Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Synth patches that turned into hits, without alteration.

We get a lot of synth patches that recreate iconic synth sounds from the past, but sometimes in the chicken or the egg question, it is the synth patch that comes first, and then someone uses it on a hit without altering it in the least. What are some of the patches that you remember turning up on hits later on. Here is one that I remember.

Herbie Handcock - Roket. The synth clave patch that is used on the solo beginning at the 2:53 mark is straight from the Rhodes Chroma. I never had to tweak the sound at all to use it for the song. I do remember that Herbie Handcock owned a Chroma.

[video:youtube]

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The first 8 bars of Foreigner's "Say You Will" was the D-50 Staccato Heaven, and the intro to Chicago's "Look Away" was the D-50 Fantasia patch. The producers might have muted the internal effects and replaced them with outboard effects, but the patches themselves sound untouched otherwise. And of course Enya's "Orinoco Flow" made the D-50's Pizzagogo patch famous. I have a D05, and it's nearly impossible to scroll through these patches without playing a few bars of those tunes just for nostalgia. :keys2:

Countless pop ballads used the DX7's signature EP patch, although many of them sound tweaked and/or processed. Can't bring myself to listen to them long enough to tell for sure... :P:laugh:

(BTW, I owned and loved the DX7. :cool: I think it's quite unfair that so many dog it for its cliche patches that were overused. It was capable of so much more. :thu: )

><>

Steve

Nothing like a D50 intro to set up a late 80s song. Helped Eric Clapton sound up to date.

[video:youtube]

C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Wasn't the "Jump" sound the patch that loaded up right out of the box when you turned on that particular Oberheim?

The M1 piano in "Everybody Dance Now" and countless other derivative songs.

Less well-known: The M1 Overture patch (preset 42) in any post-1988 Bruce Hornsby song where he has a pad underneath the piano.

Wasn't a "hit" but I found it pretty jarring to hear Keith Emerson playing that "Native Dance" d-50 preset as-is on a record...I think it was on the one from the band "3" he was in with Carl Palmer. Every tom dick and harry with a D-50 was playing that patch!

I'll give Keith a pass just because I'm feeling generous, and because he can play a bit :) (My band covered a song from that record, we had no threshold for "too obscure" back then.)

That nasty/gnarly bass octave thing in 'Money for Nothing' by Dire Straits. Not sure if it was an original/unaltered DX-7 patch but it sounded really close to the recording. I think it was called 'Creation.' Had a blast playing it (loudly) when we did that tune.

I think the song 'What About Love' by Heart prominently featured a DX-7 patch called 'Analog Brass' although it was a fairly generic patch. I got a lot of mileage out of that program. Sounded wonderful MIDIed with this big chorus-laden string patch I had in my Juno-106.

Speaking of the Juno-106, I think the lead synth from 'Axel-F' was a stock patch.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw