Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

cool new effects

Not a new pedal, but weren't some of you talking about the DOD Rubberneck Dealy at some point over the past few years? Proaduiostar is blowing them out for $119... which is cheaper than I see them used.

https://www.proaudiostar.com/dod-rubberneck-analog-delay-with-tap-tempo.html

Hmmm... Shipping and taxes? (I see that standard shipping's free) You've got my interest...

EDIT: I impulsively almost pulled the trigger on one there just now- almost- but decided to hold off. :crazy:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• 2 weeks later...
One of these days, I might have to get a compressor. Not sure if I"d want to spend Strymon money on one, though.

Single-coils? Search-up a good deal on a used (I'd surmise that they all are at this point, having been out of production for a while- but don't let that put you off) HomeBrew Electronics ComPressor Retro, aka the HBE CPR; MAGIC with a Tele, and damn fine with other single-coil pickup equipped axes. Based on the classic Ross and Dyna Comp OTA (Operational Transconductance Amplifier) type squeeze-stomps, but upgraded, improved, higher quality and lower noise. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!! Great bargains on these are out there. I own two and neither will be up for sale.

Humbuckers? Look for compressor-pedals that are optical-circuit designs that include a "dry/clean-blend" control...

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CP-1X--boss-cp-1x-compressor-pedal?

Check out the video on the SW site by a studio musician for the Boss CP 1x Compressor. He has used some very sophisticated studio compressors in his time and is very impressed with the Boss pedal. They go for 1/2 the price of a Strymon Compressor. They sound great on both electric and acoustic guitars. I have one that I use for a clean boost for lead work. It works great. It is a smart pedal that can correct mistakes made by the user when setting their knobs. Which works for me LOL! But, I do know where my sweet spot is. I'm not that much of a compression guy but this is the only pedal I'm using these days...it's worth checking out if you are ever near a GC one of these days. :cool:

Take care, Larryz

• 4 weeks later...

The Fender MTG Tube Tremolo Pedal that was announced at Winter NAMM has finally hit the shelves and also now has a good audio/video demo:

https://sonicstate.com/news/2020/05/22/fender-releases-mtg-tube-tremolo-pedal/

There was only a partial demo before, with NAMM noise and a bad player with too many other effects going on at the same time.

I don't like what I've heard of the other pedals in this series, but this one is analog (most of them are digital) and sounds like the real deal to me.

I already have the original version of the Jack Rabbit pedal from Suhr (no tube aboard), and the Fender Deluxe Reverb 1965 reissue.

Not sure I'd need this pedal, but maybe it would work well with the VOX AC15 Hand-Wired amp, or even the Fender Champ (most recent reissue).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

New pedal for me: Mad Professor Kosmos reverb pedal.

Aside from an old multi-effect pedal, I've never had a reverb pedal. Usually I'm content with the spring reverb in 2 of my amps (Genz Benz Black Pearl, and Roland Super Cube). No reverb in my Vox AC5 and Egnater Tweaker, but either I try not to miss it or set my BYOC Echo/Ping Pong to a sort of slapback setting. But I've never had a more ambient reverb pedal. So of course I get a coupon code from Prymaxe, and got a good deal on this one.

It has 11 types of reverbs: plate, spring, hall, room, 3 room models with differing "shimmer" features, room with slapback, room with what they call a multihead delay, and 2 swell/reverse modes. I compared it (online) with the EH Oceans 11 and Canyons pedals, along with a few others. The EH ones had some issues with lag and trails cutting off; the Kosmos didn't seem to have any of those. Plus, this has a kind of "sample & hold" function so you can play a lick, hold down the on/off switch on your last note, then let that ring while you play something else. Pretty cool, and relatively easy to get used to using.

When you first turn it on, you can hold the on/off switch to choose either fully wet or a combination wet & dry signal path. That's pretty cool, but in a live situation could be a bit confusing if you're trying to switch between those two options mid-set. The reverse/swell modes also use the length you hold down the pedal to generate the swells. Being used to using a volume pedal to do that, it's pretty easy to adjust.

It doesn't work as cleanly as I'd hoped with a lot of dirt in front of it. Can get muddy and the reflections become overbearing. Of course, I only used it in front of the amp, and realize it really should live in the loop. I'll give that a go next time, when I have a little more time & space to set up the whole rig instead of a quick 2-pedal run-through. But overall, I think it's a keeper.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

@Danzilla - That seems like a very cool toy. The 'sample-&-hold' sounds a lot like the "Infinite Reverb" effect?

I've been tempted by the Walrus Audio Slo and the Old Blood Noise Dark Star, just wish I could A/B them somewhere . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

Aside from an old multi-effect pedal, I've never had a reverb pedal. Usually I'm content with the spring reverb in 2 of my amps (Genz Benz Black Pearl, and Roland Super Cube). No reverb in my Vox AC5 and Egnater Tweaker, but either I try not to miss it or set my BYOC Echo/Ping Pong to a sort of slapback setting. But I've never had a more ambient reverb pedal. So of course I get a coupon code from Prymaxe, and got a good deal on this one.

It has 11 types of reverbs: plate, spring, hall, room, 3 room models with differing "shimmer" features, room with slapback, room with what they call a multihead delay, and 2 swell/reverse modes. I compared it (online) with the EH Oceans 11 and Canyons pedals, along with a few others. The EH ones had some issues with lag and trails cutting off; the Kosmos didn't seem to have any of those. Plus, this has a kind of "sample & hold" function so you can play a lick, hold down the on/off switch on your last note, then let that ring while you play something else. Pretty cool, and relatively easy to get used to using.

When you first turn it on, you can hold the on/off switch to choose either fully wet or a combination wet & dry signal path. That's pretty cool, but in a live situation could be a bit confusing if you're trying to switch between those two options mid-set. The reverse/swell modes also use the length you hold down the pedal to generate the swells. Being used to using a volume pedal to do that, it's pretty easy to adjust.

It doesn't work as cleanly as I'd hoped with a lot of dirt in front of it. Can get muddy and the reflections become overbearing. Of course, I only used it in front of the amp, and realize it really should live in the loop. I'll give that a go next time, when I have a little more time & space to set up the whole rig instead of a quick 2-pedal run-through. But overall, I think it's a keeper.

@Danzilla - That seems like a very cool toy. The 'sample-&-hold' sounds a lot like the "Infinite Reverb" effect?

I've been tempted by the Walrus Audio Slo and the Old Blood Noise Dark Star, just wish I could A/B them somewhere . . .

Cool. I've found that Walrus Slö rather enticing, and this new Mad Professor Kosmos sounds interesting, as well. I'm not very familiar with the Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star, and haven't tried or heard any of these three live and in person.

Tell me, do any of these offer adjustable pre-delay of the onset of the reverb? I often found that to be a key to getting reverb that's just-right for a given musical setting... I love the " '80s Rack/Hall" and " '70s Studio Plate" Reverbs of my Strymon Flint- and the the biggest reason that I bought and use it is for its Tremolo, and Reverb-into-Tremolo capabilities- but I do sometimes wish it offered adjustable pre-delay...

Cool. I've found that Walrus Slö rather enticing, and this new Mad Professor Kosmos sounds interesting, as well. I'm not very familiar with the Old Blood Noise Endeavors Dark Star, and haven't tried or heard any of these three live and in person.

Tell me, do any of these offer adjustable pre-delay of the onset of the reverb? I often found that to be a key to getting reverb that's just-right for a given musical setting... I love the " '80s Rack/Hall" and " '70s Studio Plate" Reverbs of my Strymon Flint- and the the biggest reason that I bought and use it is for its Tremolo, and Reverb-into-Tremolo capabilities- but I do sometimes wish it offered adjustable pre-delay...

Add a delay pedal in front of it? Just a thought...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Add a delay pedal in front of it? Just a thought...

Yes and no . . . Pre-Delay within a Reverb patch adds a short Delay before the onset of the Reverb effect. This allows some separation between the original input signal and the wash of reverb, so your original signal maintains more of its integrity. Just putting a Delay pedal before the Reverb pedal wouldn't have the same result, you'd get the usual Delay-into-Reverb signal chain.

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

Looks like a lot of fun- and a rabbit hole that I'd slip down and get lost in for a while; I might eventually get that or some similar enough mixing device for pedals, but not right away... !

There goes more of my lottery winnings.

...assuming I ever win the lottery, of course.

With you and that in mind (and it really is three pedals in one)...

Chase Bliss Preamp MkII Automatone

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

It's a cheap pedal, but I am really liking my Donner Water Echo... good sounds from a compact pedal, useful for bass and guitar, and mine cost me $5. :D

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

It's neither a new effect nor even a pedal, but I really wish this had been out a year ago - Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 3

They also make a 3+ with 12 Outputs. If you're running a bunch of high current draw Digital pedals, this is your new friend.

It's neither a new effect nor even a pedal, but I really wish this had been out a year ago - Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 3

They also make a 3+ with 12 Outputs. If you're running a bunch of high current draw Digital pedals, this is your new friend.

I'm going to my local music store next week and if he can order me one I will get it. He carries Voodoo labs so should be able to get it. Also I'm going to get a tuner pedal. I normally wouldn't spend that much right now but I want to support local businesses as they reopen and I haven't spent my $1200 yet.

Jenny S.

I'm going to my local music store next week and if he can order me one I will get it. He carries Voodoo labs so should be able to get it. Also I'm going to get a tuner pedal. I normally wouldn't spend that much right now but I want to support local businesses as they reopen and I haven't spent my $1200 yet.

@Surfergirl - From what I recall of your current pedal array, you would do just fine with the Pedal Power 2+, which is around $30 less expensive than the PP3, and $70 less than the PP3+. Remind me, please, what you're using, so I'm not misleading you, but you probably don't need a line of 500 mA Outs for your rig. BTW, depending on what kind of pedalboard you have, you might need to order some mounting brackets, as well. They're around $15 for a set that will mount under a Pedaltrain.

The PP2+ has six 100 mA Outs that will more than do for most pedals, and two Outs (#'s 5 & 6) rated at 250 mAmps, which will power most 9 volt Digital Delays, even the big Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler. I'm trying to assemble a pedalboard of mostly Delays, all of which draw 200 mAmps or more, and the PP2+ won't quite do it for me in that rig, although I use 2 PP2+'s to power my main pedalboard, and they've been very dependable.

I stick with the Voodoo Lab power bricks because all of their outputs are isolated, which makes for quieter output overall, and more protection for your pedals. Some power bricks let the different outputs "steal" from one another, up to the total output of the brick itself: they're like having a more bulky and expensive version of a daisy-chain connector, that's all.

@Winston, he has the pp2 in stock but I may stay with my 1spot for now. If I do that I'll use that money for a phaser or chorus pedal, an Ernie Ball volume pedal and a D'Addadario mini tuner pedal.

Right now I'm using a Keeley compressor, EHX Satisfaction fuzz, Fulltone 2b, Joyo Acetone, JHS tidewater Tremolo and a MXR Carbon Copy Delay.

Jenny S.

I highly recommend the Boss TU-10 clip on tuner. It does use a battery but it slowly gets dimmer when the battery gets low so you have plenty of warning and the batteries last a long time.

I like it because it is very accurate, easy to use and it automatically adjusts the tuning screen. In a darker scene like a club it lights up and you can see it easily. In bright sunlight it turns to a gray background with black markings and you can see it easily. We've played a lot of outdoor, daytime gigs in summer and that's the only tuner I've used that I can see easily when it's bright outside. Worth it's weight in gold for that alone. Plus, being a Boss unit, it is very sturdy and durable.

In the last 4 or 5 years I've had Snarks die or disappear, a couple of really cheap tuners just stop working and one Boss TU-10 that still works like new. I found a Roland factory refurbished on on eBay for $15 delivered, now I have 2.

As for effects, I just got an Eventide plugin for my home recording studio and it is based on the Eventide Pitchfactor pedal. 2 detuners with mix controls, 2 delays (stereo) a separate modulation setup and a way to blend from one sound to the other. I am not sure how many of those features are in the Pitchfactor but i WANT ONE!!!!!!

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

@surfergirl - the PP3 and the PP3+ would both be overkill for your pedal chain. You can probably get along very nicely with just a One Spot and a daisy-chain for those. I can't find Current Draw specs for the Fulltone 2B, but none of your other pedals even draw down 100 mA, so the PP2+ is more than enough power for now.

@Dannyalcatraz - I know that Truetone keeps saying that their power bricks are isolated, but if you read carefully in the instructions, they mention the possibility of different Outs sharing the total output, with an emphasis n not overloading the total output (in milliAmps) of the device itself. An isolated 100 mA Output shouldn't be able to "borrow" a few mA from other Outs to drive a 150 mA pedal, even if all the other Outputs are powering 5 mA OD's. I've avoided the TrueTones for that reason . . .

@Surfergirl - From what I recall of your current pedal array, you would do just fine with the Pedal Power 2+, which is around $30 less expensive than the PP3, and $70 less than the PP3+. Remind me, please, what you're using, so I'm not misleading you, but you probably don't need a line of 500 mA Outs for your rig. BTW, depending on what kind of pedalboard you have, you might need to order some mounting brackets, as well. They're around $15 for a set that will mount under a Pedaltrain.

The PP2+ has six 100 mA Outs that will more than do for most pedals, and two Outs (#'s 5 & 6) rated at 250 mAmps, which will power most 9 volt Digital Delays, even the big Line 6 DL4 Delay Modeler. I'm trying to assemble a pedalboard of mostly Delays, all of which draw 200 mAmps or more, and the PP2+ won't quite do it for me in that rig, although I use 2 PP2+'s to power my main pedalboard, and they've been very dependable.

I stick with the Voodoo Lab power bricks because all of their outputs are isolated, which makes for quieter output overall, and more protection for your pedals. Some power bricks let the different outputs "steal" from one another, up to the total output of the brick itself: they're like having a more bulky and expensive version of a daisy-chain connector, that's all.

My thoughts, as well...

@surfergirl - the PP3 and the PP3+ would both be overkill for your pedal chain. You can probably get along very nicely with just a One Spot and a daisy-chain for those. I can't find Current Draw specs for the Fulltone 2B, but none of your other pedals even draw down 100 mA, so the PP2+ is more than enough power for now.

Now, finding the exact ma current draw specs for the Fulltone 2B has proven to be surprisingly daunting! Even that Stinkfoot Power List has its voltage range- "5-18vDC (9-18vDC recommended)"- but not its current draw.

However... the Fulltone FD-3 Full-Drive3, a dual-stomp overdrive and boost (love mine!), includes the 2B as its Clean Boost/Germanium Limiter side-

-and THAT dual-pedal has a TOTAL MAXIMUM CURRENT-DRAW of a mere 13 mA max.

So it's safe to assume that the 2B easily has less than 13ma current-draw requirements, likely considerably less. I think that a Visual Sound/Truetone 1 Spot Daisy Chain or Voodoo Lab PP2+ would be fine here for all six pedals.

I will add that I do find that the 2B- and the F-D3- sound and perform their best when run on 18v, though "Your Mileage May Vary". If you find the same, it's worth it to either go with a separate individual 18v PS for the 2B (Fulltone offers a good one), or an inline voltage-doubler adapter such as those offered by Truetone 1 Spot and Xotic California Effects; both of these are relatively inexpensive. The Truetone Voltage Doubler can handle up to 100ma current draw and will double 9v to 18v, and 12v to 24v. The Xotic Voltage Doubler can handle up to 80ma current draw, and will convert 9v to either 15v or 18v (selectable).

I've used a VS 1 Spot "Combo Pack" (lots of convenient, handy adapters, etc.) for years, along with a Voodoo Lab (Pedal Power) 'DIGITAL' Power Supply for my higher-current and noise-sensitive pedals; that 1 Spot has served me very well.

Bear in mind that many digital pedals will emit weird 'electronic' noises if daisy-chained or even if powered by dodgy power-supply adapters; some vintage-style fuzzes cannot be daisy-chained for power, and may even require a reverse-polarity "pin positive' ('pin + ') power-supply or an inline-adapter. Though if I recall correctly, surfergirl, I believe that your EHX Satisfaction Fuzz has no worries there.

@Caevan - Knowing your fondness for Octave effects, I suspect you've run into the issue where most Octavia clones won't work with a daisy-chain. Makes it a PITA when a low current draw pedal still demands its own power supply.

@surfergirl - Voodoo Lab also offers a sort of Y-shaped jumper cable, that will let you draw power from two 9-volt Outs and combine them to power one 18-volt pedal; I use it to supply 18 volts to my Catalinbread Bicycle Delay, and it works very nicely. You can also buy a dedicated 18-volt power supply, and plug it into the courtesy plug in the back of the PP2+, although you'll probably need one of these to fill in the gap between the rear of the pedalboard, and the plug in the back of the PP2+.

@Caevan - Knowing your fondness for Octave effects, I suspect you've run into the issue where most Octavia clones won't work with a daisy-chain. Makes it a PITA when a low current draw pedal still demands its own power supply.

Yeah; as I'd posted above, " ...some vintage-style fuzzes cannot be daisy-chained for power, and may even require a reverse-polarity "pin positive' ('pin + ') power-supply or an inline-adapter. Though if I recall correctly, surfergirl, I believe that your EHX Satisfaction Fuzz has no worries there." I've definitely found that to be the case with vintage Octavia/Octavio based octave-fuzzes, and also vintage Fuzz Face types.

I do have a fun FY-2 Companion-based fuzz pedal, recently acquired, recently made- made in the USA, and brand-new for merely fifty dollars!- that was cleverly, thoughtfully designed to be used with any standard 9vdc, center-negative Boss barrel-plugged power supply! I believe that it can be daisy-chained for power, though I'm unsure. Anyway, let me introduce you- "Hey, Buddy!" ( < That's a link)

nqnws9rrows81d6upkh0.jpg

@surfergirl - Voodoo Lab also offers a sort of Y-shaped jumper cable, that will let you draw power from two 9-volt Outs and combine them to power one 18-volt pedal; I use it to supply 18 volts to my Catalinbread Bicycle Delay, and it works very nicely.

I've used those! And also a similar Y-style current doubler adapter. Those are great. I got those offered by Voodoo Lab. The in-line voltage-doublers like the Truetone and Xotic models that I mentioned above are really convenient, though, and don't take up two outlets from a power-supply like PP2+.