Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 2020 feels like 1969

As an aside, one thing I've noticed about getting older is how "time stretches" don't keep pace with your age. By that I mean: I was a teenager in the early 80s, my band played music from the 60s (oddly enough). To me then, and to me now still, music from 1968 bears NO resemblance to that say of 1982--yet that really isn't that much time. Did music change as much between 2001 and 2014? My kids might say "yes" :D 1968 and 1981 would be completely lumped together for them, put in a "last-century vintage music" category along with 30s Americana, 50s rock 'n roll, and 90s grunge. Dinosaur music!

(exaggerating of course...my oldest is going to be a music major and I reckon he certainly knows a lot more about the history of jazz music in particular then I do.)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can agree 1 million percent on that we need to stop racism and injustice.

And I agree that the COVID is making bad stuff happen more often.

We need a global anthem on the level of 'Ain"t No Mountain High Enough" or 'We Shall Overcome" for the young generation.

I agree that it"s like 1969.

First off, 1969 was the beginning of rights for many blacks and other minorities since the Civil Rights Act had just come out 1964-1965.

Second off, we had technological advancements, like the Minotaur being a hit in the radio, much like 40-50 years before jazz coming into existence.

I wonder if past all these problems, there will be a whole new genre, as it"s been 100 years since the first jazz record came out, and around 65 since rock first charted. Not saying it"ll happen, but it"ll be pretty cool if it does. Probably will be based off of live instruments mixed with synthesizers and drum machines. Like a new generation"s equivalent of jazz and rock.

The only thing I"m ticked off about is that the synthesizers subreddit got locked up for 5 days.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

1969? The Mets are going to win the World Series again!?

One similarity 2020 will have with 1969 is that before the baseball season starts, no one in their right mind will think the Mets have a snowball's chance in hell of willing the World Series.

Young folks may not know that the Mets only played 7 seasons before 1969. In a 10-team league, they had finished last 5 times and second-to-last twice.

If it wanted to be like 1969 in terms of manufacturing, much more would be made in Japan instead of China.
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.