Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Words that are 'Broken' in Keyboard Land [mint]

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more that turn this "old man" into a grump are:

"Epic", used to describe something that's slightly better than average,

and "ultimate", e.g. the ultimate guide to ... whatever.

Replace ultimate with basic and you're probably there!

Q. If this is the ultimate guide, what is the next guide that goes one, or several steps further?

old man>

Oh! And whilst I think of it;

"Almost, or nearly, unique. (No explanation necessary.)

Sorry about that. ;-)

Akai EWI 4000s, Yamaha VL70m, Yamaha AN1x, Casio PX560, Yamaha MU1000XG+PLGs-DX,AN,VL.

Good post, John. You are right, " genius " is a noun that has been trampled

I am seeing it (mis)used as an adjective all the time these days.

"check out these genius tips for keeping your laundry smelling fresh!!!" and the like

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

"check out these genius tips for keeping your laundry smelling fresh!!!" and the like

Funny.

Hyperbole, from a Greek word meaning "excess," is a figure of speech that uses extreme exaggeration to make

a point or show emphasis. It is the opposite of understatement.

You can find examples of hyperbole in literature and everyday speech. You wouldn't want to use it in nonfiction works, like reports

or research papers, but it's perfect for creative writing and communication, especially when you want to add color to a character or humor to a story.

Hyperboles are not comparisons, like similes and metaphors, but extravagant and even ridiculous overstatements, not meant to be

taken literally.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

While we're at the grumpy old man point of the arc, I'll throw in the use of conjunctions in the wrong places.

"So I have to sell my...."

"So I just bought a..."

Then there's this one that drives me NUTS.

Interviewees (increasingly) who employ patronizing-speak as if they were repeating a well-rehearsed reply from Communications 101:

"Sure. So, the sky is blue because..."

In other words, "(Sure) I know you are stupid and everybody asks this question. (So) Here's the stock answer in story form that even a child could understand."

So, get off my Astroturf.

Here for the gear.

When they say something "hasn't been tested" and sold "as-is", you know damn well they tried to get it working and it didn't work. Who in their right mind, wanting to get as much as they can for something, isn't going to bother checking to see if it works?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

When they say something "hasn't been tested" and sold "as-is", you know damn well they tried to get it working and it didn't work. Who in their right mind, wanting to get as much as they can for something, isn't going to bother checking to see if it works?

+10 on the truth scale. [ IOW, cut thru all the BS ]

[70's Songwriter]

While we're at the grumpy old man point of the arc, I'll throw in the use of conjunctions in the wrong places.

"So I just bought a..."

Uh-oh. I use that from time to time on this forum, as a joking implication that it's part of an already-in-progress narrative. Sort of an homage to the recently departed Professor Irwin Corey, who upon being introduced would start his routine with "However, ...."

And there you have it.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Or, total pisser on Facebook: "Only GENIUS will solve!" for a problem that requires third-grade math or basic reading skills.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Back on topic (I think :laugh: )...

"New in the box, never been opened" = Red Flag.

A winner for 'l BS ' advertising.

Its ludicrous for someone to buy a $2000 keyboard. let it sit around

boxed up, for 6 months, then decide to sell it.

[70's Songwriter]

Back on topic (I think :laugh: )...

"New in the box, never been opened" = Red Flag.

A winner for 'l BS ' advertising.

Its ludicrous for someone to buy a $2000 keyboard. let it sit around

boxed up, for 6 months, then decide to sell it.

Depends on where it came from. Sometimes, music stores can get stuck with excess stock that can't be returned especially if the product has been replaced by a newer model, and they'll blow them out really cheap. People take advantage of the blowout sale hoping to be able to turn it around for a profit once they are no longer available.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Watts.

...as in my 8" powered monitors, "280 watt" output power, and consumes 150 watts. If I could take a 60 Hz signal, I should be able to tap the output and power two speakers; capture that and power 4 speakers, etc.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

I used to write the catalog for an auction house, and we had very specific guidelines about words like "vintage," "excellent," and other descriptors we could use, because so many of them gave people certain ideas about it due to Amazon and eBay that may or may not be true...

I got a free Mackie console from that very same auction house. The owner was arrested for grand larceny not too long ago. Just some fun things I've learned!

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

"So I just bought a..."

That rule's like the centre red line in hockey: gone, only missed by the sort of purists who think allowing the forward pass between bluelines was an abomination, that ending a sentence with a preposition is the sort of verbal vandalism up with which they shall not put. So sez another grumpy old person :stooges:

Then there's this one that drives me NUTS.

Interviewees (increasingly) who employ patronizing-speak as if they were repeating a well-rehearsed reply from Communications 101:

"Sure. So, the sky is blue because..."

In other words, "(Sure) I know you are stupid and everybody asks this question. (So) Here's the stock answer in story form that even a child could understand."

An unsuccessful attempt at explaining something colloquially by someone more comfortable in academic discourse is off-putting because it's transparently artificial. The condescension is in tone and content, in posture and facial expression, not the pause words that most public speakers use as placeholders while they gather their thoughts. The athlete or politician or systems engineer who speaks in sentence fragments and sometimes starts them with coordinating conjunctions may lose style points for such technical transgressions, but if they keep it specific and to the point--and if they can fake sincerity successfully :waitwhat:--the only people who will take offense are us grammarian grumps who forgot our Metamucil last night.

“For 50 years, it was like being chained to a lunatic.”

-- Kingsley Amis on the eventual loss of his libido

The âSure. So, ...' thing doesn"t bother me at all, because it says 'Ah, yes, your question was one I anticipated, and I put some thought into the matter â here"s what I"ve come up with:'

I mean, you"re probably asking to hear what the person has to say, so it"s fine for them to respond that they have something to say.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

Have we had "easy fix" yet?

"The battery is dead but it's an easy fix."

Until you try it...

Right, if it's such an easy fix, why doesn't the seller just go ahead ad do it so that they don't have to list it as a problem?

Dan

I see a lot of Craiglist ads describing gear as "Rare"

(A) It's probably not rare at all

(B) Even if it is, it doesn't mean it's valuable or desirable--it might be rare because no one bought any or because they all broke!

© If it actually is rare and valuable, why are you selling it on Craigslist with some bad pictures and barely any description?

Have we had "easy fix" yet?

"The battery is dead but it's an easy fix."

Until you try it...

Right, if it's such an easy fix, why doesn't the seller just go ahead ad do it so that they don't have to list it as a problem?

Exactly!!! For a while, I had one of the Ensoniq 76 key synths with piano action that came out in the early 90's. After I sold the amp and music stand that came with it, I had $10 in it. It was huge, heavy and needed a new battery.

I googled replacing the battery and found an article on a similar board that started with - "First, remove umpty bajillion screws, they are not all the same so keep track of them" and proceeded to elaborate on cleaning up corrosion and how sometimes the old battery explodes when you try to unsolder it.

Since it stil worked fine and you could use all the programs it came with, I traded it straight across for an Akai MPK 25. I play keys like old people f#ck, just wanted something small and light around for pads and strikes.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I see a lot of Craiglist ads describing gear as "Rare"

(A) It's probably not rare at all

(B) Even if it is, it doesn't mean it's valuable or desirable--it might be rare because no one bought any or because they all broke!

© If it actually is rare and valuable, why are you selling it on Craigslist with some bad pictures and barely any description?

As long as we are doing "rare" (and we should!), let's do "Collectable" too.

People collect string, butterflies, buttons and probably all sorts of nasty stuff. EVERYTHING is collectable if you are weird enough to collect it. Stempy had a booger collection...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Polyphony -- "Digital Piano featuring 256-note polyphony" ... but only 88 keys? This has probably been said before, but the polyphony spec obviously means nothing unless you also convey how polyphony is used by the synth/playback engine. Did I just say "engine"? I guess that is a misused word as well, as if there's some kind of mechanical device inside these completely electronic instruments. It's a nice word, though. ;)

Polyphony -- "Digital Piano featuring 256-note polyphony" ... but only 88 keys? This has probably been said before, but the polyphony spec obviously means nothing unless you also convey how polyphony is used by the synth/playback engine. Did I just say "engine"? I guess that is a misused word as well, as if there's some kind of mechanical device inside these completely electronic instruments. It's a nice word, though. ;)

So you don't use the sustain pedal?

Dan