Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Waldorf Iridium

Unexpected: a desktop version of the Waldorf Quantum, without the analog filters and VCAs, but with twice the polyphony and half the price. Bi-timbral too.

Btw, they setup a page on their site, then withdrew it... the images and specs are taken from a mirror site.

In any case, very interesting. I could make without the pads to have more room for the knobs, but what the heck. We are living in a golden age of synthesizers.

7WIsbc4.jpg

8UgN59Q.jpg

P3OPbyt.png

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whatever the taxes. it is VERY expensive - those prices equate to around $4k down here!! for a module :pop:

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

Anyone own a modern Waldorf before? Do they follow through with firmware updates after release? Does the hardware hold up to use?

It being a VA always have to wonder if better off with a VST. If their hardware is quality and will last as long as a JV-1010 then maybe worth a try.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

whatever the taxes. it is VERY expensive - those prices equate to around $4k down here!! for a module :pop:

Indeed - Waldorf are on the pricey end of things usually anyway but the current exchange rate doesn't help. Damn it looks nice though ;)

To my understanding, it has the same identical architecture of the Quantum, but the analog filters are replaced by modeled digital versions. I guess patches are compatible too.

Of course, I want to hear it, to check whether the digital filters will detract much from the sound quality or not. But I love the sound and concept of the Quantum a lot, and the prospect to have a version of it with twice the polyphony at half the price is appealing. I could even decide to replace my Q with this thing. Or better said... my only hope to get the Iridium would be to sell the Q, or some other thing. :freak:

I would also need to check one in person, to see if the knobs are placed too closely for my big fingers. I was also afraid that many knobs would have two or three functions, like on the Q rack - but looking at the panel, they seem very logically distributed. I have actually counted the knobs, and there are about 50 on the Iridium, compared with about 60 on the Quantum, so I guess not much has been sacrificed on that front. So my main concern is the knobs being placed too close.

doesn't have a few of the exotic features, but sounds excellent.

.... I have been wondering about this. What are the main features in the Iridium that someone would be paying extra for?

Mmm.... realtime granular synthesis, complex FM (much different from the simple FM on the Blofeld), resonators, 6 envs, 6 lfos, great visual interface with big touch screen, lots of knobs?! :D

Btw, it's now at Thomann at 2199 Euros.

https://www.thomann.de/it/waldorf_iridium.htm

To my understanding, it has the same identical architecture of the Quantum, but the analog filters are replaced by modeled digital versions. I guess patches are compatible too.

Of course, I want to hear it, to check whether the digital filters will detract much from the sound quality or not. .

I just saw a comment on another forum that the Quantum's analog filters weren't that good, and thus dropping them in favor of digital filters in the Iridium to lower the cost was a good move.

Taste in filters is so subjective though.

Of course, I want to hear it, to check whether the digital filters will detract much from the sound quality or not. .

I just saw a comment on another forum that the Quantum's analog filters weren't that good, and thus dropping them in favor of digital filters in the Iridium to lower the cost was a good move.

According to the rep that posted on the GS forum the digital filters allows for a true stereo path where as the analog filters are mono only. Having true stereo throughout the signal path is awesome imo. As to the sound of either I don't take much stock in what anyone else on GS says. Won't take long to find every opinion imaginable - and then some. Also there's nothing other than conjecture that the analog filters were removed to reduce cost. My guess would be more a factor of sizing and/or number of circuit boards to accommodate the desktop form factor which in turn would reduce cost, but who knows.

Another thing from the rep is they are seriously looking to see if they can up the polyphony of the Quantum from 8 to 16 voices. He's uncertain at this point whether it's even possible but good on Waldorf for being forthcoming with this possibility.

According to the rep that posted on the GS forum the digital filters allows for a true stereo path where as the analog filters are mono only. Having true stereo throughout the signal path is awesome imo. As to the sound of either I don't take much stock in what anyone else on GS says. Won't take long to find every opinion imaginable - and then some. Also there's nothing other than conjecture that the analog filters were removed to reduce cost. My guess would be more a factor of sizing and/or number of circuit boards to accommodate the desktop form factor which in turn would reduce cost, but who knows.

Another thing from the rep is they are seriously looking to see if they can up the polyphony of the Quantum from 8 to 16 voices. He's uncertain at this point whether it's even possible but good on Waldorf for being forthcoming with this possibility.

Aside from cost, polyphony was the other (speculated) reason digital filters may have been chosen for Iridium which has 16 vs. the Quantum's 8.

I think polyphony is important for a stereo atmospheric synth like this with the deep modulation matrix and such. I"d love to see some people get their hands on Quantum/Iridium and do some great leads and basses too. Pads with motion we know it can do.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I think polyphony is important for a stereo atmospheric synth like this with the deep modulation matrix and such. I"d love to see some people get their hands on Quantum/Iridium and do some great leads and basses too. Pads with motion we know it can do.

For me, 8 voices is already plenty. I don't have quite the arsenal that other people posting on this thread have, but I do have enough other synths to layer with if I need more voices.

In case they'll really get to double the polyphony in the Quantum, I think that the extra voices will get digital filters, a bit like on the Q+. Perhaps, a layer with analog filters and one with digital ones...

In case they'll really get to double the polyphony in the Quantum, I think that the extra voices will get digital filters, a bit like on the Q+. Perhaps, a layer with analog filters and one with digital ones...

I believe I read something similar. It appears a number of comments from the rep were deleted since yesterday although I could be mistaken. Future development should be interesting.

• 7 months later...

Anyone here actually OWN one of these yet?

The demos certainly sound gorgeous and quite unique. It'a a lot of synth for the money...

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

This is on the "very interested" list for sure. I love that it has alternate oscillators. My mind loves how sophisticated it is. But I am also aware that it means "steep learning curve". I get so much usefulness out of the OB-6 because it is simple. There is a part of me that thinks, a Prophet 10, while vastly less capable in an absolute sense, would return loads of useful sounds much quicker.... We will see - still waiting on Osmose....