Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Compact mixer for recording - what do you use?

Hello all,

I am looking for a compact mixer for recording. Would like

- 6 to 8 channels

- cleanest sound possible

- quality built in headphone amp

- usb audio (obviously)

Ideally, would like

- mutes on every channel

- internal power supply

- separate control for headphones and main out, so I can switch between both

I did try an RCF 10xr but the headphone amp was weak and I needed to turn the gains and levels up beyond what I would expect to. Also, the headphone level was dependent on the master level. Finally, the sound quality was okay, for the price. Don"t mind paying more to get better quality.

Any thoughts? What are you using and why?

Thanks!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm confused. Do you want a mixer or an audio interface?

Both. However, happy to hear your thoughts given my requirements

I am by no means an expert on this field, so I will wait until the experts chime in. But if I read your requirements you actually want an audio interface with 6 to 8 channels. Normally those interfaces have some mixing software to let you route channels any way you want.

Rudy

I actively use a Yamaha MG16XU, which was paid for only a little over 400 euros. It's good, and allows me certain important analog signal path tricks with very high grade sound components, if you know how to use it. It's also transparent enough for normal use in my opinion, which is a pretty good recommendation. I suppose getting less IO strips and no parametric mid and no compressors can get you a MG..XU cheaper, but this one is interesting and certainly will do most of the things talked about easily. Headphone out is like 30Ohms IIRC, which I don't use much, because I have a very high Q pre-amp with low impedance output I use for my K271s, it's ok, but sound weaker in comparison. I like the electric damping of the can speakers, but otoh the output does sound neutral.

T

I have an smaller MG10XU with my Genos, PC and quite a lot of rack (10+) and other (Montage and EX5) synths, pre-mixed with two Behringer RX1602 which does a wonderful job. And the headphones I use (Beyerdynamic 770 Pro) work really nice with it

I'm confused. Do you want a mixer or an audio interface?

I think we had a similar thread not long ago so might be worth reading through it. But this is my question as well.

What are you recording to? If it's a computer, then you'd have an interface, and if you are trying to record 6-8 tracks *at one time* then you'd really want and interface with 6-8 inputs so you could record each on a different track. A mixer could be a necessary evil to submix these down to a smaller number, but that's a limit on what you can do afterward to those tracks since they are together.

If it's something like a multitrack hardware unit--I'm way out of touch on what is out there, used to be Adats and tascam units whose name escapes me--then maybe you'd have a mixer in front just to have preamps, inserts etc if you use compressors to "tape".

And of course mixers can be used to mix after you record, provided you can send them the individual tracks from whatever you recorded them to.

I don't use a mixer at all, I go right into my audio interface (which is 4-channel, but most I ever record at once is 2) and just mix in the computer.

I might suggest a Zoom LiveTrack 8

It's an 8 channel digital mixer with 24-bit/96kHz 12-track recorder, 4 headphone outputs,EQ, effects, and 12-In/4-Out USB Audio Interface.

At $400 it is a bit overkill if you only want 2 channels. There are certainly cheaper options. But if you want to for example record stereo keys and vocals or you want to record multiple players this is a great option. The recorder builtin allows you to record a practice or gig without having to bring a computer. You can then export it to a DAW for mixing.

I have my eye on something similar, a TASCAM Model 12 has more pre-amps and in addition to the interface its also a control surface for your DAW.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

I have a Presonus Quantum and it is excellent. It does not have all the features you have mentioned.

Tascam makes a series of mixer/recorders with different channel counts. A review in Tape Op gave them a solid rating.

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

I have a Presonus AR8...think it checks all of the boxes from your OP. Works well for my small studio set-up and if needed, for live use. Has a "Super Channel" (7/8) with Bluetooth...I actual have Bluetooth devices, a tape deck, turntable and my computer all running through it freeing up the six other inputs for keys and guitars. Has 4 channel USB audio output but it's set up in stereo pairs (5/6 and 7/8) so you need to get a little creative to use it for backing tracks and the like.

Thanks for all the references to mixers that I didn't know about that have come out in the last few years.

As someone who has never overcome the hurdle of having an affordable laptop (Win10) that doesn't have a myriad of latency problems, these are great solutions- multi-track recording to an SD card that can then easily be read by my laptop!

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

Forgive the rudimentary questions, however...

If I were to buy an audio interface such as a Focusrite...

1. What are the main differences between the Scarlett and Clarett range? Just a matter of quality of converters etc.?

2. How do you deal with panning? If I have my piano L and R outputs, running into channel 1 and 2 respectively, how do I pan them left and right? Do you do this on the Focusrite? On a Focusrite software program? Or in your recording software, such as GarageBand?

Many thanks all!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

1) I think so. Just better quality components.

2) in you DAW you can probably make a stereo track from channels 1 and 2. The focusrite controle software also let"s you do that. I think the software is compatible with the 'bigger' interfaces of focusrite. I"m not sure which.

Rudy

1) I think so. Just better quality components.

2) in you DAW you can probably make a stereo track from channels 1 and 2. The focusrite controle software also let"s you do that. I think the software is compatible with the 'bigger' interfaces of focusrite. I"m not sure which.

Thanks Rudy!

Kurzweil PC3x

Technics SX-P50

Korg X3

I am currently using a Radial KL 8 which has 4 stereo inputs and an external power supply. Soon adding another one as they can be chained to function as one mixer. Nice and clean, lots of headroom and has a good headphone amp. Although expensive, I have been very happy with it. My main use has been for gigs, but I have used it lately for recording with no issues.

The best solution for digital keyboards to be recorded and mixed would be to use their digital outputs in highest quality (say 96kHz/24bit), using a high quality external synchronization source, preferably closely connected with the monitoring DAC. I've wanted to set that up, but all the not expensive audio interfaces do not allow high quality TOS with sample for sample clocking, even though I thought the good Lexicon Omega did.

Of course usually when multi tracking you need only one input at the time, and there are synths with no digital output who need to be recorded analog, preferably with a suitable ADC.

Myself I like to get an analog mix of quality which the MG series provides, because a digital mixer's AD/DA conversion to me sounds like sh*t almost always. The XU's ADC/DAC works clock cycle accurate, also on Linux.

T

From one piano man to another, you"ll get more helpful answers if you tell us the big picture.

What do you want to record? A ten piece live band or yourself playing keys? Any vocals? Any condenser mics requiring phantom power? So, the full range of sound sources and the number of tracks you want to have for the final mix, but also how many tracks you intend to record simultaneously.

Next, what are you recording into? A multi track tape deck or a DAW?

Answer these before any answer regarding a 'mixer for recording ' can make sense.

I am currently using a Radial KL 8 which has 4 stereo inputs and an external power supply. Soon adding another one as they can be chained to function as one mixer. Nice and clean, lots of headroom and has a good headphone amp. Although expensive, I have been very happy with it. My main use has been for gigs, but I have used it lately for recording with no issues.

Yep another HUGE KL-8 fan here - just love it.

Yamaha MGx if stereo master USB audio is fine. If you want multi channels out over USB, Soundcraft Signature MTK (MUST be MTK - thats the multitrack bit). There both traditional desktop hardware. Behringer Air if your OK with PC/Laptop control - offers more (FX per channel, more routing etc) but does require that extra hardware.
Roland RD2000, FA07 (soon to be Fantom7), Legend EXP, Peak, Virus Ti2 Desktop.