a different Guild, a smaller "jumbo" shape with a pointed cutaway. Great neck, sounded good but it needed a neck reset.

Then 12 years ago, I found a Rainsong WS3000 on eBay. Seller was a music store, they sold the guitar and the owner brought it back after six months. $1,600, yikes!!! I bought it anyway because I wanted it and I knew it would be worth that if I decided it wasn't for me.

I still have it and I am keeping it. I LOVE a great 12 string, hope you found the happy one!!!!!

1127.thumb.jpg.159c0411e59436accf0a48918f8791a3.jpg

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It's twelve strings. So that's like buying two guitars. Yeah, that's the ticket. Sounds like a very good deal, in that light. Enjoy!

A 12-string Guild was always kind of the "grail" of 12's to me. I'm pretty happy with my Alvarez 12, but would still think twice if a Guild was available.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I've only own one other acoustic 12 before, it was a lawsuit era Takemine, and it really wasn't bad. I think I ended up giving it to a friend who needed it for some reason. I've had several electric 12s; a Mosrite that had a whammy bar if you can believe that(it was mising the handle and the spring when I got it), 2 Yamaha Pacifica 12s that I sold when I got in bad straits, and a 12 string strat kit that I built a year or two back. I'm an old Byrds freak, plus the Beatles, and the whole folk-rock thing. Great sound.

Fabulous.

I love the sound of a 12 string but, if memory serves I`ve only played one once.

It was back in my college days, a guy who knew his stuff well had a nice one, as well as

a snow white LP with gold hardware that I thought was gorgeous.

It was signed as well-his girlfriend won it in a radio contest and gave it to him as a gift.

Now that-is a proper girlfriend.

And yes, I am totally off topic.

Congrats Picker :)

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Yeah, when I think of a 12-string, I also think of Guild, although a lot of the old Guild (like 1970's) 12-strings were tuned down a whole step, to reduce tension on the necks.

Have fun with it, picker!

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Yeah, when I think of a 12-string, I also think of Guild, although a lot of the old Guild (like 1970's) 12-strings were tuned down a whole step, to reduce tension on the necks.

Tuned down is fun too!!! I've put really heavy strings on a 12 before and tuned it down to B, which is an easy tuning to transpose from.

You want to be the Bull Goose Looney at the open mic? The B tuned 12 string will get you there!

I've got an Ovation Pathfinder 12 from the mid 70's that will be getting super gigantic frets (needs a neck reset but those are impossbile on that model) to get the action down and it will be dedicated to low tunings. Probably a combination of bridge and soundhole pickup, to get those deep tones.

It's a different world, a low tuned 12 offers a huge low end plus the chime of the octaves.

My Rainsong handles standard pitch with super light strings easily.

It arrived, and it's pretty nice. There is a pretty obvious repair to a crack in the top, but it's fixed well. I've tuned it down to D, because it looks like the bridge is starting to pull the top up. It's not bad, just noticeable. I'm thinking about getting one of THESE installed. I wonder if it will fit with all those bridge pins sticking down.

It arrived, and it's pretty nice. There is a pretty obvious repair to a crack in the top, but it's fixed well. I've tuned it down to D, because it looks like the bridge is starting to pull the top up. It's not bad, just noticeable. I'm thinking about getting one of THESE installed. I wonder if it will fit with all those bridge pins sticking down.

Looks like it will fit.

I've never installed one (I'm a guitar tech).

I haven't read any terrible reviews though, so that's good.

Tuned down is fun too!!! I've put really heavy strings on a 12 before and tuned it down to B, which is an easy tuning to transpose from.

You want to be the Bull Goose Looney at the open mic? The B tuned 12 string will get you there!.

That sounds like an amazing idea! Where did you get heavy string sets for a 12 string acoustic? I've looked all over the web, and medium(54-12) is all I could find. I guess I could buy a light or medium set, the the high E's aside, and buy two heavier for the low Bs.

You want to be the Bull Goose Looney at the open mic? The B tuned 12 string will get you there!.

That sounds like an amazing idea! Where did you get heavy string sets for a 12 string acoustic? I've looked all over the web, and medium(54-12) is all I could find. I guess I could buy a light or medium set, the the high E's aside, and buy two heavier for the low Bs.

Somehow, I have this absurd stash of strings. Most Guitar Centers and lots of places online have incredibly heavy sets available now.

Intonation can be a challenge. On the Ovation I mention above, I plan to address that but it's custom work. I'm a guitar tech so I'll just do it. I'd hate to pay somebody to tweak all my stuff, would start getting spendy $$$.

For the build I am planning now, I want to use an octave LOWER string on the two high strings so all the strings are octaves. I've never tried that but it sounds fun.

That "Bridge Doctor", or something very much like it, is standard on a lot of Breedlove Guitars. You might want to check in on the Breedlove forums, there's a wide discrepancy of opinion as to whether it helps or not. Some Breedlove owners report buzzing and vibration, other swear by it?

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

That "Bridge Doctor", or something very much like it, is standard on a lot of Breedlove Guitars. You might want to check in on the Breedlove forums, there's a wide discrepancy of opinion as to whether it helps or not. Some Breedlove owners report buzzing and vibration, other swear by it?

I've heard nothing but good about them, but I haven't done much research. Thanks for the tip.

Was it our former board poster Bill (RIP) who shared that tip here long ago? I think he said he learned it from Crosby, Stills and Nash how they kept their priceless Martin, etc.,12 strings detuned to not ruin them or have to reset the necks. With that in mind, the acoustic 12 I bought was a Simon & Patrick (Godin) with a bolt-on neck. I think Taylors use a similar bolt-on style of manufacturing.

I went off the deep end tonight and bought a Guild f1225E tonight. I really shouldn't have, I don't need another guitar. But I've been wanting a 12 string acoustic for a while. I wanna see if I can do some slide on it. I got it used on Reverb for $400. Despite a certain amount of buyers remorse, I'm still excited to get it.

Buyer's remorse? Just play it well!

Looks like it will fit.

What gauge strings did you use for the Low Bs?

Looks like it will fit.

What gauge strings did you use for the Low Bs?

Going strictly by memory right now but I am pretty sure I used a set of extra light 12 string strings and just moved them up a string. So the fitfth string would be E and .46 for the low string. The sixth string is B and I believe I used a .58 or 62, somewhere in that range. I remember it intonated a bit sharp and felt just a little foppy. So I stayed down in the cowboy chords when I played the low strings. The others were fine

When I do it again I will probably just fill in the saddle slot on the Ovation and put tiny metal or bone saddles for each string so I can dial them in and then glue them down. Tedious but I want something really cool and I have a great 12 in standard tuning.