Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Two almost identical boards on stage?

I'm thinking to buy a Nord wave 2. My rig would end up being the Nord Wave 2, with the A1 and my trusted micormonsta. Somehow I feel reluctant towards this, as the Nord wave 2 is very much like the A1. But I do think I could do everything I want with this rig. What do you say?

Rudy

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two PC361s, which serve me adequately as clonewheels as well as all the other Kurzweil stuff they do. I have often thought it would be sorta funny to stack one over the other if I ever needed a two manual organ.

It's sonically no worse than setting up one workstation and augmenting it with a MIDI controller keyboard. To quote Peter Schickele (who was quoting someone else), "if it sounds good, it is good." If you like the sound, go for it.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

You don't need anyone's permission to do this if it works for you. I gigged with a Ensoniq KS32 and SQ1, and then Alesis QS7.1 and 6.2. Now I'm on Nord Stage 2 compact + Nord Stage Classic 76 (although the lower board is used only as a controller).

Cheers, Mike.

The plus side to this--if you are like me and plan for the worst!--is that if one keyboard has issues the other one can pretty much cover the same territory.

Whether that is needed or truly possible depends on the band of course and how exact your patches are. My band is very loose (heck they can gig without me) but even so I'd feel a bit "naked" if one of my keyboards say was just a piano and couldn't cover organ or synth.

I will say that while I have had a couple malfunctions over the past few years--I've pretty much determined they were power-related. It happened twice at one venue to two different keyboards so that is pretty telling. I ended up bringing out a UPS with voltage regulation to gigs after that and have had no issues.

I'd pretty much decided on a future "final" rig (right!) consisting of a Nord Stage compact and some form of knobby synth (prophet, hydrasynth etc). That doesn't give me a ton of coverage if the Nord had issues but I have a lot of faith in the reliability of Nord. I will say that I wish ALL keyboards had the really nice feature of the Yamahas and Rolands to plug in an ipad with one cable...that would be a nice backup plan.

I see your two similar boards and raise you 8 identical

[video:youtube]

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

If it works for you, that's all that matters. About 10 years ago, I gigged with a Yamaha Motif ES7 over an S90 when I played in an R&B/soul band. There was a lot of overlap in sounds, but there are certain sounds (pianos, e pianos, etc.) that I prefer to play on a weighted board and others (organs, synths, etc.) that I prefer on a semi-weighted bed. As Stokely mentioned, it gave me the ability to get through a gig if either of them went tits-up (which, luckily, never happened), and the fact that the operating systems were the same made programming quite a bit easier.

The two boards didn't look much alike, but I did have one keyboard player come to a show and ask me why I used such similar pieces.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

If it works for you, that's all that matters. About 10 years ago, I gigged with a Yamaha Motif ES7 over an S90 when I played in an R&B/soul band. There was a lot of overlap in sounds, but there are certain sounds (pianos, e pianos, etc.) that I prefer to play on a weighted board and others (organs, synths, etc.) that I prefer on a semi-weighted bed. As Stokely mentioned, it gave me the ability to get through a gig if either of them went tits-up (which, luckily, never happened), and the fact that the operating systems were the same made programming quite a bit easier.

The two boards didn't look much alike, but I did have one keyboard player come to a show and ask me why I used such similar pieces.

I did much the same for a while with a MO6 over an S90. Lots of overlap but when I got sick of trying to cram everything into splits and zones, it gave me a lot more breathing room making for a more relaxed gig.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Agreed, whatever works for you with no apologies. Only you know what your gigs require, and you know best how to cover what you need and want to do.

I love my Nord Wave (1), was lusting after a Wave 2, and then someone took all my gigs away...

Well, I have a PC3X (88), a PC3 (76), and a PC361. Have used two of them paired frequently. I keep all the patches the same on all three (same user patch in same location).

Currently, I'm not using them paired anywhere. My church rig is PC3 bottom and PC2 top - somewhat similar, but different enough in the sounds to make a difference (plus the PC3 has USB MIDI so I can feed an iPad/iPhone used as a sound generator.

The PC3X stays in one spot in my shop now, although it was the first, and was carried out some. Too heavy now.

The PC361 is in it's case, and ready to haul out at any time. So is the SK1-73 (fits in the same hard case as a PC3).

So - if you like the sounds - go with it!

(also have a 37 and a 61 key MIDI controller, to use with iPad for those times I want a really portable rig.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

What are those keyboards Yanni is using? Some kind of arranger keyboard (I honestly don't really know what an "arranger keyboard" even is).

Watching that made me feel...different...inside.

In the day I never would do this. I played sonic strengths and weaknesses against each other to build layers you couldn"t build otherwise. I always liked having a Roland piece paired with a Yamaha FM piece..... But that was the dark ages when you didn"t have multi-timbreal workstations with boo-coo polyphony. Now everything does everything well enough. Use what you like.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I liked when I paired a Nord Stage 2 76 with both a Stage Compact and later an Electro 5D. It worked and I know others like Chuck Hollis agree with the flexibility of the red stack.

I am also make considerations of a rig that is all Roland that combines a Fantom and Jupiter X. It doesn"t always make sense on paper when you can have more variety but sometimes it just works and feels great.

These aren"t life changing decisions. Go for it.

Yamaha U1 Upright, Roland Fantom 8, Nord Stage 4 HA73, Nord Wave 2, Korg Nautilus 73, Viscount Legend Live, Lots of Mainstage/VST Libraries

What are those keyboards Yanni is using? Some kind of arranger keyboard (I honestly don't really know what an "arranger keyboard" even is).

Watching that made me feel...different...inside.

Those are all Korg Krome. 8 of them right there

David

Gig Rig:Casio Privia PX-5S | Yamaha MODX+ 6 | MacBook Pro 14" M1| Mainstage

Yanni carries fifty Korg Kromes so in case one goes down another can be brought in to replace it.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

Yanni has at least seven Kromes in his stage set up one or two of which are redundant. His second Keyboardist Ming also has a few Kromes so so that narrows the number down to only around forty backups. When you consider how crucial and tightly choreographed a Yanni show is nothing can be left to chance. All of the Kromes are custom programmed identically. You will never hear a factory patch at a Yanni concert.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact