Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: 2020 feels like 1969

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife and I were listening to such a playlist at dinner tonight thinking the same thing. The social upheaval spawned amazing music - and we had hoped, lasting change. But there"s a cyclical nature to humanity throughout history. So here we are again.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

We Won't Get Fooled Again... oh... wait...

Would LOVE to have an album come out that is even close to as good as The Band by The Band!!!!

Letting the current situation brew for a bit, there is a song in there that I'll just write without thinking...

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

Most of us old farts here probably won't like the protest music or whatever is comparable that comes out of today's stars. It'll probably be hip hop or EDM or whatever they do nowadays. :cop::poke::D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Not exactly 1969, Marvin Gaye was a pivotal artist of those times.

If you were there, "Whats Going On " is a plea for justice:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Gaye

"What's Going On" is a song by American recording artist Marvin Gaye . Originally inspired by a police brutality incident witnessed by Renaldo "Obie" Benson, the song was composed by Benson, Al Cleveland, and Gaye and produced by Gaye himself. The song marked Gaye's departure from the Motown Sound towards more personal material. Later topping the Hot Soul Singles chart for five weeks and crossing over to number two on the Billboard Hot 100, it would sell over two million copies, becoming Gaye's second-most successful Motown song to date.

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

Would LOVE to have an album come out that is even close to as good as The Band by The Band!!!!
An undisputed classic. Between that, Abbey Road, and the first Crosby Stills and Nash record, quite a year for rock music and vocal harmonies. Didn't the Stones put out Let It Bleed that year too? And Led Zeppelin II.

I've been realizing just how many of my favorite records came out in 1970 -- Layla, Jesus Christ Superstar, What's Going On, Deja Vu... I figured out awhile back that the period between 1968-1973 is really what touches me the most; there's a fusion of rock and soul music happening in the pop scene that just does the trick for me. Also a turbulent period. Also hoping for some lasting change here.

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The difference being we have a pandemic to go with all the unrest, so it's iffy to get out there to make--and listen--to the music!

And yeah instead of people flying solo with acoustic guitars, or bands doing it organically, it'll be DJs or someone up there with 20 tracks playing along :) Not that it doesn't take skill to use that tech, but bleah.

In line with Stokely's comment, I'm sure all this passion could channeled into some amazing new music, if only folks could get together to play. I mean, it's happening, but not nearly enough. I think the chemistry of being in the same room together playing, hanging out, discussing, is critical and the absence of that will be felt in whatever musicians churn out from their home studios during this time.

Good thread if we can keep it non-political!

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

And yeah instead of people flying solo with acoustic guitars, or bands doing it organically, it'll be DJs or someone up there with 20 tracks playing along :) Not that it doesn't take skill to use that tech, but bleah.
Some of the best political music of the past few years has been made with instruments and musicians -- first one that comes to mind is Childish Gambino with "Redbone" and "This is America." Sure, there's a lot of hip-hop sampling and drum machines combined with the synths, guitars, and electromechanical keyboards, but he always performs with a live band, and it's a culmination of all the music tech that's become available over the past century. I think that's pretty cool! And there's always Theo Katzman if you're looking for something protest-y with more traditional pop/rock instrumentation. Those are just two that immediately come to mind. Remember, older folks complained about new music technology in the 60s and 70s too. :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

The music won't be like things that came out then. Things will never be as "new" as it was. Face it the country is in a different place now.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

The problem is that--like the '60s--so much of what's going on is inextricably intertwined with politics. To keep politics out would be like reading a bread-baking recipe with the word "flour" removed: Measure 4 cups <-----> into a mixing bowl. Add 2 tsp. salt and 1 tsp. sugar to the <----->. Add 1 1/2 cups water at 125 degrees to the <-----> mixture and stir with a rubber spatula until all the <-----> is moistened.

And so forth and so on...

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

There actually was a pandemic beginning in late 1968 and carrying over into 1969. The Hong Kong flu killed about four million people worldwide and 100,000 in the USA. An Oregon bandmate who I still talk to reminded me a few days ago that he caught it and was laid up for several days. Troops returning from Vietnam are thought to have brought the flu in first to California. The flu was allowed to run it's course with no restrictions on economic activity and a vaccine became available within four months. The death rate which is roughly comparable to what we are seeing today was considered to be low in comparison to previous pandemics. We have a much larger world population now so the average death rate is relatively lower but the whole world economy has been shut down for months.
C3/122, M102A, Vox V301H, Farfisa Compact, Gibson G101, GEM P, RMI 300A, Piano Bass, Pianet , Prophet 5 rev. 2, Pro-One, Matrix 12, OB8, Korg MS20, Jupiter 6, Juno 60, PX-5S, Nord Stage 3 Compact

I think the general point is history has shown that great music gets made in times of foment and civil unrest. We can acknowledge that and talk about how it may happen now without taking a position on the content of the politics. It's sadly ironic that the pandemic that is contributing (indirectly) to the current unrest is also making it difficult to come together to make music that would be inspired by it.

There actually was a pandemic beginning in late 1968 and carrying over into 1969. The Hong Kong flu killed about four million people worldwide and 100,000 in the USA. An Oregon bandmate who I still talk to reminded me a few days ago that he caught it and was laid up for several days. Troops returning from Vietnam are thought to have brought the flu in first to California. The flu was allowed to run it's course with no restrictions on economic activity and a vaccine became available within four months. The death rate which is roughly comparable to what we are seeing today was considered to be low in comparison to previous pandemics. We have a much larger world population now so the average death rate is relatively lower but the whole world economy has been shut down for months.

That's interesting but I don't think people in this thread are talking about music in times of pandemic, they're talking about music in times of social upheaval.

Some have been joking that after the Spanish Flu, we had the great music of the Jazz Age so maybe COVID-19 would give us something like that. Now we're talking about it being like 1969. Maybe we'll get both and some *really* great, lasting music that will speak to many. :idk:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This forum is loaded with smart and thoughtful folks, I'm confident we can do this without devolving into shutdown territory.

As part of my day job, I try to look around the corner and predict what will happen. Applying that here.. the music that defines this era will definitely speak to the anger, shock and sadness that are exploding all around us. Add hope to that list. There will be anthems that will rise up and become clarion bells for the new generation and hopefully they all aren't EDM!

Prediction: in some of those bellwether anthems, there will be great keyboards at the core :thu:

Some music I've recorded and played over the years with a few different bands

Tommy Rude Soundcloud

Some of the best political music of the past few years has been made with instruments and musicians -- first one that comes to mind is Childish Gambino with "Redbone" and "This is America." Sure, there's a lot of hip-hop sampling and drum machines combined with the synths, guitars, and electromechanical keyboards, but he always performs with a live band, and it's a culmination of all the music tech that's become available over the past century. I think that's pretty cool! And there's always Theo Katzman if you're looking for something protest-y with more traditional pop/rock instrumentation. Those are just two that immediately come to mind. Remember, older folks complained about new music technology in the 60s and 70s too. :wink:

Good point!

I'm kind of insulated as far as music, the only scene I even partly know is the oddball wacky niche world of smalltime cover bands :D

That's interesting but I don't think people in this thread are talking about music in times of pandemic, they're talking about music in times of social upheaval.

That might have been a reply to me saying a difference between now and then was that there was no pandemic in the late 60s. I had no idea about that Hong Kong flu, fascinating.

Most of us old farts here probably won't like the protest music or whatever is comparable that comes out of today's stars. It'll probably be hip hop or EDM or whatever they do nowadays. :cop::poke::D

If the message is strong, thoughtful and speaks to all, I don't care what the format is at all.

The hard part is the lyrics. Many of us are stunned and still sorting our thoughts. Preaching a dissertation is too easy, not something I feel right now.

We now have the avenues of expression wide open to all and there is time for something good to appear.

The 60's were my high school and early college years and for last few years I keep thinking we need the 60's again. A lot of love in the 60's to counter all the hate coming from the right. The 60's were about creativity and it showed in the art and music and even the inventions that came from space exploration of the time. A lot of the 60's music was political, Jazz has always been political and especially so in the 60's. 60's were about opening eyes and minds to be best self and not be a cookie cutter person.

An undisputed classic. Between that, Abbey Road, and the first Crosby Stills and Nash record, quite a year for rock music and vocal harmonies. Didn't the Stones put out Let It Bleed that year too? And Led Zeppelin II.

I've been realizing just how many of my favorite records came out in 1970 -- Layla, Jesus Christ Superstar, What's Going On, Deja Vu... I figured out awhile back that the period between 1968-1973 is really what touches me the most; there's a fusion of rock and soul music happening in the pop scene that just does the trick for me. Also a turbulent period. Also hoping for some lasting change here.

Yes on the Stones and also their single Street Fighting Man is part of that era.

Who's Next is a classic with Baba O'Riley and We Won't Get Fooled Again still relevant today.

My pop passed away just over a year ago. In our last weeks together we would sit at the kitchen table and talk about great music, he was a music lover. Everything - which he also shared with me. But one song in particular had floated up from deep in his soul,

[video:youtube]

I brought my smart speaker over to set next to him when he became couch bound. We"d sit and call out hits from the big band era - which was the sound of his youth during WWII. And then some Willie Nelson, jump to the '50s and back to Sam Cooke and the music that ushered in the end of the Vietnam War. A change is coming for sure, pop. I hope it"s real and lasting for the people of this nation he loved dearly.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

I will attempt to remain non-political. At surface level, none of the problems currently plaguing the world and especially the US are political. Of course, peel back the onion and things may look a little different, but I'm trying to chill for here.

I hope we all realize the irony in praising the fact that great music comes out of great violence, oppression, and death. Yes, it would be foolish to discard works of art that help us to heal and learn after tragedies. I believe it's also pretty foolish to lick our chops at the possibility of another wave of such creativity when we're staring right at the causes.

I know we come to KC to kick back and relax, in many ways to escape. I hope we can all remember that those who would create such works of art have no escape. That is why they are called to create.

And besides, it's already happening.

This video is NSFW. Don't watch it if you're gonna complain, you know what it's about. Ask yourself how many of the names at the end you recognize.

[video:youtube]