Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth Patches unusable

So kind of the OPPOSITE of THIS thread about synth patches in hits used unaltered. In that case, obviously those patches were very usable out of the box. But many synths had patches that were designed more to demo capabilities without being usable at all in a song.

I'll kick it off with the Roland MT-32 (whose sound set made it into the GS set of sounds), "One Note Jam".

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Eric Persing is a genius. I think I heard most the D-50 patches on hit records.

Patch 66 Shakuhachi D-50

[video:youtube]

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I had a small Novation "Analog Modeled" synth thingie, I think it was similar to this one - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Novation-K-Station-Analog-Modelling-Synth-in-great-used-condition-with-adapter/124199896763?hash=item1ceae406bb:g:cW0AAOSwcPNezAzO

But it also had an audio interface built in and could be used as a MIDI controller.

The presets were fluffy, thin, annoying sounding crap. Instead of seeing if it could actually be tweaked to sound good, I got rid of it. I don't miss it.

For me, the Kurzweil K2000 and K2000R (I had both at one point or another, they were too cheap to pass up) both had some cool presets and also some pretty useless sounds that maybe they put in there so it wouldn't sound like everybody else's sytths - but maybe everybody else's synths sounded pretty good? I dunno, just using a 25 key controller and ITB now, works for what I do with keys since I am not good at them.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The d50"s digital native dance.

that patch sold many, many D 50 keyboards

Agreed - I remember playing tha patch on a friend's newly purchased D50 at the time and it blew me away.

I still have my D-50. I could still gig with it ... well I sort of do using my D-05.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

This sounds like it ought to be a challenge.

That was in the back of my mind when I posted this, but more along the lines of thinking that I'd post suggestions that were unusable just to have somebody find an example of somebody actually using it.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Oberheim OB8. Several patches showed off it's ability to change LFO speed as a sound evolves. Interesting but too specific for general use.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I thought that about the M1 "Universe" patch, but then it ended up in countless movie soundtracks.

So it's like the Papyrus font of patches? :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I thought that about the M1 "Universe" patch, but then it ended up in countless movie soundtracks.

So it's like the Papyrus font of patches? :D

I actually used Papyrus ONCE on album art. Looked great, no one hassled me for it, never again (you don't get that lucky twice).

As for demo sounds that no one would ever use on a song: Ski Jam on the Korg Wavestation. Hoom chucka bucka chucka bucka chucka chuckadoodle boom chucka bucka chucka ooomfwippa chuckadoodle lather rinse repeat.

The last time I did music for a live modern dance performance, the client kept asking for more and more simplicity, throwing out the beautiful melody and chord progression I'd written as she stripped it farther and farther down. Finally in frustration, I fired up my WSA/D and held down Ski Jam for three minutes, recorded it and sent it to her.

Honestly, guys... do I really need to tell you how this story ends? FML.

Dr. Mike Metlay (PhD in nuclear physics, golly gosh) :D

Musician, Author, Editor, Educator, Impresario, Online Radio Guy, Cut-Rate Polymath, and Kindly Pedant

Editor-in-Chief, Bjooks ~ Author of SYNTH GEMS 1

clicky!:  more about me ~ my radio station (and my fam) ~ my local tribe ~ my day job ~ my bookmy music