Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Super light 2-board rigs

I always like to keep my rigs light, but sometimes I really want it as light as possible. Like when a gig involves a couple of flights of stairs or other such obstacles... yet I still really want to go with two boards instead of one, for the advantages so often discussed in the past. Adan just posted about his superlight rig (with photos) at https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3048770/re-yamaha-yc61-announced#Post3048770 -

What I like about this setup:

1) 110 keys and under 25 lbs total

2) keybeds very close together

3) keys are all same shrunk Yamaha size, so no recalibrating moving one to the other keyboard

4) stand is light and needs no assembly

MX49 midi'd to YC61, not using MX sounds. The MX keybed not as good for playing, but good enough in a supporting role.

YC makes it easy to change the assignment of external keyboard on a per program basis. Can be a Keyboard "A" or "B," upper or lower organ manual.

Nice setup, though as I've mentioned, I find 61 a bit claustrophobic as the biggest board of a rig.

IIRC, the lightest rig I ever did, for a situation where I really needed something as light as possible, was an MOX6 on bottom and a Korg Microstation on top. 122 keys and about 21 lbs. But it was not very satisfying. As I said, 61 keys cramps my piano style, the MOX6 keys are also poor for piano playing (similar to that MX49), and I can sometimes be sloppy on the Korg's mini-keys (though sometimes they can also be kinda fun to play).

Today I'd probably choose from these:

BOTTOM...

Numa Compact 2/2X - 15.6 lbs, shallow so the two keybeds stay close, aftertouch. Shortcomings: While the action is certainly not the worst semi-weighted for piano, it's not so great, either. Patch selection is awkward... it's nice that they added the feature that you can determine which sound comes up by default for each category button, but that still limits you to 8 sounds available directly from buttons without using the scroll knob, and each must be a sound from its own category (so it's impossible to have one button for Rhodes and another for Wurli, since they're both in the EP category). I'm thinking that this could be addressed by putting a smartphone on its front panel for patch selection, if I want to pursue that.

I'm thinking about a Vox Continental 73 for this role. Compared to the Numa, it means losing 15 keys and aftertouch and the flexible split and MIDI functionality, but having finally played one recently, the action really is way more enjoyable to play, and I generally prefer its sounds, and even though it has only 4 patch select buttons, you still quickly have access to more sounds (of your choice), through a variety of mechanisms. And if you're setting up all your stuff as presets and the only buttons you really need access to are the patch buttons directly above the keys, you can cover much of the panel with your top board if you want, to maintain the advantage of having your top tier keys very close. It's a bit heavier at 18.5 lbs.

If I'm willing to move up in weight again, weighing in at 22 lbs, I have the Nord Stage Compact 3. I still have to get around to installing the alternate springs I got, but at least until then, I'd say this is a noticeable step down in key feel from the Vox. The Nord is certainly much more capable overall, but it's a mix as to which sounds I'd like better on which board. And you definitely feel its 22 lbs over the 15.6 I started with... if that's okay then one could consider, say, the PX5S at 24 lbs for an actual hammer action... drawing a line matters at some point.

If there were a 7x-key version of the YC61, that would be worth a look here, too.

TOP...

That MX49 is a good starting point here, at about 8.5 lbs. If I'm not doing LH bass, I can get by okay with 49 keys for the top board. A nice feature of the MX49 is that the 16 buttons can function to change which of 16 MIDI channels you're transmitting on. So if you connect an iOS device (negligible added weight), there's another whole source of sounds, which you can easily switch among just by clicking the channel buttons... and the MX's audio-over-USB feature means integrating the external audio is a cinch. (BTW, if you wanted to go even lighter, that Microstation can also be setup so that its 16 buttons initiate transmission on 16 different channels, even with Program Changes, for good iOS sound integration.) ETA: Korg Kross 2 is another good option here, same weight but 61 keys, and generally more flexible.

Another 49 key possibility would be the AX-Edge, at about 9.3 lbs (though awkwardly and unnecessarily long). That adds aftertouch, and the ability to actually use it as a keytar now and then for fun. The ten front panel buttons for favorites (of which there are ten banks) can also include (multiple!) MIDI Program Change (and channel) commands, so this should also be flexible for integrating more sounds from an iOS device.

TOP IF I'M DOING LEFT HAND BASS...

LHB adds another wrinkle (since, as I've discussed before, I prefer to do LHB on my top board... and in this case, none of my lightweight bottom boards are especially good at LH bass either, for one reason or another, which makes it doubly important for the top board to handle it well).

Smallest/lightest is probably the Juno DS61. Even though it's only 61, it's more flexible for splits than many other 61s because it's very easy to octave shift just one of your split sounds on the fly, which really helps address the possibility of running out of keys on a split 61. It's also easy to balance the LH/RH sounds, seamlessly switch to a different RH sound while keeping your LH sound going, and (I think, haven't tried it) pan your bass sound to the opposite side of everything else (for sending bass alone to its own channel on the band's mix board, or to send the bass sound to a bass amp, though that latter isn't something I'd be doing in a super-light scenario!). We're up to 12 lbs on this one. There are some other 61s that handle LHB splits about as well (Casio MZ-X300/500 and Korg PA700/1000 come to mind), but the Roland is the lightest, that I'm aware of.

If I'm willing to push the weight a bit, LHB is still nicer on a board with more keys. The DS76 is 15.25 lbs, or for a preferred sound and feature set, another pound (and some more $) gets you a MODX7.

For stands, I have my Invisibles and K&M 18880/18881, which are both super light.

I don't know whether anyone will find that helpful, or have some different ideas, but whatever, there it is!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My lightest 2 board rig:

K&M 18880/18881 stand

Top: IK Keys37 Pro feeding iPhone 6 (no SIMM, only Module and iFretless Bass)

Bottom: Samson Carbon 61 feeding iPad Mini 2 (above apps and a bunch more apps)

QSC K10 (each IOS device into one channel

Expression pedals and switch pedals as needed

Cabling and power supplies/chargers.

The iPhone and all needed cabling fit into the Keys Pro case. The iPad and all needed cabling/power fit into the 61 key gig bag. I haven't really setup the 2 board rig so far, but have used each half of it for some outdoor playing.

Absolute minimal rig: iPad 5 (for larger screen), use iFretless Bass and play the virtual strings on the touch screen. Cable to amplifier.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Does the Yamaha P121 (22 lbs.) have a place in your lightweight rig? I don"t own one but I"ve played it a few times and am fond of the action and AP. I"ve been itching to buy one but haven"t pulled the trigger yet. Since I already have a Casio PX-S3000 and it weighs just 3 pounds more it"s hard to justify also buying a P121.

But where will you put your Kurz?

Not in my super-light 2-board rig. ;-)

Does the Yamaha P121 (22 lbs.) have a place in your lightweight rig?

I haven't played or heard one, but I have an aversion to anything that doesn't have standard MIDI connections. Interesting to consider, though, that that gets you a hammer action at 22 lbs, the same weight as the Nord SW. As I said, that Nord may have already been pushing the limit weight-wise, but if 22 is okay, the P121 does provide a hammer action if that's more of a priority for someone, and if the P-121's limited sound and feature set is sufficient. Personally, I think the trade-offs are too much, unless I happened to really love the sounds and action. Though to be fair, I was looking strictly at weight, sound, and functionality, and really didn't consider the budget aspect at all. If you're trying to achieve something at a price point, that could also create an opening which the P-121 could help fill.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

My kind of thread! ha. The YC on top of the P121 is also a good rig with lots of bang per pound. The P121 connects to IOS over USB with 2 way audio.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

My kind of thread!
Mine too. My record is a NS2 compact on top, and a Yamaha NP31 (bought secondhand, as its successor NP32 has no 5-pin MIDI) - for a prestigious gig at London's O2 Arena (well, the VIP lounge thereof). A longish hike across from the car park on my trolley. IEMs for light weight too. The Nord brings a lot of sonic capability, and the NP31 is just a controller (no mixer needed = more weight saving). It has a graded keyboard - and I really like the feel of the "heavy" bass notes. If only they could match that feel up the whole keyboard...

The YC on top of the P121 is also a good rig with lots of bang per pound. The P121 connects to IOS over USB with 2 way audio.
The P121 has been on my radar for a while, but (like Scott mentioned) the lack of 5-pin MIDI rules it out at the moment. If Yamaha give the YC the ability to be a USB host, then P121+YC61 sounds pretty amazing.

Cheers, Mike.

Mine is light:

- DMC-122 with Gemini module for backup (sorry only 61 keys)

- Mac Book Pro 2015 15" i7 running mainstage

- 3 unit rack with RME Fireface UCX and all cables connected to UCX and power.

