Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: I don't have Albums, Bookings or Books

There are other things I don't have but its not very exciting

Example, I don't have:

- a keyboard amp

- a mixer

- 30 year old PA speakers for performing outside

- a 36 box set of all Yes albums

- manuals of old keyboards I no longer own

- old software from 1996

- phone #'s of prior girl friends

- email addresses of ex- bosses [ many]

- resumes for jobs I didn't qualify for

- clothes I fit into when I was 20 years younger

How about you ?

How do you cope with not having stuff ?

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had stuff for easily 20+ years. And then I moved. Now I have less stuff, significantly less. I"ve also watched loved ones leave/return to this earth and watched family deal with their stuff. Now I only keep what I need and what I use. If it"s not being used I pass it on to someone who would use it. Generally speaking, our culture and society is obsessed with stuff - popular stuff, well reviewed stuff, cheap junk stuff, rare stuff, common stuff, etc. If you prefer or are relegated to home life - stuff can keep things interesting. If you"re a hobbyist, find joy in the amazing things humans create - choice of stuff is very defining. However, as suggested earlier - quality of stuff is definitely preferable to quantity. Some folks reject stuff for experiences. To each his own. YMMV

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Easy to cope after moving a couple times and remember getting real tired of packing, moving, unpacking stuff I can't remember the last time a touched.

I had stuff for easily 20+ years. And then I moved. Now I have less stuff, significantly less. I"ve also watched loved ones leave/return to this earth and watched family deal with their stuff. Now I only keep what I need and what I use. If it"s not being used I pass it on to someone who would use it. Generally speaking, our culture and society is obsessed with stuff - popular stuff, well reviewed stuff, cheap junk stuff, rare stuff, common stuff, etc. If you prefer or are relegated to home life - stuff can keep things interesting. If you"re a hobbyist, find joy in the amazing things humans create - choice of stuff is very defining. However, as suggested earlier - quality of stuff is definitely preferable to quantity. Some folks reject stuff for experiences. To each his own. YMMV

you are a wise person at such a young age.

One of the secrets of ' not having stuff ' is to physically move your household- 3 times in one year is my personal best.

And when I moved the third time in that 1 year, whoa, did the lights go on:

"I am going to get a double hernia if I move all this stuff one more time "

[70's Songwriter]

I can't, I don't. I have everything on your list and more, lots more. To some less is more, to others more is more. I fall into the latter category. :guinness:

I admire your capacity to find deep wisdom in stuff accumulation.

I don't have that capacity, but I can find a virtual way to admire that skill ;)

BTW, do you have all the AOL start up CD's, versions 2 thru 4 ?

[70's Songwriter]

Easy to cope after moving a couple times and remember getting real tired of packing, moving, unpacking stuff I can't remember the last time a touched.

that's the problem with relying on girl friends to live with.

One mistake, like accepting free drinks from a babe in a bar and BOOM- next morning, all your stuff in the street.

[70's Songwriter]

I come from a family of stuff-keepers.

I've been making changes for many years and have less stuff now than I used to have. During recent times I've started selling anything that has value, giving away what I can to those who may have a use for it and tossing out all sorts of stuff that regrettably cannot currently be donated since all the thrift stores are closed.

It's an improvement but I have a ways to go yet. I just sold another guitar today, I won't miss it at all. https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3049651/demonic-possessed-guitar#Post3049651

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I've been making changes for many years and have less stuff now than I used to have. During recent times I've started selling anything that has value, giving away what I can to those who may have a use for it and tossing out all sorts of stuff that regrettably cannot currently be donated since all the thrift stores are closed.

It's an improvement but I have a ways to go yet. I just sold another guitar today, I won't miss it at all. https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3049651/demonic-possessed-guitar#Post3049651

please don't hurt our economy

Its up to you ! ;)

[70's Songwriter]

no, I'm not a hoarder. I collect antique clocks, antique radios, antique watches, antique furniture, in addition to keyboards. Oh yeah, and coins. I don't do stamps, though. I'll sell them off as needed during my retirement while drinking a Pina Coloda on South Beach. :)

:nopity:

no, I'm not a hoarder. I collect antique clocks, antique radios, antique watches, antique furniture, in addition to keyboards. I'll sell them off as needed during my retirement while drinking a Pina Coloda on South Beach. :)

ok, you passed the test. Prior to Covid, I prowled garage sales every Saturday

I miss those days. :(

[70's Songwriter]

Its up to you ! ;)

Then we have been doomed and are on the road to Hell as of about 20 years ago!!!!!!

I ran a recording studio from about 1998 to 2010. Still had the last Mac Pro I bought, along with assorted mics and cables. Got rid of a LOT of the auxiliary stuff (I kept an Audio Technica 2020, why I'll never know) and a while back the main hard drive on the Mac went bye bye. I was able to install an OS on a second internal HD, but I lost my recording software (Digital Performer) along with Ivory, EZ Drummer and a few other VI's, but since I'm not recording anymore, no big deal....the last 10 years have taught me what an INCREDIBLE money pit the studio was......

Example, I don't have:

How about you ?

I've been trying to locate a reasonably priced Yes Progeny set for years. I refuse to pay $500 for a used copy of an album that originally cost $70. (No, I don't want "Highlights," I want the full set.) Naturally, it's out of print, so I can't just go to the store and buy one.

I have lots of things:

I am a woodworker, so I have a full woodworking shop--table saw, band saw, jointer planer, surface planer, duplicarver (recent acquisition--still setting it up), lathe, etc. etc. etc.

I do electronics, so I have oscilloscopes, meters, function generators, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention about a half-million parts. Just fixed a Hafler DH-220 without having to put in a parts order because I keep things in stock.

I'm an author (award winning!). For that I need a computer, reference books, etc. etc. etc.

I'm a brewer (award winning!), so for that I need lauter tuns, boiling tuns, carboys, etc. etc. etc.

I'm a luthier, so I've got fret files, fret wire, mountains of cool woods, clamps, etc. etc. etc.

I'm a musician, so for that I have a full bass rig (six cabinets, mostly Ampeg, amps, preamps, etc.), a modest amount of guitar amplification (Marshall half stack, two Mesa Boogies [3 green stripe, 4], some pedals), and an assortment of guitars and basses, a hammered dulcimer, a viola, and...keyboards (more than I deserve). Oh, and the inevitable etc. etc. etc.

And that's not even a complete list.

The thing is...I do things. I mean I actually do things. I don't just sit on the couch and watch TV. To do things takes stuff (and time, but let's not go there...). I can't bake a loaf of bread (did I mention that I bake?) without a loaf pan and an oven. I can't change the oil in my car without a wrench. I can't rebuild the back deck without pry bars, a drill, and a miter saw. I can't fix the damned rusty-assed, too-small bikes my wife bought for the kids without tools.

I don't see how people live without having things available to do what they need to do. Most of the people I know own little...so that's why they're always coming to me to fix the shit they broke.

I'm trying to learn how to say "No" when they come whining to me about their most recent crisis, but I've been propping people up for so long that's it's difficult to stop. But dammit, I need time to do the things I need to do.

*sigh*

Sorry, didn't mean for that to turn into a rant.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Its up to you ! ;)

Then we have been doomed and are on the road to Hell as of about 20 years ago!!!!!!

And we are circling the drain to hell faster, LOL

Our positive affirmation of the day:

" Every slippery drain to hell has a Silver Lining "

[70's Songwriter]

Example, I don't have:

How about you ?

I've been trying to locate a reasonably priced Yes Progeny set for years. I refuse to pay $500 for a used copy of an album that originally cost $70. (No, I don't want "Highlights," I want the full set.) Naturally, it's out of print, so I can't just go to the store and buy one.

I have lots of things:

I am a woodworker, so I have a full woodworking shop--table saw, band saw, jointer planer, surface planer, duplicarver (recent acquisition--still setting it up), lathe, etc. etc. etc.

I do electronics, so I have oscilloscopes, meters, function generators, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention about a half-million parts. Just fixed a Hafler DH-220 without having to put in a parts order because I keep things in stock.

I'm an author (award winning!). For that I need a computer, reference books, etc. etc. etc.

I'm a brewer (award winning!), so for that I need lauter tuns, boiling tuns, carboys, etc. etc. etc.

I'm a luthier, so I've got fret files, fret wire, mountains of cool woods, clamps, etc. etc. etc.

I'm a musician, so for that I have a full bass rig (six cabinets, mostly Ampeg, amps, preamps, etc.), a modest amount of guitar amplification (Marshall half stack, two Mesa Boogies [3 green stripe, 4], some pedals), and an assortment of guitars and basses, a hammered dulcimer, a viola, and...keyboards (more than I deserve). Oh, and the inevitable etc. etc. etc.

The thing is...I do things. I mean I actually do things. I don't just sit on the couch and watch TV. To do things takes stuff (and time, but let's not go there...). I can't bake a loaf of bread (did I mention that I bake?) without a loaf pan and an oven. I can't change the oil in my car without a wrench. I can't rebuild the back deck without pry bars, a drill, and a miter saw. I can't fix the damned rusty-assed, too-small bikes my wife bought for the kids without tools.

I don't see how people live without having things available to do what they need to do. Most of the people I know own little...so that's why they're always coming to me to fix the shit they broke.

I'm trying to learn how to say "No" when they come whining to me about their most recent crisis, but I've been propping people up for so long that's it's difficult to stop. But dammit, I need time to do the things I need to do.

*sigh*

Grey

I am impressed. You are the Renaissance man of the forum.

Consider changing your name here, its low profile.

Yeah, don't cave in to a greasy reseller of the 36 Box Set of Yes.

Our standards have to be kept high, even while the rest of the world is searching for low.

[70's Songwriter]

My rule of thumb these days is if I haven't seen it or touched it in a year, I don't need it.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

T

My rule of thumb these days is if I haven't seen it or touched it in a year, I don't need it.

And I was going to write a " 50 Year History of Stuff "

I suppose I wouldn't get much history from you ;)

[70's Songwriter]

Most of the people I know own little...so that's why they're always coming to me to fix the shit they broke.

I'm trying to learn how to say "No" when they come whining to me about their most recent crisis, but I've been propping people up for so long that's it's difficult to stop.

Grey

Rule of thumb #2: Don't let on to people that you know how to do stuff unless you are prepared to be their go to guy in perpetuity.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Example, I don't have:

How about you ?

I have lots of things:

*sigh*

Grey

I didn't mention my work bench or stash of guitar parts, those are not optional. As I mentioned above, I sold a guitar yesterday. Now I can put something else together and sell it. Or somebody wil have something that needs fixed and I'll do that.

It's a tough life if you don't weaken! Cheers, Kuru

I recognize the signs of a hoarder in myself; unfortunately, I also recognize them in my wife, so our house is a bit of a struggle. In her case, it's old papers (and some of that is that she runs a home business). In my case it's gear and cables.

Most of us have some tendencies in that regard, if you've ever said: "Not exactly sure what this is, but it looks expensive and could be useful" then yep, you have it. If you've thought "I'll never use this, but it's worth something, so maybe I'll try to sell it eventually"--another key sign.

Realizing we were near a recycling center helped, since I was always hesitant to just chuck out out gear for environmental reasons.

Case in point: I have an older Mackie firewire mixer. I stopped using it, then lost the DC power supply (I HATE wall warts for this reason among others). Ordered another with the right specs, mixer only makes a loud hum. 1. I will never use Firewire again 2. I've already spent extra good money after bad 3. It doesn't work and 4. I only paid 50 bucks for it like 10 years ago. Why in the **** is this thing still sitting in my closet?

Clutter stresses me out ironically, so I have all the motivation in the world to get rid of stuff I haven't used in years.

I recognize the signs of a hoarder in myself; unfortunately, I also recognize them in my wife, so our house is a bit of a struggle. In her case, it's old papers (and some of that is that she runs a home business). Is.

I had my own business for + 10 years and was storing lots of tax records, support docs,,, etc.

Tax person said 7 years of records thus I recycled quite a few boxes- beyond the 7 yrs.

Tax folks vary on record keeping-- check with your tax person.

My wife is sensationally organized. she is a school teacher, so organization

is a classic strength.

[70's Songwriter]

Most of the people I know own little...so that's why they're always coming to me to fix the shit they broke.

I'm trying to learn how to say "No" when they come whining to me about their most recent crisis, but I've been propping people up for so long that's it's difficult to stop.

Grey

Rule of thumb #2: Don't let on to people that you know how to do stuff unless you are prepared to be their go to guy in perpetuity.

Too late.

One of my current parasites...er...clients (non-paying, of course) is the daughter of an old friend of mine. He gave her his stereo (he's, like, 80 or something and hasn't listened in years since he got a girlfriend and a subsequent divorce and an unbelievable drama ensued). He's completely non-technical. She's completely non-technical. Between the two of them, they managed to blow the thing to smithereens whilst hooking it up. (Bloody hell, the components had been stored in an outdoor shed for twenty-five years! It never occurred to either of them to do a cursory check of the gear before turning it on.) Then they're calling me because the experts idiots they called before me made things worse. Wunnerful. The thing that really stings is that I haven't seen this chick since her wedding, and that was fifteen or twenty years ago. Yet, she's fawning all over me and telling me what a good friend I am. Good friend? Why haven't we heard from her since her wedding? Silver lining to the Covid cloud: I haven't had to go work on the stereo since they started locking things down. Ha! You can believe I'm going to milk this isolation thing for all it's worth.

