Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Taking Requests:2020 clonewheel shootout, covid edition

I'm going to do an audio (or possibly video) comparison of a bunch of hardware clones I currently have access to. Instead of focusing on the sounds I use, I wanted to also let people hear what else they may care about. So for example, let me know if you'd like to hear "880000088 with C3 chorus, holding a high C major with the rotary speed from slow to fast and back to slow" or "888000000 with third short normal percussion playing a staccato scale in the lower register" or whatever, and I'll try to oblige.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love a comparison of John Medeski's
sound
I"d never heard JM, interesting sounds, sometimes sounding like it may involve some external processing. But I can't take the time to figure how best to duplicate a given sound, so I really have to ask people to provide the drawbar settings and such that they want, though I can then attempt to demo them with the style of a particular song as long as it's not too far out of my wheelhouse.

also the single 8' drawbar, switching C3 in and out and ramping Leslie speeds.

Sure. What do you to hear the Leslie ramping on? i.e. single note or chord? in what range of the keyboard?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I would love a comparison of John Medeski's
sound
I"d never heard JM, interesting sounds, sometimes sounding like it may involve some external processing. But I can't take the time to figure how best to duplicate a given sound, so I really have to ask people to provide the drawbar settings and such that they want, though I can then attempt to demo them with the style of a particular song as long as it's not too far out of my wheelhouse.

Sounds to me like it's 800 006 ?66 ? Not sure what the chorus setting might be (maybe C2)?

also the single 8' drawbar, switching C3 in and out and ramping Leslie speeds.

Sure. What do you to hear the Leslie ramping on? i.e. single note or chord? in what range of the keyboard?

Single upper-mid note, a la Benmont, if you please!

Thanks Scott.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

Please, no more of the 888/perc/C3 registration. Seems to be that's all we ever hear from these clone demos, and they're all capable of doing that very well.

My pet peeve with the clones - and the Ventilator - is the outputs. L&R outputs on a Hammond clone just sounds wrong to my ears. There ought to be a menu option to configure the outputs as low/high...

with the crossover set like a Leslie.

When I play with an SK1 live in stereo, L/R is fine. But, recording with L/R just sounds totally fake.

JMHO....

& thanks.

Please, no more of the 888/perc/C3 registration. Seems to be that's all we ever hear from these clone demos, and they're all capable of doing that very well.

My pet peeve with the clones - and the Ventilator - is the outputs. L&R outputs on a Hammond clone just sounds wrong to my ears. There ought to be a menu option to configure the outputs as low/high...

with the crossover set like a Leslie.

When I play with an SK1 live in stereo, L/R is fine. But, recording with L/R just sounds totally fake.

JMHO....

& thanks.

Korg CX3 engine isn't generally considered to be among the best, but at least you can adjust mic distance and stereo spread.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

If there's an overdrive in the option, I would like to hear the distortion profile for chords played with registrations 888 (high octave) and 88 836 6666 (an octave down from the high one).

If you include a Kurzweil, don't forget to test it with BillW's leslie settings -- they make a huge difference in believeability, at least for me.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Korg CX3 engine isn't generally considered to be among the best, but at least you can adjust mic distance and stereo spread.

True enough, but for me at least, stereo spread while trying to record with a clone is exactly what I don't want.

I usually record with my A100, and when I mic the Leslie I use 2 mics - hi & low - and my preference is to place highs R & lows L, so the organ travels across the stereo field. To my ears that sounds much better than the effect you get with the signal bouncing back & forth between L&R. Sounds way more organic - no pun intended - to me that way. If a client wants that stereo 2 mics on the treble horn vibe, I just make a dupe of the high track, delay it a few ms, pan them L&R, and place the lows in the center. Works for me.

At any rate, I wish I could get the same hi/lo effect with a clone...

Actually, the Crumar Mojo does have the output option... the Mojo & MojoXT does, but not the new Mojo Classic.

To my point though, you can take it down to mono. Spread goes from mono to extreme stereo and everything in between as well as close vs distant. Where you you want the mic(s)?

That said, the V/C kind of sucks and the Leslie sim sucks even more. Add a Vent and it makes a huge impact, of course, but then you remove your stereo/mono mic placement. Catch 22

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Jon Tucker(Tucktronix) gigs with a Vent and a version 2 CX3 and really didn't sound bad through front of house when he opened for TOP in 2010. I have an XK5 and it really sounds great. I haven't dived into it really yet as I have a new house but I will soon.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Jon Tucker(Tucktronix) gigs with a Vent and a version 2 CX3 and really didn't sound bad through front of house when he opened for TOP in 2010. I have an XK5 and it really sounds great. I haven't dived into it really yet as I have a new house but I will soon.

When did you buy the XK5? I'd love to have one.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

If you're recording using L/R, and you don't want mono, I think the way to keep it from getting too fake might be to pan the left and right so that they are not far from each other. Think of looking at a band playing in stage with a Leslie, and about where your ears are (as an audience member) relative to the two microphones you're probably seeing on the Leslie.

If you include a Kurzweil, don't forget to test it with BillW's leslie settings -- they make a huge difference in believeability, at least for me.

I don't know if I'll do it this time, but I would like to give the Kurz a better shot than the one factory preset I used last time (where it was a tossed on afterthought because it just happened to be there). Do you have a link to those Leslie settings? Alternatively, I was thinking I'd try Delaware Dave's settings from https://www.keyboardforums.com/threads/kurzweil-forte-factory-b3-organ-sounds.31069/

I play a good bit with 88833000 and will sometimes add the 1' drawbar at some point in a song, usually pulling it to 5 or 5. Another registration I use a lot is 846450000, and I'll move the 2 2/3' drawbar in/out one or two "notches" to taste for the particular song I'm playing. Both are played with leslie alternating between slow and fast.

Lou