- Enough room in rack for iPad, MBP, pedals and in-ear/headphones

- X-stand

With clothes bag it takes me two runs from the car to stage, without clothes bag it can be done in one run.

Setup time: 5 minutes, take-down time: 3 minutes

Nord Piano 5-73, Nord Stage 3
Author of QSheets: The fastest lead sheet viewer in the world that also plays Audio Files and send Program Changes!
https://qsheets.eriknie.synology.me/

If you're considering the JUNO DS61, maybe also consider the Korg Kross 2. I use it for my top board - weighs in at 8 lbs. You can set it up to octave shift the way you described if needed.

Kross 2 is a nice board, and I love the weight. If playing a 2-way split (bass + whatever), I'd be curious to know if there is indeed a way to quickly shift the octave of just your right-hand sound up or down, and also a way to change your right hand sound without glitching your LH bass playing, and also to quickly adjust the volume of your bass and RH sounds individually. It was not immediately apparent to me that these things would be possible, but I've spent very little time on one.

My lightest rigs have been either an SK-1 or a FA-06 on top of a Yamaha MODX7, with a lightweight stand I can carry the whole rig...

My issue with a MODX7 on bottom is that I can't get on with its action for piano work. I wonder if it might be better to use the SK1 to trigger the MODX' pianos, I think it might have your most piano amenable action of the bunch?

My lightest rig ever was a Nord electro (ironically, a metal and wood keyboard) and a Yamaha modx7. I sold the electro and was going to get a Nord stage compact for one-keyboard gigs but the virus halted that for now at least.

My ultimate plan was to maybe sell the modx7 as well--as much as I like it--in order to fund a knobby synth as my interests have gone back to synth big-time. A nord stage 3 + a prophet rev2 or hydrasynth :) Wish the hydra was 61 keys though.

I was thinking maybe to get a Stay stand even though I love my spider pro--that thing is heavy and doesn't match well with a "light rig".

My thinking with the P121 is that it would handle AP and EP (I regret that I haven"t tried its EPs yet but feel optimistic since I usually like Yamaha EPs) and the top board would then handle everything else. So, no need for Midi. I"m drawn to the simplicity of it.

Al, the P121 AP is plenty good enough for me, but the EPs don't make the grade. I'm pretty obsessed about having a good EP sound, and in my current bands I use EPs far more than APs. Someone else might find them good enough. But the P121 EPs are not close to the quality of those on the YC.

Using Neo Soul Keys with the P121 is easy, so the onboard EP sounds are a non-issue. I can switch between Neo Soul for EPs and the onboard AP sounds by turning local control on and off, though that's not a superfast switch, it's fast enough for doing between songs. Or use an AP app.

Rig ergonomics -- an ipad mini in its propriety apple folding case, which is magnetic, will stick firmly to the speaker grid on either side of the P121. That's a nice way of supporting the ipad if your top keyboard allows for it. The YC does allow for it if it's moved a few inches off center. Or just use an ipad stand.

Yes, it's a bummer the YC is not a USB host. I'd love it if the P121 could play YC sounds.

For a 2-board rig, I am also in the traveling light camp. Depending on the gig (when there were gigs), I use any combination of NS3, MX49 or SK1 along with an ipad on a K&M 18880/18881 stand. I wish I bought that stand years ago, it can't get any lighter.

Has anyone tried one of these - https://www.midi-store.com/Kenton-MIDI-USB-Host-MkII-p/sku44975.htm . These are supposed to work with any of the Yamaha P series or new Casio's that do not have a 5-pin MIDI jack.

Kross 2 is a nice board, and I love the weight. If playing a 2-way split (bass + whatever),

I'd be curious to know if there is indeed a way to quickly shift the octave of just your right-hand sound up or down, and also a way to change your right hand sound without glitching your LH bass playing, and also to quickly adjust the volume of your bass and RH sounds individually. It was not immediately apparent to me that these things would be possible, but I've spent very little time on one.

Easily solved by creating a Combi, then copy it to the next user bank and change the octave thus a simple switch from one Combi to the next but remember the Kross 2 does not have SST.

On the fly individual volume changes in a Kross 2 Combi is not easily possible.

