Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OK, the Corona Virus Isn't Going Away. Now What?

CES 2021 is going ahead as an in-person event. This seems insane to me, but I wonder how many will go.

Granted, most people won't die from it...but I'm not thrilled about surviving if it means permanent lung and kidney damage. I'd rather just not get it in the first place.

Here's another risk of the disease I ain't thrilled about. COVID-19 Can Last for Several Months

COVID-19 Can Last for Several Months

The disease"s 'long-haulers' have endured relentless waves of debilitating symptomsâand disbelief from doctors and friends.

When I spoke with LeClerc on day 66, she was still experiencing waves of symptoms. 'Before this, I was a fit, healthy 32-year-old,' she said. 'Now I"ve been reduced to not being able to stand up in the shower without feeling fatigued. I"ve tried going to the supermarket and I"m in bed for days afterwards. It"s like nothing I"ve ever experienced before.' Despite her best efforts, LeClerc has not been able to get a test, but 'every doctor I"ve spoken to says there"s no shadow of a doubt that this has been COVID,' she said. Today is day 80.

I interviewed nine of them for this story, all of whom share commonalities. Most have never been admitted to an ICU or gone on a ventilator, so their cases technically count as 'mild.' But their lives have nonetheless been flattened by relentless and rolling waves of symptoms that make it hard to concentrate, exercise, or perform simple physical tasks. Most are young. Most were previously fit and healthy. 'It is mild relative to dying in a hospital, but this virus has ruined my life,' LeClerc said. 'Even reading a book is challenging and exhausting. What small joys other people are experiencing in lockdownâyoga, bread bakingâare beyond the realms of possibility for me.'

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just read the Floyd/COVID today in my local paper. I guess they are a bit behind the times.

Thanks for posting the link.

I wonder how many demonstrators have been exposed (of course there is no way to know).

Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com

Style and Fake disks for Band-in-a-Box

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

CES 2021 is going ahead as an in-person event. This seems insane to me, but I wonder how many will go.

NAMM is planning on going ahead with the Winter show as well. However, they're not in "come hell or high water" mode, but "let's continue monitoring the situation" mode.

Here's another risk of the disease I ain't thrilled about. COVID-19 Can Last for Several Months

There seem to be new angles discovered about this thing every day, some good (it's not mutating into different enough forms to make a vaccine pointless) and some bad (more children are being affected by it). This does seem to be a long-haul type of thing.

The weather turned out to be great last night for our first gig since Valentines Day. It was outdoors of course and we had a great crowd of appreciative folks there. We set up on the patio where they'd built an outdoor "grain bin" bar last year. Lots of people hung out around the bar all night, there are a few tables out in the yard and lots of other people brought their own lawn chairs. It was a lot like a concert in the park type of thing. It was great to see people enjoying life, we got numerous compliments on our performance and ran out of business cards that people were requesting.

I tried out the "new" backing track system I've been working on, still a lot of work to do with that but the system ran smoothly for the songs I had prepared. I had to adjust a little when I realized I'd forgotten the transmitter for my guitar wireless unit but no biggie. Now I need to get back to figuring out how to boost our PA capability, something I'd been working on before we fell into the abyss. For us here the only way is up!

The weather turned out to be great last night for our first gig since Valentines Day. It was outdoors of course and we had a great crowd of appreciative folks there. We set up on the patio where they'd built an outdoor "grain bin" bar last year.

That's great, although I guess running out of business cards is even better :).

Now that I think about it, it's good luck that things are starting to open up just as the weather is getting good, so most gigs can be outdoors where it's easier to do the social distancing thing, which medical people still think is one of the most effective ways to control the spread.

It will also be interesting to see how the heat/humidity factor plays out. I think there are actual scientific studies, not magical thinking, about the virus potency being reduced in high humidity coupled with heat. The question is how much is the reduction, and will it be enough to healthy immune systems to have a much easier time fighting it off.

It's a real-time medical drama, and everyone has front-row seats.

I think the biggest factor RE being outdoors, is the way respiratory droplets disperse much more there than indoors. Making for a much less potent viral load, thus not as severe a case. In the KC forum, posters were putting up months-old links to studies that claimed the virus can be spread outdoors, carried on the wind, where the dispersion was ignored. I suppose that's the reason whereby some heavy handed governors are still outlawing outdoor restaurants, unless the patrons protest while they eat, I suppose.

It's getting pretty hot here in Houston, and cases have been going up the last couple of weeks. :(

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

<...snip...

It will also be interesting to see how the heat/humidity factor plays out. I think there are actual scientific studies, not magical thinking, about the virus potency being reduced in high humidity coupled with heat. The question is how much is the reduction, and will it be enough to healthy immune systems to have a much easier time fighting it off.

It's a real-time medical drama, and everyone has front-row seats.

I live in Florida - and I don't live with air conditioning (by choice) so I should be OK.

But then I read bald guys are high risk and I went bald at 24 years old, so I don't know if it cancels the humidity or not.

Type A blood is supposed to be high risk, so I'm safe there I don't have A

Yes, front row seats while we watch the brightest medical scientific minds gather clues to eventually solve mysteries.

It looks like more scientists are moving to the camp with my brother-in-law that it is more of a blood vessel disease than a respiratory one. We'll see if that's a red herring or not.

---

I'm glad you're gigging Greg - bands are still banned here, but your report gives me hope for us when we eventually start gigging again.

Bars are still closed in FL, restaurants limited to 50% capacity, but from what I read in the papers, they are lucky to have 10%. The state is having a huge resurgence of confirmed cases according to the press. Of course that could be due to more testing as easily as it can be for relaxing the 'safer at home' directive.

Stay tuned for more developments.

Insights and incite by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

They need to sell strings, accessories, guitars, and repairs online!!

I have a friend who owns a local music store - not a chain, just a store that's been in St. Louis for many decades. He told me that with all the catalog houses they can't make a dime on keyboards, guitar, amps, etc. because margins are razor thin... The ONLY way he stays in business is having rooms where independent folks give lessons, and when the students come in, they buy strings, reeds, cables, etc. as well as do repairs. They pay their mortgage on that.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm glad you're gigging Greg - bands are still banned here, but your report gives me hope for us when we eventually start gigging again.

Bars are still closed in FL, restaurants limited to 50% capacity, but from what I read in the papers, they are lucky to have 10%. The state is having a huge resurgence of confirmed cases according to the press. Of course that could be due to more testing as easily as it can be for relaxing the 'safer at home' directive.

Stay tuned for more developments.

Insights and incite by Notes

Fortunately the season has arrived for outdoor shows in this area, I'm not aware of any indoor ones; not banned per se but capacities are ostensibly limited to 50%. I'd pointed out before but perhaps it's worth mentioning again that in the upper midwest, where winters are cold and often harsh, there's not much chance of keeping people pinned down inside when the weather gets milder.

I have a friend who owns a local music store - not a chain, just a store that's been in St. Louis for many decades. He told me that with all the catalog houses they can't make a dime on keyboards, guitar, amps, etc. because margins are razor thin... The ONLY way he stays in business is having rooms where independent folks give lessons, and when the students come in, they buy strings, reeds, cables, etc. as well as do repairs. They pay their mortgage on that.

I don't think catalog stores do repairs, by and large. And surely the store has an email list, and can at least count on loyal customers to help burn through their inventory so it's not tying up capital on a shelf? Then again, maybe the concept of a "loyal customer" no longer exists...

I don't think catalog stores do repairs, by and large. And surely the store has an email list, and can at least count on loyal customers to help burn through their inventory so it's not tying up capital on a shelf? Then again, maybe the concept of a "loyal customer" no longer exists...

They are actually doing some modest online activity. From the article:

"While the store is closed, Delgado put all but two of his employees on paid leave. To generate much-needed income, he hired guitar instructor Kenneth Del Río to do online classical guitar lessons.

"That's helping a little bit. We're hoping that will pick up and help sustain us through the next couple months," he says."

And he has indeed been selling and repairing guitars:

"Since the pandemic shut Candelas' doors more than two months ago, Delgado says, he has been building more classical and flamenco guitars, and he's doing more restoration work."

In the electric violin community, the concept of loyal customer is alive and well. A bunch of us support Electric Violin Shop for example. I'm also loyal to Potter's Violins in DC.

Meanwhile New Zealand has "reopened". Made possible, no doubt, by their much more effective response to the pandemic compared to other countries. Granted, orchestrating an effective pandemic response would seem to be easier for a country with a smaller population and size than the US.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/06/08/871822321/with-no-current-cases-new-zealand-lifts-remaining-covid-19-restrictions?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_term=nprnews&utm_campaign=npr&fbclid=IwAR1xwQKyzVSxWILGI3F6kZ4ZlizM4fXE2zi9nMq7PZ7uPPjylTE7L3h5qIM

New Zealand now has zero active cases, and they are reopening with caution. I do wish them luck, I think they are doing the best anyone can.

- - - - - -

I patronize my local "mom and pop" music stores for whatever I can get there. The margin on strings and reeds are probably low, but it's cash flow. If I want something bigger and they don't have it, I'll see if they can order it for me. I don't haggle prices with them, but they never cheat me. They know how much the Internet retailers charge.

In return I get good service no big-box or Internet store will give me.

The owner of my local store gave me his personal cell phone number and told me if anything fails on the gig, call him, and he will deliver what I need to finish the gig. I hope I never need that as I prepare for all the emergencies I can, but it's nice to have it.

I went looking for a new gigging sax mic, the owner recommended a Sennheiser MD421. He went in the back to his recording studio, gave me one to try on the gig with no deposit, no credit card, just trust. I loved it. I had him order one for me, and he told me to keep the loaner until the new one came in. In the meantime He charged me a few dollars less than I could get on-line, and I didn't have to pay shipping. I did pay sales tax in the end I actually saved an insignificant amount of money (small change).

There are more examples like this.

So I might spend less than an extra buck for a 10 pack of strings. It's worth it to me to keep a small business in business and for the extra service I get that only a small business can provide.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

I try and buy as much as I can from the music store in my hometown. It means I have to pay shipping usually, as I live about four hours away, but I want to support them as much as I can. I've known the owner and manager both personally since I started taking piano lessons at 5 years old a long time ago. :D I bought my first professional keyboard from them and practically grew up in their keyboard and piano section. Only if they can't order something in will I shop elsewhere. Not to mention they can get equal or better prices than online retailers. I get the impression there aren't that many people who are "loyal customers" any more sadly, anywhere.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments

I get the impression there aren't that many people who are "loyal customers" any more sadly, anywhere.

And that's too bad. A lot of people use the music store to test out something then they buy it online to save a few bucks. I do the opposite...I research extensively online then try it out in the local store and buy it there. I'm old enough and not so broke that I have to or care to save $50 on a $500 item.

A lot of it is the convenience of picking up the consumables like strings and reeds when you're in there for your lessons. If you have to order online or make a special trip without the music lesson, the local store loses any advantage over the catalog house. Yes, customer loyalty would be nice but I think we've already seen how much customer loyalty means to people as the Guitar Centers of the world have replaced the mom and pops.

By the way, World Health Organization is now saying that it isn't spread easily if you are asymptomatic. The "super spreaders" are the people with symptoms.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I've been needing a few incidentals, like some spare strings, but what I mainly need right now are a couple of Boss foot switches for my MFX.

I'd been looking online, doing price comparisons, while waiting for my FLMS to do what we're calling a Phase 1 partial re-opening, where you place an order online for curbside pickup, but no one can just go in the store to shop. Anyhow, prices for these things vary by as much as $10 apiece, and my FLMS is on the high end of scale; all the online stores are ordering free shipping, so that doesn't figure into the expense.

I decided that the online stores had been able to do business on some level, even during the local shutdowns, while my FLMS had to close its doors during the lockdown, but kept ALL of their employees! I figure it's more than worth an extra $20+/- right now, to support a place that I've been going to for decades, and that protected their people's jobs. On top of all that, if I added up all the little, and sometimes substantial discounts they've given me over the years, it would add up to more than a few $20 bills. I want to see them stick around . . .

"Monsters are real, and Ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win." Stephen King

http://www.novparolo.com

https://thewinstonpsmithproject.bandcamp.com

I am ready for this whole thing to be over! I want to be able to go back to work, but can"t as I was laid off for a second time. It"s also hard buying anything online, because the Pandemic is making it harder for sellers to ship items. I"m not blaming the seller, it"s not their fault. Demand for shipping during this whole situation is hard.

By the way, World Health Organization is now saying that it isn't spread easily if you are asymptomatic.

which is exactly the opposite of what they said 3 months ago and caused the global shutdown

:nopity:

By the way, World Health Organization is now saying that it isn't spread easily if you are asymptomatic.

which is exactly the opposite of what they said 3 months ago and caused the global shutdown

And then suddenly it was perfectly okay to gather by the thousands to protest certain things but you still can't protest a lockdown.

Trust the experts...even if they are wrong or keep changing their mind based on their political stance.

And then suddenly it was perfectly okay to gather by the thousands to protest certain things but you still can't protest a lockdown.

I don't think anyone is saying it's okay to gather by the thousands to protests. Everything I've read from medical people say it's a really bad idea and will likely cause more spikes. That may be part the reason for the following, or maybe it's the opening up element...or maybe just bad luck:

Twenty-one U.S. states reported weekly increases in new cases of COVID-19, with Arizona, Utah, and New Mexico all posting rises of 40% or higher for the week ended June 7 compared with the prior seven days, according to a Reuters analysis.

The three southwestern states joined hot spots in the South to help push the national number of new infections in the first week of June up 3%, the first increase after five weeks of declines, according to the analysis of data from The COVID Tracking Project, a volunteer-run effort to track the outbreak.

That was from the Reuters site that graphs current infection increases and decreases. You can see a lot of states went down and are going back up again. Others continue to go down. Some never stopped going up.

Trust the experts...even if they are wrong or keep changing their mind based on their political stance.

So far no one has been right about virtually any aspect of the corona virus. Look back over statements from the White House (wildly optimistic), the CDC (wildly pessimistic), and the WHO (wildly variable). We'll ultimately know who was right on January 1, 2021.

Before anyone says the COVID Tracking Project is biased, do some research, The White House chose the COVID Tracking Project as the best source to cite for daily US test numbers in its 'Opening Up America Again' testing strategy. The same data powers many newspapers. The COVID Tracking Project people started it specifically because they believed the CDC numbers were at best incomplete, and at worst, wrong. For now, I think it's the best data we have...and it shows that the US is all over the place, with huge differences even among adjoining states.

The scientific method, by definition requires altering your stance as further information comes to hand. It's absolutely appropriate, and as the WHO have now clarified, they misspoke on the 'very rare' component. Yes scientists get it wrong, but in the context of constantly looking more deeply at things on very short timeframes.

you still can't protest a lockdown.

Lockdown protesters - even the ones blatantly carrying guns while marching on their state capitols - were treated very, very differently by the police, to say the least.

Of course they were treated different....they weren't looting, burning buildings, or smashing windows. It sure is interesting what the media decides is newsworthy and what you need to see.

you still can't protest a lockdown.

Lockdown protesters - even the ones blatantly carrying guns while marching on their state capitols - were treated very, very differently by the police, to say the least.

Of course they were treated different....they weren't looting, burning buildings, or smashing windows. It sure is interesting what the media decides is newsworthy and what you need to see.

Its possible the turnout for lockdown protests was too small for would-be looters to take advantage.

Sure, I get that certain people here have their favorite media sources and only stick to those.