Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

We�ve been visited by aliens

A little jam for Nord, featuring the Stage 3 and Lead. These two ladies... what can I say, they have an amazing connection, a really unique sound and I think they are just visiting on their interplanetary travels.

[video:youtube]

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's some kinds of jazz i just don't get or particularly like. 99% of the time that's my reaction, but there was one time, in a Stockholm club, that I heard a loud 3 piece band playing music not dissimilar, all over the place, just like I don't like. And for some reason, no drugs involved, on this one night it took me to a transcendent place, really blew my mind.

I wish it'd changed me- before and since, I have no connection to this music. Enlighten me, or not, but I am curious what other people hear and find of value other than the insane chops and sense of rhythym they possess.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

what other people hear and find of value other than the insane chops and sense of rhythym they possess.

Chops and weird chords not so much, but I always find crazy rhythms captivating on a very instinctive level. Sometimes I create a Musescore file just to find out how it sounds if you put 4 over 3 then take 4 of those 3 and put 3 over those 4. Or something like that... I even reached the limits of the rhythmic understanding of Musescore a few times!

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

There's some kinds of jazz i just don't get or particularly like. 99% of the time that's my reaction, but there was one time, in a Stockholm club, that I heard a loud 3 piece band playing music not dissimilar, all over the place, just like I don't like. And for some reason, no drugs involved, on this one night it took me to a transcendent place, really blew my mind.

I wish it'd changed me- before and since, I have no connection to this music. Enlighten me, or not, but I am curious what other people hear and find of value other than the insane chops and sense of rhythym they possess.

It's the exploration. There most definitely is a main theme here, melody and harmony established the first few times around at the start. Then where do they go before returning? Jumping galaxies in some ways, but I can here where they shift and schism to and it's very heady but it's all within the context and the rhythm holds it together. Yes, as Dave said, I find the rhythm both nervous and unsettling, but that's their style - I hear it on most of their performances that have been popping up. As far as jazz, this isn't and doesn't swing. The underlining drum groove sounds immitative of computer music with quantize at 100% and swing at 0. And lineage.... I don't know, Dave? What do you hear? This is like fusion to me, maybe this is what we get when you start with Brecker Brothers and ignore what came before it?

I love keyboard/drum duos, and this was a total blast for me. For the music, and also that Domi found a pair of stands that set up the Lead at exactly the correct height and front-to-back distance above the Stage.

I say this as an observation, not a criticism: never before have two stunning musicians instilled in me such a deep desire to play Mario Kart. :roll:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Things go in circles. A recording engineer friend of mine recently reflected upon the way young vocalists subconsciously tend to incorporate autotune-like slurs in their singing technique. Apparently we have also gotten to the point where live drummers more and more emulate the sound of programmed drums. Anyhow, DOMi and JD sound very fresh, love it.

I love keyboard/drum duos, and this was a total blast for me. For the music, and also that Domi found a pair of stands that set up the Lead at exactly the correct height and front-to-back distance above the Stage.

I say this as an observation, not a criticism: never before have two stunning musicians instilled in me such a deep desire to play Mario Kart. :roll:

Right?

live drummers more and more emulate the sound of programmed drums.

I've been to a concert before lockdown. The drummer had a cymbal called the Clap Stack. Sounds exactly like a TR-808 clap except it's wholly acoustic. Blew my mind.

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

As far as jazz, this isn't

The piano solo (starting at about 2:13) sounds like jazz to me. I can tell because of how much I disliked it. ;-) But other than that solo, I thought it was a pretty cool piece. And of course, the talent/skill is undeniable throughout.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

This is musicians music. I don't see this as being accessible or appealing to most people. They have skill and some talent but who will care other than people like us that recognize the musicality?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

This is musicians music. I don't see this as being accessible or appealing to most people. They have skill and some talent but who will care other than people like us that recognize the musicality?

Even if that's true, that's not anyone's problem except maybe their own. If they care about those things you mention, then yes, but if they are making music they want to, nothing should stop them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That's a Nord advertisement which is targeted to.... musicians... very neatly done.

As far as jazz, this isn't

The piano solo (starting at about 2:13) sounds like jazz to me. I can tell because of how much I disliked it. ;-) But other than that solo, I thought it was a pretty cool piece. And of course, the talent/skill is undeniable throughout.

Hey, Scott! that quote is a partial truth. I didn't say it wasn't jazz - in context what I meant was that it doesn't swing, therefore it isn't swing. But Jazz, yes it's jazz in the modern definition, not that it matters.

You say that like it's a knock. What's wrong with musician's music? Is there some unspoken obligation that musicians should only play music that's accessible to non-musicians? For all we know, they may not give a shit if non-musicians listen to them or not.

After reading a lot of posts here I get the impression that more non-musicians may appreciate them than any "musicians" on forums like these. We do seem to be quite a critical bunch. Or jealous maybe?

You say that like it's a knock. What's wrong with musician's music? Is there some unspoken obligation that musicians should only play music that's accessible to non-musicians? For all we know, they may not give a shit if non-musicians listen to them or not.

After reading a lot of posts here I get the impression that more non-musicians may appreciate them than any "musicians" on forums like these. We do seem to be quite a critical bunch. Or jealous maybe?

Oh I don't know... I dig what DOMi and JD are up to, that's why I posted it, but they as musicians know what they like to play and have a good idea who might be into it and who probably won't. I like most music, and thoroughly enjoy "musicians music" even if I'm not humming it on the way home. Perhaps its the most fun to discuss, compare, contrast and debate about with musicians because there's so much to hear in how it's put together.

Definitely one of the nicest things about not having a singer with a lyric that takes a more important role, opens things up for the piano player... wide open with just a duo. Although having a bass player in a trio frees things too. in other ways.

It's not a knock I was saying that because I know a lot of people here would probably like it. They can do what they want of course but not all of us have to like it. We also have to realize if post stuff on this forum that the chance of a few of us not liking it is going to happen.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Not my taste in music but obviously talented and the connection between the 2 is strong and impressive to see/hear. My Favorite Things quote in 2nd vid is cool.
These are only my opinions, not supported by any actual knowledge, experience, or expertise.

TBH threads like this on KC all blend together. I'm sure there are at least a couple other threads about Domi and JD where all the same posters make all the same comments and get into all the same debates. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the ones about Jacob Collier, or Dirty Loops, or Jesus Molina, or Peter Bence, or...

Not saying it's a bad thing :cheers:

I'm glad for the discussion.

For me there's something that can be very dis-connected, cerebral in a higher functioning but cut-off way, somewhat autistic, brilliant but to what end? to what connection to ourselves, others, the world at large?

My original connection to music was the one bright spot in growing up in my household, singing around the piano, my inspiration to learn piano and music. At concerts, with smoke and drink aplenty, music was once again a huge inspiration. Then in my 40's going dancing 3-4 times a week for years, and once again music was the driving force. Jamming with friends, so much fun.

This music not so much. But I'm not complaining, I'm looking for a way in. Maybe it's possible to let go of my usual associations, turn this unusual music up, and be stimulated and transported in ways unanticipated, unknown. And if not these particular jams, perhaps one day I'll connect with other musicians making their own trailblazing abstract music.

But I'm not so sure. So far my appreciation of music has very emotional, full of fun and dance. Who knows. But I would guess that you can't take this music in just whatever form it shows up in and expect to grok it. Perhaps a fantastic underscore in a movie in a hyper scene showing excited but agitated thought at light speed. Or perhaps at full volume in a club with a great sound system, a night you are ready to have you mind blown. Or perhaps with a heady, music culture understanding, like trying to understand abstract art, giving your mind a starting point, a toe hold. But for that matter, I've rarely cared for abstract art unless it presented as images-in-the-clouds.

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

TBH threads like this on KC all blend together. I'm sure there are at least a couple other threads about Domi and JD where all the same posters make all the same comments and get into all the same debates. Or maybe I'm just thinking of the ones about Jacob Collier, or Dirty Loops, or Jesus Molina, or Peter Bence, or...

Not saying it's a bad thing :cheers:

I know, and it's kind of a worthless, circular debate because it seems to hinge mostly on each poster's taste (or lack thereof) in music. Of course I have an opinion too â I just like to base it on what seems to me a more concrete set of parameters. As for the video in the OP â well, this particular track is not really the kind of music that moves me â but then again I gather this is some kind of Nord promo and maybe they made up something on the spot? AFA this one track, my issues would be the density of the notes, the fairly narrow dynamic range and the loopy, repetitive nature of the thematic material. As technically impressive as it is, it kinda bores me but at the same time there is absolutely no doubt that these kids have a ton of talent and you cannot make a blanket judgment based on one or a few videos. And I'm sure there are folks who like dense, loopy & repetitive music and could give me just as many cogent reasons why. Chacun à son goût. I will say this â in my experience, most any kind of music that involves a healthy display of chops will 1) get over with a large set of the audience regardless of any musical content, and 2) inspire an equal counter-reaction from the "cognoscenti." And just a quick PS â I do notice these debates happen more often when the music's style leans anywhere near the dreaded "J" word. When it's a progger, it seems like the more notes the better!

And I'm sure there are folks who like dense, loopy & repetitive music and could give me just as many cogent reasons why...And just a quick PS â I do notice these debates happen more often when the music's style leans anywhere near the dreaded "J" word. When it's a progger, it seems like the more notes the better!

I actually see this as kind of proggy too, i.e. the chords, melodies, and rhythmic shifts would not be out of place in prog. (The 5-5-6-8 rhythm seems very prog to me.) Though there's obviously lots of jazz too, i.e. her main piano solo, some of the use of the ride cymbal, the nebulous-attack "fretless" style of bass sound, and that it is (as you put it) a bit "loopy and repetitive" - i.e. that it simply goes back and forth between A and B sections as a lot of jazz does, though an awful lot of pop/rock songs also have no C section (to say nothing of the D E and F sections as prog might have!). But within its admittedly repetitive ABABABAB structure, I wouldn't call it "loopy" in that they really play with it quite a bit. Maybe I'm taking the term too literally, but it's not loopy in the way that songs build out of arpeggiators are, where every occurrence of a section is basically musically identical. The fact that every pass of that A and B sections is played with differently is, I guess, something else that makes it more jazz. Maybe that's also one of the distinctions... jazz is often a lot of variations on a few things, where prog is more apt to be few variations on many things! Dense is an interesting observation, I didn't see it that way, but it depends what you focus on. The "rhythm section" is dense (and her solo), but the chord changes and melody lines are not.

Here a "jazzy prog song" I think share some similarities with this...

[video:youtube]

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)