Col

Even when I don't go super light, I'm still usually very focussed on weight. There has been the occasional gig where I've used the SV1 (about 38 lbs IIRC), but on the vast majority of my gigs, the bottom board has been in the 24 to 28 lb range (usually the latter). So my focus in my post was for when even that is more than what you want to deal with... which is also why I'm lukewarm on a 22 lb NS3 or P121 compared to the availability of some other reasonable possibilities that are even lighter by a noticeable amount. The question for me then is ultimately how low can I go and still really enjoy playing the gig and not feel like I'm hitting barriers, despite whatever shortcomings.

Easily solved by creating a Combi, then copy it to the next user bank and change the octave thus a simple switch from one Combi to the next but remember the Kross 2 does not have SST.

Yes, that's how I did it on the Microstation (which, yes, I have even used for LH bass). The problem is that you have to use that method to set up every RH sound you want to switch to, which is time consuming to set up, limiting in performance (you can't choose a non-prepp'd sound on the fly and have octave switching available), and uses up your patch select buttons quickly (i.e. you'd have to use up two of your Favorite buttons for bass+strings instead of one, if you want the strings available to you in two octaves). What I'd hope for on the Kross (and maybe there's a way to do this?) is to program its front panel Octave switch to affect one timbre of a combi but not another (which almost duplicates the Juno DS behavior), or for there to be a very quick way to get to the screen where you can shift the octave of the sound you picked for one side of the split. That kind of change would make it more viable for the role we're talking about, though you can still get bit by the lack of easy on-the-fly volume adjustments for your two parts as you say, or possibly the problem of cutting out a held bass note if you're switching from one RH sound to another, unless there's some workaround for that. or some operational mode where that won't happen.

I guess I'd say that, for me, the Kross probably won't address the LH bass scenario, but if you don't need LH bass, it is definitely a viable alternative to the MX49/AX-Edge in my OP... it's actually ties with the MX49 for lightest of the bunch, while providing 61 keys instead of 49. I'll update the OP accordingly.

A related question to the forum as I am trying to simplify my rig also. I want to run the Korg Module Pro and IK B-3X on my IPAD. Between these 2 apps I can get all the sounds I need.

I am looking for 2 controllers to run this set-up but ................ one of the controllers needs to have internal sounds I can use as a backup in the event my IPAD fails during a gig.

I would want 88 or 73 on the bottom and 61on the top. Want to keep the $$$$$$ reasonable also.

What does everyone suggest?

Will I be able to run both the sounds from the Korg Module at the same time as the B-3X sounds? How would I wire this?

Thanks, Mike

My Rig: Stage Piano: Korg Grandstage 73 - Organ: Hammond SKx - Amps: Motion Sound KP-500s - Mixer: Yamaha MGU10

A

Will I be able to run both the sounds from the Korg Module at the same time as the B-3X sounds? How would I wire this?

You might first try to confirm that Module Pro and B3X will run at the same time on your Ipad with enough reliability for a gig. Doesn't work on mine. One or the other will inevitably crash. I suspect it's the B3X that's the problem using so much CPU, but that's just my theory. It could be something about how I've set the whole thing up, so I wouldn't assume everyone will have the same problem (thought I've heard reports of others having the same problem).

Oops, I must have jumped to page 2 of this thread, I thought Mike had started it. FWIW, this post should still be relevant.

Just yesterday I was on the Pianoworld forum with a thread I addressed to Kawai James. I recently bought the Kawai ES110, and have been thrilled with the action, you really fly and can be expressive with this board, esp if you like lighter touch. I LOVE this board, but am really stymied and frustrated that they didn't include an aux in for iPad use. MAJOR SHORTCOMING for such an easy inclusion by Kawai! What a fantastic weighted controller board it would make!

Anyways, I looked at mostly SW but also GC (Casio exclusives) for boards under $700 that DID include the aux in. Altogether there are:

------ 31 boards, most of them under $300, that include an Aux in

------ 5 weighted action boards that include an aux in:

>> Casio CDP-S100 and S300, PX-S1000

>> Korg B2N

>> Kurzweil SP1 88

You up the budget to $1000 and I imagine you'd double this number of weighted boards with aux in.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Numa Compact 2x on the bottom

MODX7 on top

A lot of capability, and checks a lot of boxes for under 32lbs

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Mike, I hope you get a lot of input on this question!...I recently bought the Kawai ES110...I LOVE this board, but am really stymied and frustrated that they didn't include an aux in for iPad use. MAJOR SHORTCOMING for such an easy inclusion by Kawai! What a fantastic weighted controller board it would make!

Aux in (or better yet for iPad integration, the more rare audio in over MIDI) has two advantages I see:

1. If the board has internal speakers, you can hear the external sounds over those speakers.

2. If you are using a board with internal sounds, and you intend to actually use those sounds (less important if you'd only use them for emergency backup), it could obviate the need for a mixer (and if using the USB method, run fewer cables as well)

So I can see where this would be a nice addition to the ES110, though maybe not so much benefit if the board in question doesn't have speakers and/or you're not really using the board's own sounds.

The thing I'd most like in a board for iPad control would be front panel buttons that let me send MIDI program change and/or change the MIDI transmission channel, so I can freely select from among numerous iPad sounds directly from front panel buttons.

I want to run the Korg Module Pro and IK B-3X on my IPAD...

I am looking for 2 controllers to run this set-up but ................ one of the controllers needs to have internal sounds I can use as a backup ...

I would want 88 or 73 on the bottom and 61on the top. Want to keep the $$$$$$ reasonable also.

I don't know if you'd consider the price reasonable for this purpose, but I had the thought that if you used the Dexibell J7 with its moving drawbars as a B3X controller, you should be able to set up patches that recall a drawbar registration of your choice internally (which, even if you keep the Dexibell volume off, will still put the drawbars at the right places) while also sending a Program Change command to B3X for a program you could define to have the same drawbar registration. If it all works the way I think it would, you could then call up whatever organ preset you wanted from the Dexibell's front panel and immediately have the B3X provide the desired sound AND have the drawbars in the right place for the sound for any further real time tweaking you might want to do. (The Vox Continental might be able to work similarly with its LED drawbar equivalents, though it lacks the dedicated additional C/V and percussion controls.)

Does your bottom board need to have hammer action? Do you care whether it is your top or bottom board that has pitch/modulation controls (assuming it's important for you to have them at all)? Do you want buttons on one/both of the boards that you can program to call up particular sounds from your iPad?

My lightest 2 board rig:

K&M 18880/18881 stand

The iPhone and all needed cabling fit into the Keys Pro case. The iPad and all needed cabling/power fit into the 61 key gig bag. I haven't really setup the 2 board rig so far, but have used each half of it for some outdoor playing.

Absolute minimal rig: iPad 5 (for larger screen), use iFretless Bass and play the virtual strings on the touch screen. Cable to amplifier.

I'm fine with my normal Stage 3/Kronos for my regular gigs. But I have considered something like above for a very light weight rig for pop-up street things:

- iPad Mini 5

- Casio CT-S300 (7 lbs, has a non-weighted action that is unusually playable for piano sounds and also internal sounds if there are technical problems with iPad)

- iRig iKeys 49 I/O (5 lbs - has audio interface for ipad and has mic input with phantom power)

- USB hub to merge midi input to iPad

- Aspen Pittman Spacestation

- A few cables

Stand would be TBD. I tried it in my office and it all seemed to work fine with some audio routing provided via AUM app (to avoid a hardware mixer for mic). Pretty sure I could carry that in one-trip from car with the right bags.

Sam

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

My standard rig is relatively lightweight, even when I lug the whole thing. Granted, I almost never have to bring speakers or an amp...

- Nord Electro 5D73

- Novation Launchkey 61

- MacBook Pro 15" + Ultimate Support Hyperstation QR + Radial Key Largo (all in a backpack with the requisite cables)

- single tier X stand that has stood the test of time (shhhh...) or Ultimate Support AX48 Pro if I need both keys/both tiers.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

My lightest 2 board rig:

K&M 18880/18881 stand

I have considered something like above for a very light weight rig for pop-up street things:

- iPad Mini 5

- Casio CT-S300 (7 lbs, has a non-weighted action that is unusually playable for piano sounds and also internal sounds if there are technical problems with iPad)

- iRig iKeys 49 I/O (5 lbs - has audio interface for ipad and has mic input with phantom power)

- USB hub to merge midi input to iPad

- Aspen Pittman Spacestation

- A few cables

Those board pairs may win the award for lightness... but those amps? An EV ZXa1 would knock off at least a dozen pounds of schlepage.

Those board pairs may win the award for lightness... but those amps? An EV ZXa1 would knock off at least a dozen pounds of schlepage.

True...19 lbs vs. 33 lbs would be nice. Was just working with what I already had. The spacestation does give 'stereo' so that"s a tradeoff (and why I didn"t put one my QSC 10.2"s in there.)

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman