Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Words that are 'Broken' in Keyboard Land [mint]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Polyphony -- "Digital Piano featuring 256-note polyphony" ... but only 88 keys?

So you don't use the sustain pedal?

Unofficial Five-meter penalty for unnecessary snarkiness.

It's actually a good point that "polyphony" nowadays usually means "number of simultaneous oscillators," where it used to mean "simultaneously sounding keys." 256 oscillator polyphony, with four-osc patches in two layers, gives you 32 keys, which sounds a lot less impressive.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

If notes are sustaining while you play more notes, those count. If you layer sounds like a piano with strings, thats multiple notes of polyphony per key. Sustain those notes as you play more and they stack up in a hurry.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

That's true -- holding down the sustain pedal potentially consumes voices. But Tom nicely summed up what I was trying to say -- the max number of simultaneously sounding keys is usually much lower than the number of oscillators/voices. For instance, a digital piano may use two voices for playing back stereo samples, and a further two to provide seamless velocity crossfades. Thus a 128-voice piano can really only play back 32 keys at a time, which of course isn't bad, but you get the picture.

In the classic car hobby, the hot buzzword for the past few years has been "survivor". Originally meant to describe a car which is mostly all-original and unrestored (even if it has some scratches, rust and patina), the word now gets slapped onto practically any car under the sun and all the car-show spectators (and judges) fawn all over it. Hint: If you have a display stand by your car which shows photos of your car undergoing a 6-cylinder-to-V8 swap, or photos of your car getting a frame-off paint job, sorry, no, its not a "survivor".

From an IK Multimedia newsletter that just popped into my mailbox:

Syntronik Krazy Deal...Save 77% off the legendary synth powerhouse...Syntronik is a cutting-edge virtual synthesizer that raises the bar in sound quality and flexibility...

"Legendary" and "cutting-edge" in the same product simultaneously: the time-space continuum has been well and truly broken :pop:

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

Fr..

"Legendary" and "cutting-edge" in the same product simultaneously: the time-space continuum has been well and truly broken :pop:

That is really unfortunate.

when I appear in the next universe, I am going to be griping about the same ' broken ' words.

There is a silver lining, but I can't say it here because its political ;)

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]