Yeah, I'm a little more circumspect about talking to people about this kind of thing and if it does come up, I begin making it clear that I'm not going to be their repair guy, right then and there.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

I didn't mention my work bench or stash of guitar parts, those are not optional. As I mentioned above, I sold a guitar yesterday. Now I can put something else together and sell it. Or somebody wil have something that needs fixed and I'll do that.

I love building guitars. I start from raw sawmill planks and when I'm done I've got something that will make music. It's as though there's some sort of magical spell that takes a mute piece of wood and transforms it into an instrument.

I've almost got the duplicarver set up. I've borrowed a template of a '50s Les Paul top and hope (cross fingers) to get back to a neck-through Les Paul-ish guitar (Florentine cutaway, not Venetian, and the headstock is different--straight string pull instead of cocking off to the sides like a true LP) I was building before I got pulled away to do other things.

If I can get that done, I want to build a double-neck 6 & 4, but I'm not going to let myself get that hopeful. I'll be grateful if I can get this LP-ish guitar done.

Grey

I love building guitars. I start from raw sawmill planks and when I'm done I've got something that will make music. It's as though there's some sort of magical spell that takes a mute piece of wood and transforms it into an instrument.

I've almost got the duplicarver set up. I've borrowed a template of a '50s Les Paul top and hope (cross fingers) to get back to a neck-through Les Paul-ish guitar (Florentine cutaway, not Venetian, and the headstock is different--straight string pull instead of cocking off to the sides like a true LP) I was building before I got pulled away to do other things.

If I can get that done, I want to build a double-neck 6 & 4, but I'm not going to let myself get that hopeful. I'll be grateful if I can get this LP-ish guitar done.

Grey

Nice, I am the adopted brother of a Lummi Elder who has built over 100 race canoes. He is now interested in building a guitar, he has the woodshop that I do not have and connections for high quality spruce and flamed maple.

I have a small stash of nice wood, some old growth Honduras Mahogany (thrift store furniture!!!!) and a few pieces of Minnesota black walnut from Grandpa's farm - I was there when they felled the tree and had the sawmill guy lumber it up. We put it up in the rafters in Fresno with the ends tarred for decades.

There is one nice piece of that - quarter sawn - that I am dying to build a solid body electric guitar that culminates all of the things I've learned to love as a player. His family is cranking out canoes right now but we are making plans to do something reasonably soon. That piece will be the neck

Meanwhile, I have a "Tele" that I built from lumber that has been sitting around for many years in a partial state of completions. These stay at home days have been productive and that one is in the queue now. It will be a special guitar too.

The LP I'm building has a nice flamed maple top, but the back is black walnut instead of mahogany.

Well, poop...I was going to attach a picture or two but the program is bitching at me because the files are too large. I'm too ragged out to try to shrink them down--the damned table top for the duplicarver weighs close to 200 pounds and I ache all over after installing it today. Maybe after I get some sleep.

Grey

Too late.

One of my current parasites...er...clients (non-paying, of course) is the daughter of an old friend of mine. ... Yet, she's fawning all over me and telling me what a good friend I am. Good friend? Why haven't we heard from her since her wedding?

Yeah, I'm a little more circumspect about talking to people about this kind of thing and if it does come up, I begin making it clear that I'm not going to be their repair guy, right then and there.

Grey

That sounds all too familiar. I used to be the extended family, neighborhood, long-lost friends of friends, etc. computer fixer upper guy until I crafted a one size fits all brush off response. "Well, since I've gone back to working for a large company, I have an IT department that handles that sort of thing, and I really haven't kept up with current technology. I'd hate to do something wrong and damage your computer. Maybe I can check to see if one of the company techs would be interested in moonlighting to make a few extra bucks..." Best. Buzzkill. Ever.

-Mark Twain

I recognize the signs of a hoarder in myself; unfortunately, I also recognize them in my wife, so our house is a bit of a struggle. In her case, it's old papers (and some of that is that she runs a home business). Is.

I had my own business for + 10 years and was storing lots of tax records, support docs,,, etc.

Tax person said 7 years of records thus I recycled quite a few boxes- beyond the 7 yrs.

Tax folks vary on record keeping-- check with your tax person.

My wife is sensationally organized. she is a school teacher, so organization

is a classic strength.

I believe these days it is legal to go paperless--or at least one real estate lawyer we visited had NO books or papers whatsoever kept in their office. I remarked on it and they said they have a scanning system (or service) that puts it all up to a cloud service for them.

This requires a beefy expensive scanner though unless you want to hand-feed one sheet at a time for thousands of documents :) And of course you have to take the time to name and organize them appropriately.

Paper is not only space-eating but it can collect dust and mold and starts breaking down.