Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Your Latest Purchase (music related)

Is that the gray one or the blue one that looks gray?

The latter. Dark matte gray.

So you will need a florescent pink and green jumpsuit to set off the gray!!!! :laugh: Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

So you will need a florescent pink and green jumpsuit to set off the gray!!!! :laugh: Cheers, Kuru

What makes you think I don't already have one? I did live through the 80's... :idea::poke:

dB

You have the mirror wraparound shades and the blue Fro-hawk to go with? :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...

I put my Nord Stage dream on hold with the gig stoppage (and work uncertainty)...but figured I needed to kick-start my guitar playing and what better way to get inspired than to get a new guitar :)

I have a decent electric, my acoustic is a cheapie and doesn't have great action--and I figure it's not worth spending a lot on it, so acoustic became the target. I wanted to get an all-solid-wood guitar as a step up, and didn't need electronics. I posted on acousticguitarforums asking for recommendations, with my two prime targets being a Guild import (new on sale) and a Yamaha A3M used. Both would have been near 600 bucks. A bunch of people kept mentioning Eastman guitars--I knew they had a great rep, but the cheapest used on in the models I knew of was over 700. What I didn't know is that they recently started making several all-solid models that brand new could be had for less than 500!

Long story short, I pulled the trigger on an Eastman E1D. Pitbull Music had it brand new for 459, and they gave me a deal for 413. It comes with a 1-inch-thick super nice padded bag (really a case). I just got the guitar today, and it's crazy nice. Just feels really alive, VERY resonant and the action is nice and low. Way nicer than my old Yamaha and considering I had to buy a case with that, the price really isn't much different. A lot of people saying this is one of the best deals you can get on an all-solid acoustic and I believe it. Just feels like a much more expensive instrument. Ebony bridge and fingerboard, the pearl-looking inlays and logo, and the edging is perfect and rounded. It has a bit of a wider nut and/or string spacing which I like as I have big hands. Whatever they used for finish allows the pores of the wood on back and sides to be felt, not gloss at all and feels almost satin. My old Yamaha is heavier yet doesn't ring like this one does. This one should improve also as it "opens up" (or so I've read about all-solids).

Here's a better player than me testing one out.

[video:youtube]

So, all I wanted to do was to sell a Poly Evolver Keyboard. I swear... ð³

I get ready to put it up on Reverb.com, then I remember that Stan Cotey has expressed interest in owning a Poly Evolver. Then, I realize that brother Stan has some seriously awesome guitars and I find myself wondering if there isn"t some sort of trade in there... ð¤

So now I own this beautiful 1961 SG reissue. Creamiest pickups ever, maybe. ð¤

CFXN9ep.jpg

That's four... :duck:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

dB

Four is a pretty good start at least.

If you keep at it, eventually you'll own a normal number of guitars.

Could take a while at the current pace...

Do basses and acoustics count? :idea:

If so, I have 11 total (four electric, four basses, three acoustics). That's better, yes? :idk::D

dB

Do basses and acoustics count? :idea:

If so, I have 11 total (four electric, four basses, three acoustics). That's better, yes? :idk::D

dB

Much better!!!! You even have more basses than I do - right now anyway. I'm down to 2 but I keep looking at the solid body U-bass and thinking you could just saw the body off and screw it onto the upper horn of a Strat - BAM! - lightweight doubleneck bass/guitar that isn't so huge. I'm a bit ahead of you on electric guitars, I'd have to count them. Plus projects, I have lots of projects.

What you need now is an Epiphone Goth Explorer with a Floyd Rose whammy bar installed, a beat up one with umpty bajillion strap button holes since the previous owner couldn't figure out that Explorers don't "balance" - YOU balance them.

Yeah, just what you need!!! ... yikes...

Oh well, somebody will buy it once I get the bridge pickup working...

A few of the big retailers got some more Roland A-88 MK2 Controllers in stock the past few days.

Mine will be here Monday! :w00t:

I got one a couple of weeks ago and tested it alongside my Studiologic SL88 Studio & an M-Audio Hammer 88. The A-88mkii was the clear winner of the three despite its odd form factor.

We should start an A-88mkii thread around here . . .

I am a new member of the Kawai ES110 club!!!

