Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

2 Manual Organ clones

Hey everyone!

So, I've been considering going back to using a 2 manual organ.

In the past, I've owned several B3's; and a Porta B. So, I'm well aware of the usefulness that the second manual would give me...

I'm currently playing a Nord Electro 5D which I like a lot; as far as organ tone and leslie simulator, they are at least as good as most things out there today.

Of course, now that I own IK Multimedia's B3-X, I'm really spoiled,,,

I'm wondering if any of the current 2 manual organs out there can come close to the sound of B3-X...

Besides the Nord, the computer plugins I own are B5, VB-3, and Apple's logic organ;

But I really love the tone of the B3-X.

One big consideration would be that the organ manuals send velocity; and are at least as comfortable and responsive as the Nord. I have no problem playing piano on the Nord's action, as long as its not an Emerson solo! ;)

I've been starting to look into the Crumar Mojo 2 manual; the Viscount legend live; and I obviously know the Nord C2 organ sound from using my Electro.

So....as usual..your sage opinions are highly appreciated!!!

Tom

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Instead of asking what comes closest to B3-X, why not just use B3-X? i.e. pick the 2-manual board you most like in terms of feel and ergonomics, and use that to run B3-X on an iPad or windows tablet? I guess the potential issues there are latency, and the lack of "immediate" live drawbars until you move each of the nine...

I think Hammond SKX may be the lightest 2-manual board, if that could be a factor. Two sets of drawbars, and front panel Favorites buttons that can be programmed to include MIDI Program Changes to call up the corresponding desired B3-X presets might make it a nice way to go.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I'm wondering if any of the current 2 manual organs out there can come close to the sound of B3-X...

Depends what you mean by "close." All of these top tier clones sound very good. I could be happy with any of them. However, I don't think any sound as good as B3X. Only you can decide if that delta of difference matters.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I don"t even know if there"s consensus on which software B3/Organ is all around most desirable - for style of music, solo or in the mix, recorded or live.

Generally speaking lots of clones mimic many aspects of the real thing well. You should pick one where you like the chorus/vibrato effect. All can be enhanced by running it through an actual Leslie. Otherwise, a lot of folks use the Neo Ventilator to get around lugging that.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

MAG dual manual organs based on Keyboard Partner's HX3, with built in Mini-Vent.

https://diversi.us/dmorgans.html

That one is new to me. Looks interesting, especially with the included mini-vent. The HX3 sounds great in YT videos, maybe as good as B3X, but I can't make trustworthy comparisons based on youtube.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Also Crumar/GSI DMC-122 might be an option.

If you also add an Gemini expander board, you have a Crumar Mojo and a lot more, or you can drive your B3-X from it.

It have velocity, and even aftertouch, both can be turned off from the menu. When using aftertouch, you will loose the nice higher trigger-point for organ, but you can use several setup that can be easy changed with a few keystroke.

I have had mine for a couple of years, switched to a Mojo 61 for lighter travel with my band, but are planning to bring my DMC back in action together with my 147 Leslie. I really miss 2 manuals.

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=42

/Bjørn - old gearjunkie, still with lot of GAS

Also Crumar/GSI DMC-122 might be an option.. . .

https://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=42

Glad someone brought this up. Even if you're not primarily an organist, it's a really clever invention for a gigging keyboard player who does a lot of two-handed parts. If B3-X is your preferred organ sound and you're not averse to laptop/tablet onstage with you, this is also far and away your most affordable option.

Alternatively, you can buy an add-on module from GSi that locks right into the housing of the DMC-122 and turns it into a hardware keyboard, with the VB-3 organ and a host of other modeled sounds.

That said, I wound up getting a two-manual Mojo instead, for the look and the more organ-ic action. I just MIDI it up to a laptop and/or iPad for additional sounds.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

MAG dual manual organs based on Keyboard Partner's HX3, with built in Mini-Vent.

That one is new to me. Looks interesting, especially with the included mini-vent. The HX3 sounds great in YT videos, maybe as good as B3X, but I can't make trustworthy comparisons based on youtube.

Someone here (Darin?) posted a show last year where he played one, he got well-deserved accolades for the sound and playing. Didn't run it through a Leslie.

If I were looking for a dual manual to use with B-3X (not to mention the other cool iOS VIs I have) I'd go for the DMC-122. Not crazy about the end cheeks but they appear to be removable for a cool woodworking project.

Come to think of it, maybe that's the controller that should be on my radar. Merde. Here we go again.

Here for the gear.

Someone here (Darin?) posted a show last year where he played one, he got well-deserved accolades for the sound and playing. Didn't run it through a Leslie.

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3015940/re-mag-custom-organs#Post3015940

https://www.magorgans.com/?page_id=14

Mojo is a very nice price for a two manual clone. VB3 is killer. If I needed a gigger for an organ job it would be on my short list. I want to be able to pull the next registration on an inactive drawbar set. I really like having a 11 pin socket. It fairly light and compact and has both B and Bb tone bars. Back when the SK2 was current production the Mojo was a no brainer. The SKX looks cool but is $500 more.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Hmmm. Price has dropped on the XK-5 and the bottom manual ... since I last looked.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3015940/re-mag-custom-organs#Post3015940

https://www.magorgans.com/?page_id=14

Darren is a gun organist and speaks highly of the MAG. Worth checking out his interview on the Keyboard Chronicles Podcast too, if I may be so bold! Darren Heinrich Interview

I am a very happy Viscount Legend Live owner and player. It was the right choice for me. The area where I think it is the best is its leslie simulator. You are looking at instruments that all have good leslie sim, but this is the one that worked best for me. I think the organ tone and layout feel very good for me and I prefer many aspects of its build and architecture to its other Italian rival. I think it was the right sound and layout and also had the benefit of a leslie output if I wanted to use one ever.

A lot of players here like the Crumar Mojo, which has some modifications to the keybed and it also does the C/V better than the others. I don't want to say anything negative about it and considered that in my decision as well. I have a good road case fitted for the Legend Live and it is very reliable and sounds very good for my use.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

Am I right in saying a DMC-122 with the Gemini expansion would probably be the best 2 manual clone to pair with a Mainstage rig?

I can't really compare it to anything else as the DMC-122 is the only 2 manual board I've used, but I will say that as long as the physical layout meets your needs, it's quite good. Just make sure that the buttons, knobs, and drawbars fit with how you'd play it and want a controller set up. They're all assignable. I think the action is a good balance for both clone wheel and other tones, plus it has the high trigger point for the organ stuff. I wish the editor was a little more stable on Mac, as I find it a bit fiddly and crash-prone. But as you can assign all the controllers in MainStage per song, I think you'd probably want to just dial in a single setup (or just a small number of them), and then leave it alone.

"If you can't dazzle them with dexterity, baffle them with bullshit."