Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Physical Gearfest 2020 cancelled, Virtual GearFest 6/26-6/27

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Another one bites the dust. But as Chuck would say, "it's the right thing to do." With 15,000+ people, it's almost certain that even in June, there would be enough asymptomatic people floating around to be problematic - especially given that people come literally from all over the world.

Disappointed but relieved in a strange way.

I attended my first one last year, it is a cool event. NAMM is tailored to retailers and distributors, Gearfest is tailored to musicians and studio owners. Unlike NAMM, you can actually buy stuff at Gearfest.

Disappointed of course, but kudos to Chuck Surack and Sweetwater for doing the safe thing.

Stephen Fortner

Principal, Fortner Media

Former Editor in Chief, Keyboard Magazine

Digital Piano Consultant, Piano Buyer Magazine

Industry affiliations: Antares, Arturia, Giles Communications, MS Media, Polyverse

Killing your customers is never a sales good strategy :)

I once asked someone at Sweetwater whether GearFest made money, lost money, broke even, or what. Obviously it's a big deal to put on, expensive, and sucks up a lot of Sweetwater talent for an extended period of time.

I was told the official position was "it doesn't matter, it's worth doing regardless." It's too bad they had to decide it's not worth doing, regardless. But Chuck has a history of doing the right thing.

I once asked someone at Sweetwater whether GearFest made money, lost money, broke even, or what. Obviously it's a big deal to put on, expensive, and sucks up a lot of Sweetwater talent for an extended period of time.

I was told the official position was "it doesn't matter, it's worth doing regardless." It's too bad they had to decide it's not worth doing, regardless. But Chuck has a history of doing the right thing.

I love businesses that seem to be based on doing the right thing, even if it means paying a little more. It's worth it for me to spend my money with them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

OMG. I just now saw this. My GF and I plan our summer trip to the midwest every year around this event. Very sad. Very sad.

We will miss seeing AE, dB, MM and all the rest of the usual players.

Oh well, 2021 it is.

~ vonnor

Gear:

Hardware: Nord Stage3, Korg Kronos 2, Novation Summit

Software: Cantabile 3, Halion Sonic 3 and assorted VST plug-ins.

• 2 weeks later...
I believe they will.

dB

I too have heard those rumors...fingers crossed. I know Chuck hated to cancel it, it's such a cool event, but the dude's inventive. Let's see what he comes up with :)

Yes, they are going to do a virtual event.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

• 1 month later...
Looks like a nice lineup of talent. BT and Billy Gibbons on the same ticket?!? I plan to set aside those days and watch some seminars. Signed up for giveaways.

Ummm . . . is this what you're looking at and how and what to sign up for? Sweetwater Gearfest link?

Who's BT?

I just finished a 21-minute video presentation for Virtual GearFest.

Who's BT?

Brian Transeau is an EDM pioneer with a really impressive resume. Coincidentally, I've been collaborating with him on a project for the past several weeks, but if I told you what it was, I would have to shoot you.

Looks like a nice lineup of talent. BT and Billy Gibbons on the same ticket?!? I plan to set aside those days and watch some seminars. Signed up for giveaways.

Ummm . . . is this what you're looking at and how and what to sign up for? Sweetwater Gearfest link?

Giveaways. They have a lot of drawings.

Who's BT?

[video:youtube]

[video:youtube]

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

It is Gearfest weekend. I'm going into full staycation mode. Got a mixed case of Mike's Hard Lemonaid and a big pack of porkchops to put on the grill. Plan on spending much of the next two days in the recliner in front of my 32" iMac watching Gearfest and pretending I'm there. I almost forgot. Placed an order with Sweetwater yesterday and then saw the reminder. I meant to hold off ordering anything in hopes of a Gearfest discount. Most of my big drum set and many of my guitars were purchased during Gearfest with added discounts. Oh well, it was not a big order. A really nice pedal board power supply (1Spot Pro CS12), Boss pedal tuner, and a few other items for my guitar/bass pedals. Been thinking about getting a Boss Katana for a guitar practice amp. May grab one of those this weekend.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page