Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Pointer Sisters, Bonnie, R.I.P.

[video:youtube]

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was awoke from a deep sleep in the car driving to a gig deep in Kansas by the sisters singing "Cloudburst" on the car stereo. I had to run out and get their album the next day.

RIP Bonnie.

"Cloudburst" is my favorite song of theirs. I bought the album for "Yes We Can Can" and "Jada," but "Cloudburst" blew me away when I first listened to their LP. What chops they had (not to mention the studio musicians who played on that song)!

Thank you, Bonnie Pointer, for many great years of music. RIP.

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Yep, "Salt Peanuts" blew us all away. My parents looked upon most non-classical music with disdain, but the Pointer Sisters was something we could all agree on: pure artistic genius.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

On that live video Jerry shared, at 8:29 they go into "Yes We Can Can"....wow. Talk about an ear to ear grin...funky Clav, great pocket, great band, great vocals and dynamics, and of course such a gem of a song by the late great Allen Toussaint. Such great dynamics...and the drummer?? I think Gaylord Birch..........Awesome.

RIP Bonnie, Allen and Gaylord.

Thank you Bonnie for sharing your soul with us.

My old improv teacher in music school worked with the Pointer Sisters in their early days said it was a great gig and he talked about how determined they were to make it.

We"ve talked about that enigmatic piano solo on 'I"m So Excited' which has been my earworm for the better part of 24 hrs. I had a chance to see the Pointer Sisters in concert when that song was on the charts. They opened with it, and I still remember that tremendous rush.

RIP Bonnie, and thanks for the memory.

Here for the gear.