Am gobsmacked that they put this good of a keybed in a $700 board, which is the reason I bought it. It brings me back to my best piano experiences, I feel very expressed with this keyboard. As Jazz+ said, it's effortless and non-fatiguing!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

So, all I wanted to do was to sell a Poly Evolver Keyboard. I swear... ð³

I get ready to put it up on Reverb.com, then I remember that Stan Cotey has expressed interest in owning a Poly Evolver. Then, I realize that brother Stan has some seriously awesome guitars and I find myself wondering if there isn"t some sort of trade in there... ð¤

So now I own this beautiful 1961 SG reissue. Creamiest pickups ever, maybe. ð¤

CFXN9ep.jpg

dB

My oh my! Pretty guitar AND living room!

Am gobsmacked that they put this good of a keybed in a $700 board, which is the reason I bought it. It brings me back to my best piano experiences, I feel very expressed with this keyboard. As Jazz+ said, it's effortless and non-fatiguing!

This will likely be my next purchase. Wish I could try it out but I've heard enough testimonials :) I tend to prefer lighter actions. I am considering buying my buddy's Moxf8 as a sometime-gigging, fulltime home controller--if you have tried the Moxf8 or Modx8, how would you compare the keybed against the ES110? My memories of the yamaha ghs action are telling me it was "ok", not great.

Wow- a grand, a real console organ, hydrasynth, kronos, forte, lots of guitars, a beautiful and spacious living room to play in and a wife that obviously supports your music- many blessings indeed!

PS Thanks for the Formerly Known As....

This will likely be my next purchase. Wish I could try it out but I've heard enough testimonials :) I tend to prefer lighter actions. I am considering buying my buddy's Moxf8 as a sometime-gigging, fulltime home controller--if you have tried the Moxf8 or Modx8, how would you compare the keybed against the ES110? My memories of the yamaha ghs action are telling me it was "ok", not great.

Sorry, no experience with them.

For $700 (actually with tax it was more like $575), it's an amazing piano.

I'm willing to deal with its many limitations at this price point, like no screen, very low voice count, no USB port, etc., because of the keybed and quality of the few sounds it has.

But was having second thoughts last night when I hooked up the iPad to it. Such an outstanding board, but they didn't put an audio in plug for iPad use or whatever you choose. What a bleeding, unnecessary hassle, you end up needing a mixer or separate forms of amplification as a result. Such a small thing for them to add, such a big deal for the end user.

My oh my! Pretty guitar AND living room!

Thanks! That's my wife's half of the living room you're looking at.

This is my half:

Sc3qxKV.jpg

dB

Dave, does your lovely bride have a sister? Oh wait, then I"d have only have half the living room...

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

hah! In a similar vein, I bought a 10-pack of those 1/8 to 1/4" headphone adapters. A week later I see three of them in the box I designated to hold them. Seems like no matter how many you buy, you won't find one when you need one, and later when you are busy with something else you'll run across them everywhere.

Dave, does your lovely bride have a sister? Oh wait, then I"d have only have half the living room...

Yep...but she lives in the Pacific Northwest.

Latest addition to the fold - an AEA R92 with a custom finish.

Awesome microphone! A studio that I freelance at has a pair of those, plus an 84 and a 44. I've used the 92's a drum room mics, they have a wonderful presence. I used the 44 on a trumpet on a jazz recording, and it was instant Blue Note. Love those mics!

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Hard not to love the R92. Not as many folks understand that it's basically a smaller, tighter R84. I dig the fact that those two are voiced so that each side sounds a little different.

Notice how in my pic I have the back (the side without the black design) pointed at the Leslie - I like the way that side sounds better.

dB

Time to upgrade the small Yamaha M06 mixer in the big rig.

SSL-SiX_overhead.jpg

BTW it may seem like I'm buying an unusual amount of new toys recently...but I'm getting ready to redo/streamline the studio, so I've been selling a whole bunch of my hardware signal processors. I've sold a decent amount more gear than I've bought so far this year...

dB

Just arrived this afternoon. Wow! I still have some learning and tweaking to do, but right out of the box it replaces the Hammond XK-3c and Vent I"ve been using in my live rig.

01.jpg

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A