Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Interfaces with drivers that work with PowerPC <OSX 10.6?

Hi everyone,

I thought about posting this in the SSS forum, but I think it might be a better fit here. I have an old iBook G4 (1.07 gHz PowerPC, not Intel) with 1.25GB memory and currently running Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger. I can go up to 10.5.8 Leopard. Anyways, it has two USB 2.0 ports and a FireWire 400 port. I have a USB 2.0 mixer, a Yamaha MG10XU, that's supposed to be class compliant on Mac (there are no drivers). While it works fine with other equipment, it doesn't work with the iBook. The iBook will completely freeze up as soon as I try to set an output or input to the mixer from Garageband 1.1 or Logic Express 7. It occurred to me that the problem might actually be the lack of an Intel chipset. This thing is old enough that there hasn't been any kind of support for over ten years.

Do any of you know of an audio interface that works with PowerPC G4 processors and a Mac OS below 10.6 Snow Leopard?

Thanks!

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I were in your situation I would contact MOTU support. I mention them because they've been around for a LONG time and were Mac-centric until recently. They also have excellent customer service.

I used to run an original 896 Firewire 400 interface on an old Mac laptop. It was the last version that could run either System 9 or 10, got left behind a LONG time ago. It is gone, I killed the drive and gave it away.

Chances are you could find an original model, or an 826? ( I think that's right?) for pretty cheap. MOTU may still have the drivers, deep in some dusty quadrant of a floppy disk somewhere. :laugh:

I do have a couple of Firewire 400 cables still laying about it you need one. Pay the postage and you can have. PM me.

I hope and pray that I am done with the old world. Thunderbolt 2 is officially old but it rips along nicely and there are adapters for Thunderbolt 3/USB-C. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

• 2 weeks later...
Hey MMM, do you need audio, MIDI, or both? I actually have some legacy hardware that I will never be able to use again that might do very well for you on that machine - it worked and works well on my G4 Powerbook running 10..4.11 that until recently was my emergency live performance and streaming machine. PM me if interested.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Audio and midi both would be ideal, but separate would be okay as well. I"ve got one FireWire 400 port and two USB 2.0 ports on the iBook. PM"d, thanks.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

Audio and midi both would be ideal, but separate would be okay as well. I"ve got one FireWire 400 port and two USB 2.0 ports on the iBook. PM"d, thanks.

A used RME Fireface 400 in good working condition would be ideal IMO.

Mac OS X (10.3 or higher) PPC and Intel: Core Audio, Core MIDI. Full hot-plugging. Up to three units operational.

Connectivity

18 Input / 18 Output channels

8 x Analog I/O

1 x ADAT I/O or 1 x SPDIF I/O optical

1 x SPDIF I/O coaxial

2 x MIDI I/O

2 x Firewire 400

1 x Word Clock I/O

2 x Mic Preamp with digitally controlled gain

TotalMix

:)

A.C.

Thanks A.C.! I just got a Presonus Firebox in the mail a couple of days ago...now I need a FireWire 400 cable and a lot of retailers have them out of stock naturally. The eBay listing said it came with a 400 cable (not pictured), but it actually came with a Firewire 400-to-800 cable, which is of no use to me. I'm PM'ing you Kuru!

Thanks A.C.! I just got a Presonus Firebox in the mail a couple of days ago...now I need a FireWire 400 cable and a lot of retailers have them out of stock naturally. The eBay listing said it came with a 400 cable (not pictured), but it actually came with a Firewire 400-to-800 cable, which is of no use to me. I'm PM'ing you Kuru!

We'll get you fixed up soon!

Did you ever get the cabling you needed, Max? If not, ping me... I have about a bazillion FireWire cables I could give to a good home in exchange for a couple bucks (or the promise of a pizza someday) for shipping...

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music

Did you ever get the cabling you needed, Max? If not, ping me... I have about a bazillion FireWire cables I could give to a good home in exchange for a couple bucks (or the promise of a pizza someday) for shipping...

I sent him 2 cables for shipping, should be there Friday latest. I still have a couple laying around. Firewire was great while it lasted!

I sent him 2 cables for shipping, should be there Friday latest. I still have a couple laying around. Firewire was great while it lasted!

Yep! They"re about five hours away right now. We will see.

Yep! They"re about five hours away right now. We will see.

Priority was 3 days until recently so 5 days is probably pretty realistic. That would be tomorrow, on regular delivery. In the morning, tracking would show 'Out for Delivery."

Correct. Although I"ve noticed it will sometimes switch to 'out for delivery' later in the day if they"re running ahead of schedule a bit. :)

Yep, sorry I"ve been in sort of a time crunch. Cables are working great, as is the Firebox. Thank you again! Now to fix the outdated software licensing issue...