Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Most portable keyboard stand?

I'm looking for an extremely portable keyboard stand that would give me the least amount of hassle taking on public transit. I'm thinking the K&M Baby Spider Pro could be an option, since seems that you can fold it down pretty compactly into a carrying bag (https://www.thomann.de/gr/km_18846_tragetasche_babyspider.htm). Just wondering if anyone has any other potentially even more portable options. I would be using a Mojo61 with the stand, so not much weight at all.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Might consider the Stay Compact: https://www.staymusicstands.com/products/supports-for-keyboards/compact/compact/ . Their stuff is pretty lightweight and quite good for what it is. In fact they may be a better bet than Apex. (I haven't used the Spider. I expect the K&M is better, but Stay's stands are a lot lighter and a lot less expensive.)

-Z-

Just bought a stay slim and its soooooo lightweight

A 2 tier version. The compact is a cutdown slim.

But thecslim does have caveat on weight it can handle 20kg overall or 10kg each tier but youll be right with a lightweight 61

This company really took a good look at what I call the bazooka stand and was ablecto reduce weight and size.

Waiting for the band to get back together soon to be able to try it out

I like Stantastic. once you set all the many adjustments up to your liking, it breaks down very small and comes with a bag. the thing I also like is that the stand is extremely sturdy. I hate to even watch somebody play a keyboard that is bouncing, like on a Apex stand.

I have a single braced stand that I still use for practice, holds my 37 pound PC3 easily. The legs and arms actually detach from the stand so that it fits into a box that is about 3 foot high, 6 inches wide and 4 inches thick. Total weight maybe 10 pounds max if that. I've put it on airplanes as a carry on.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I like Stantastic. once you set all the many adjustments up to your liking, it breaks down very small and comes with a bag. the thing I also like is that the stand is extremely sturdy. I hate to even watch somebody play a keyboard that is bouncing, like on a Apex stand.

I came to this conclusion too. It"s A frame shape takes up some room on the stage, but the break down into the bag is compact and evenly weighted for handle carry.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I didn't care for the standtastic stand I had, but it wasn't due to portability so much. Kind of a hassle to set up and too deep.

I have a Spider Pro and while it's been great it's pretty bulky and heavy. I'm assuming the baby spider not so much :) It also doesn't stack well on my cart when I use it, being a cylinder with one end wider and heavier than the other. Just something to consider, surprising how much aggravation loading up my cart can be with oddball items like that (and my chair).

My buddy has a Stay stand and it's very light. I was considering getting one before CV even though I have the spider pro to make transport that much easier. The legs and arms aren't attached but they are quick to go on. I've also read that eventually the spider pro leg joints can weaken and that worries me a bit.

I have the Baby Spider Pro and like it quite a bit. It's a little bulky to carry, but not too bad. I also have the K&M bag designed for the stand, but I'm not a big fan. It's a little flimsy, and the handles are too long to allow it to be carried easily, but they don't work over the shoulder either. I think I'm going to look for a different bag when this one gives out. A bag that can be carried like a backpack would be great with this stand.

This has been mentioned on other threads before by other folks, but I cannot imagine a keyboard stand more portable than the K&M 18880. I use it with the second-tier stacker, CP4 on bottom and Mojo 61 on top. It's so light, stable, and quick to set up (quite literally around five seconds) that I barely even think about it.

Numa X Piano 73 | Yamaha CP4 | Mojo 61 | Motion Sound KP-612s | Hammond M3

I have the Stay Slim Model Single Tier Keyboard Stand with Bag. I can't imagine a keyboard stand more portable. It breaks down into a slim bag and weighs very little, but is easy to set up and very stable. You could probably sling the bag over your shoulder and barely notice it. I just grab the bag with the same hand I grab the Nord 5D 61 key bag and I'm good to go. The bag is much slimmer than the one pictured for the K&M 18846 pictured in the link in the OP.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I have the Stay Slim Model Single Tier Keyboard Stand with Bag. .

El Lobo, given the design, I'm guessing there is some amount of side to side wobble, but that it's within your tolerances. Can you comment?

This stand has not been on my radar but now I'm interested. For a single keyboard I've been using the OnStage WS8540 "T stand," the smaller one. For sitting down, I take out the leg extensions. In that form, it's super light.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I have the Stay Slim Model Single Tier Keyboard Stand with Bag. .

El Lobo, given the design, I'm guessing there is some amount of side to side wobble, but that it's within your tolerances. Can you comment?

I don't experience any side to side wobble. The keyboard sits on 2 bars that extend out from the stand. The tripod legs don't allow any side to side movement. I learned about this stand in a thread about stands here on KC. Search on Stay stand and see what you turn up. I've had several stands. Before this I used a Gator Frameworks table stand. Very heavy and very good. But I was looking for something with the smallest possible stage footprint--y'know, to fit onto postage stamp stages and spaces. I play standing up (I double on sax) so my requirement is that the stand goes high enough for me to do that. I don't experience any stability problem with it. My main issue with it is that, with the leg design, I have difficulty getting my volume/swell pedal in just the right place ... and if it moves, it's hard to get it back with my foot. I mostly don't use a sustain pedal because I'm playing rock and blues, and mostly organ. Having just written this, and thinking about it for the first time in a while (no gigging), maybe I'll put some velcro or double-sided tape on the bottom of the volume pedal. Then all my problems will be solved and everything will be groovy ... yeah, right. :)
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

I got the double tier tower from American Musical Supply a couple months ago. It was clear Stay's US distribution was sparse, but I figured it might have to do with COVID-19 or something. Looks like they can be ordered on Amazon UK. Normally I wouldn't recommend going out of one's way to find a supplier, but it's not a thing that is likely to require much after sale support and if it is the perfect stand for one's needs, it's worth getting.

-Z-

I got the double tier tower from American Musical Supply a couple months ago. It was clear Stay's US distribution was sparse, but I figured it might have to do with COVID-19 or something. Looks like they can be ordered on Amazon UK. Normally I wouldn't recommend going out of one's way to find a supplier, but it's not a thing that is likely to require much after sale support and if it is the perfect stand for one's needs, it's worth getting.

I found the Stay Compact on Amazon UK and tried to order it but was not allowed because I live in the states.

I was a bit curious at to whether the Stay slim would work (I was about to buy a Nord Stage compact before this virus hit). It's right at the weight limit so I was thinking I'd need to go with the Tower. That's a bit heavier so it sort of partly defeats the purpose. On the plus side the tower has a mic boom adapter, I love having this on a stand.

One thing I like about the Stay design is that you can go from one to three tiers (maybe more if one was really low!) with the same stand, at least that is my impression.

I'm going to be the odd one out and vote for the K&M 18950. Wait, you say, it's a table stand, that can't be that compact. The key is that once assembled, you can fold it down to a TINY rectangular footprint. I bought one because I needed the most compact stand possible to fit in a music locker along with a 76-key keyboard in a case and a few other items, but also be sturdy and well-made. Nice weight too. Cheapest to import from Germany via Thomann, but of course the warranty is based in Germany and not the US then. I feel like the US prices are a joke as far as markup goes. Anyways, I've been happy with mine so far - disclaimer I haven't used it at college yet as that will be in August. But it is SMALL, as long as you don't mind setting the height/width at the gig. And very stable and sturdy.

https://m.thomannmusic.com/km_18950.htm

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I'm going to be the odd one out and vote for the K&M 18950.

Spec says ~21 pounds. The Stay compact is ~5 pounds. The Stay Tower with two tiers is ~11.6 pounds. Even the Baby Spider is ~17.7 pounds. There are reasons to want a heavier stand, but if you're carrying it on the subway, not so much...

-Z-

On the plus side the tower has a mic boom adapter, I love having this on a stand.

Note that the Stay Tower has a 3/8th-16 *female* mic connection. To use this on US standard mic attachments, you'll need a 3/8th-16 female to 5/8-27 male adapter setup. This is less common, but e.g. OnStage UM-99 plus MA100B will work. Could also go with a 3/8th-16 stud and a 3/8th-16 male to 5/8-27 male adapter (which is as common as dirt). Or you can buy the gooseneck thing from Stay, but the price I saw was rather ridiculous. (3/8th-16 is European standard I believe, but I don't see how it being female makes any sense.)

-Z-

As we all know, some stands are better for sitting, some better for standing. With a tower style stand like the Stay you might have trouble getting your lower body into a comfortable position. It's at least a question, I wouldn't know unless I tried it. Also, a tower style stand is a less than ideal visual presentation if you're sitting down.

Some table style or "T" stands don't go low enough to play while sitting in a standard chair, meaning you'll have to bring a stool to be achieve optimal ergonomics. Bringing a stool may not be a big deal, but in this discussion about minimizing weight and taking rigs on public transportation, etc., it's something to consider.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

As we all know, some stands are better for sitting, some better for standing.

Does anyone make a stand that adjusts quickly in height, without need to remove, say 50lbs of boards and gear? None of mine can adjust without lifting the board off them, or some serious "twister" moves.

What do you guys think is a simple way to gauge proper seating height? Or standing height for that matter?

I'm thinking elbows, with arms relaxed are X" above level of white key surface...? Or even? I see players just ripping with elbows lower than key top.

As I start to practice more and more, I'm moving between various keyboards to avoid repetitive injury. Is there really a correct height at all?

My lightest stand is one of those cheap Amazon X stands. Flimsy but nice when I need it. Usually it's not in use. But an ultralight stand would be really nice. My cameras have graphite tripods, which are way lighter than the exact aluminium copies.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments.