Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New MBP Speed Question

Hi all, my late 2011 MBP just died (2.2 i7 w/16 G RAM and SSD, so you know where I"m coming from). I use Gigperformer with a lot of different piano and E piano libraries and an occasional synth. I"m comfortable using a 128buffer, but I did stop using Amplitube on my E pianos as I found it added a touch more latency than I"m cromfortable with. My question; it looks like I can get, for similar pricing, a 2020 MBP 16' with the 9th gen i7 6 core with 16 gig ram or a 13' with 10th gen i7 4 core with 32 gig ram. Both are 500+ SSD (that should cover me with room to spare). Screen size is a non issue...of course the larger screen would be nice but not a factor. I like the idea of the 10gen processor and 32 gig ram, so I guess it really comes down to weather the 6cores will make a big difference over the 4. Any help would be great.
Korg SV2, Nord Electro 5D, Gigperformer/lots of VSTs

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a horizontally-similar challenge - a dying 13" MBP that is underpowered for my video creation / editing / publishing requirements (teaching college online). I ended up contacting the developer directly to help me make wise upgrade priorities.

In other words, what will be most beneficial to my render times: More / faster CPU cores? Separate GPU? RAM?

Ended up getting some good advice, at least what to focus on. Still have choices to make / budget to figure, but at least I sort of know what NOT to prioritize.

Perhaps Gigperformer and the developers of your must-have instruments might be able to point you similarly in the right direction?

I can't provide any hard numbers but i have a pretty "tricked-out" 2016 model and it runs circles around my older 2012 model. At least, I have yet to encounter any issues with the number of tracks I use sometimes (20+ software instruments). I'd often have to freeze tracks on my older one, I haven't yet had to do so on this one. Can't remember offhand if memory is different, I *think* they both have 16GB.

I'll say this (as I have before): this computer was a gift to my wife, if I had tried it out at a store I wouldn't have bought it UNLESS I knew I would always have an external mouse and keyboard. That's how bad the keys and trackpad are. Two keys also developed issues about 6 months in. Thankfully I do always use external! :D I think the new ones have gone back to something closer to the old keyboards in any case.