Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So 2020 Really Sucks....Except...

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool, I remember working on that piano shortly getting out of piano technician school! Glad it's still working for you :)

But 2020 wasn't all that bad...

* Toilet paper manufacturers have best year ever!

* MusicPlayer.com keeps growing

* People working at home can do Zoom conferences without wearing pants

* Logitech cameras have best year ever

* Despite our best efforts to break it, internet survives

* MIDI 2.0 introduced

* Those who avoid becoming alcoholics while stuck at home become incredible chefs

* My 2020 album project is my most fun one yet (personal bias alert)

* We never hear the phrase "going viral" any more

* People are playing a lot of music at home, so online music retailers are ecstatic

* Martians invade Kentucky, but no one notices because they're all fixated on the virus and the election

* Kentucky's economy booms, due to 3,520% increase in bourbon sales to extraterrestrials

* Science finds that fortunately, the Corona virus is far less dangerous than the Tecate virus, and not much worse than the Dos Equis virus

Those are all causes to celebrate, in my book.

* Martians invade Kentucky, but no one notices because they're all fixated on the virus and the election

* Kentucky's economy booms, due to 3,520% increase in bourbon sales to extraterrestrials

:) :) :)

That's a perfect Rodney Dangerfield kind of line!

nat

Cool, I remember working on that piano shortly getting out of piano technician school! Glad it's still working for you :)

But 2020 wasn't all that bad...

* MusicPlayer.com keeps growing

Those are all causes to celebrate, in my book.

The piano sounds amazing, wish I was more worthy!

The folks here remain feisty indeed and I've really become addicted to the great conversations and discussions!

I wouldn't bet on that. In order to make a killing when demand is high, you have to be able to meet the demand. Most of the toilet paper that's manufactured is for those horrible industrial/institutional dispensers like the ones you see in public restrooms - roll a little narrower than home size, about a foot and a half in diameter, and no perforations. It's packaged in large crates and shipped in bulk to places that don't sell home toilet paper. So in order to meet the consumer demand for toilet paper, they'd have to convert their manufacturing tooling to make the different size paper, package it differently, and beef up their shipping to the distributors that carry it.

And more in line with this forum, "Podcasting" microphones and webcams are, with all the Zoom-ing and podcasting by people who have never done it, are also in short supply. That stuff is all made in China, and with China's factories shut down, plus questionable business dealings with China, they are in short supply as well.

I wouldn't bet on that. In order to make a killing when demand is high, you have to be able to meet the demand. Most of the toilet paper that's manufactured is for those horrible industrial/institutional dispensers like the ones you see in public restrooms - roll a little narrower than home size, about a foot and a half in diameter, and no perforations. It's packaged in large crates and shipped in bulk to places that don't sell home toilet paper. So in order to meet the consumer demand for toilet paper, they'd have to convert their manufacturing tooling to make the different size paper, package it differently, and beef up their shipping to the distributors that carry it.

That's actually not the case. It's being sold to consumers in relatively small quantities from places like Amazon, and you can bet that the companies are not selling those at the thousand-piece price.

That's actually not the case. It's being sold to consumers in relatively small quantities from places like Amazon, and you can bet that the companies are not selling those at the thousand-piece price.

It is only recently that humans have had toilet paper and certainly only in some areas even today.

So, we don't really need it!!!! :laugh:

2020: Everybody stops wiping and we all get used to new fragrances...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

It is only recently that humans have had toilet paper and certainly only in some areas even today.

So, we don't really need it!!!! :laugh:

2020: Everybody stops wiping and we all get used to new fragrances...

I am using toilet paper until the day i die.

I am using toilet paper until the day i die.

The same sheet?

Seriously, folks, the toilet paper crisis is over for most of us living where there are chain grocery stores. But look up

Podcast Microphones on Amazon and you'll see a few from brands that should be familiar to most of us here, plus dozens from manufacturers you've never heard of, many of which are not expected to be in stock before next week. If you wanted one ASAP, which one would you choose? I wouldn't have a clue, but a desperate person could get one now.

But look up

Podcast Microphones on Amazon and you'll see a few from brands that should be familiar to most of us here, plus dozens from manufacturers you've never heard of, many of which are not expected to be in stock before next week. If you wanted one ASAP, which one would you choose?

Hands down, Beecaster USB mic for $99 (or maybe it's $129 now). I've been using it for conference calls and VOIP since it came out, and it's fabulous.

The 1920 Steinway in the front room is celebrating a 100th birthday!

0pnNx7Q_bYZeR1Avs1YzGBj9A

0zuzWpDpuPlF4XjsNc5ZMDLWQ

Nice! Congrats..I couldn't imagine having a Steinway in my house, mostly because one wouldn't fit. But I do plan on having at least a 5'8" grand at some point, probably an older Baldwin or Yamaha. Until then I am enjoying a freebie Kimball upright, retired church piano. Nothing like the real deal!

The 1920 Steinway in the front room is celebrating a 100th birthday!

0pnNx7Q_bYZeR1Avs1YzGBj9A

0zuzWpDpuPlF4XjsNc5ZMDLWQ

Nice! Congrats..I couldn't imagine having a Steinway in my house, mostly because one wouldn't fit. But I do plan on having at least a 5'8" grand at some point, probably an older Baldwin or Yamaha. Until then I am enjoying a freebie Kimball upright, retired church piano. Nothing like the real deal!

The piano was willed to my wife years ago from an "aunt" in California. It's had some typical work done and gets regular servicing. She was required to have it appraised recently when we switched to a different insurance company, it wasn't easy to find someone who could do that in this area.

Until she met me (we've been married just under four years) she primarily played classical music and is an excellent sight reader. Now, of course, she's "expanded" into a more pop oriented direction and I've been teaching her more about theory and improv. Up until a year and a half ago I was still working as the keyboard player in a popular local band and I often used the piano to work up and practice new songs. Now when I sit down at it I'm not very focused and just improv chord progressions or noodle away at blues and boogie patterns.

When my wife and I went on the two week Armenian mission trip a few years ago, one of the recommendations was to carry some US toilet paper with us. The seminary where we stayed the first week had US style facilities, and the motel that we stayed in Artsakh (small country with Armenian folk living there inside Azerbaijan, fighting a war after both were released by the USSR empire, not officially recognized by the UN or many other countries) also had US style facilities.

If one was on the road, as it were, the gas stations had public rest rooms. Usually with dirt (sometimes concrete) floor, with a "hole" and an overpowering odor.

I brought back a foot or two of the local tp - smaller in width than US, kind of orangish in color, and with a feel like 220 or 400 grain sandpaper as a souvenir. Loved both countries and the people who lived there. Met a few Iranians (at the time, they didn't have internal facilities to process crute oil into gasoline & diesel, so there were frequent tanker trucks going through Armenia to some part of Russia). Still correspond with a few folks there.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

When my wife and I went on the two week Armenian mission trip a few years ago, one of the recommendations was to carry some US toilet paper with us. . . . .

I brought back a foot or two of the local tp - smaller in width than US, kind of orangish in color, and with a feel like 220 or 400 grain sandpaper as a souvenir.

That pretty well describes the toilet paper I had in my room at the Best Western Meridian in Orange, CA, where I was staying during the NAMM show just this past January. Not only was the roll about 1/4" narrower than the current standard (which is 3/4" narrower than the 1950s standard) but the perforations were about 1/4" closer together than on the current major brands' standard.

That pretty well describes the toilet paper I had in my room at the Best Western Meridian in Orange, CA, where I was staying during the NAMM show just this past January. Not only was the roll about 1/4" narrower than the current standard (which is 3/4" narrower than the 1950s standard) but the perforations were about 1/4" closer together than on the current major brands' standard.

You've just brought new meaning to the word "downsizing."

You've just brought new meaning to the word "downsizing."

Perhaps the answer it to eat less? :laugh:

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Perhaps one of the reasons for all the "Wash your hands at least 20 seconds with soap" recommendations??????"

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim