Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B-3X for IPad

...but how does he switch instantly?

... also smooth transition (SST) feature on the Kronos, similar to what was offered on the old Kurzweils where sustaining a preset will allow new preset to be selected but won't actually make the sound switch to the new preset until the sustain pedal is released.

The 1.3 update seems to be mostly about the JR Deep Purple presets. There's a few minor system changes none of which are likely to affect me.

Grinding distortion is not really my thing, so I have no opinion about the JR presets. In general I think the Mojo does distortion a little better than B-3X.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• 3 weeks later...
I picked up the B-3X as soon as the new iPad Pro came in. They still had the $99 price at IK and still do as of 04/21 at noon EDT. So far I am really liking it. It hiccups every once in a while when trying fast figures and mostly in the octave from middle C up, using the 16' drawbar as the reference. Anyway, I'm writing this to see if anyone knows how to use the notes below C1 to change presets. They will change the drawbars but so far they're only changing the lower manual drawbars. I'd like to get them to at least change the uppers instead. But what I'd really like to get them to do is change the entire preset. That way I wouldn't have to be quickly trying to change the Leslie & percussion settings after changing the drawbars. For example, the 888000000 & sometimes 888800000 drawbars are the only ones I usually use percussion on, so if I want to go to 888888888 with fast Leslie, after changing the drawbar settings I have to dive for the perc & Leslie speed buttons & then redo all of that to go back to 888 w/ perc. If anyone knows how to work this magic it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
I bought this app on sale this morning and it runs great on my 2018 iPad. The sound is spectacular and the settings are deep and highly tweakable! The only thing I haven't been able to discover is how to disable the lowest octave selecting drawbar presets. With one 73-key manual I'd love to be able to utilize all the keys, ie: use the first octave for pedals. Am I missing something or is that option covered somewhere?

Here for the gear.

I don't think there's a way to disable the presets within the app. I ended up limiting the range of my controller to not play those low notes.

Yamaha Montage M6, Nord Stage 4 - 88, Hammond SK-Pro 73, Yamaha YC-73, Mainstage, Yamaha U1 Upright

With one 73-key manual I'd love to be able to utilize all the keys, ie: use the first octave for pedals.

If your keyboard does not support splitting into multiple zones (to transmit on a different MIDI channel below a certain key, to trigger the bass pedal sound), you could probably use an app like KeyStage, iMidiPatchbay, or Camelot Pro to create that split and send the resulting (properly channelized) MIDI Note commands to B3X.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Although for an app in that price range, it should nearly also make you tea and toast in the morning! So some in-depth MIDI editing should have been available as standard without needing to run yet another app just to control note zones I would have thought! It certainly is available on alternative much MUCH cheaper apps ;) !!

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

• 5 weeks later...
Well the price has gone back up to £99.99 from £74.99. I might have been tempted but I didn't feel confident it would run even with higher latency settings on my iPad Mini 2. I have been amazed at how well my old iPad has been able to cope with most virtual instruments I've bought. But the last app I got was the free MiniMoog and it struggled to run that without occasional glitches. It's coming up to 6 years old so I have had my money's worth. So as and when I upgrade I would probably buy this the next time it on promotion, assuming it sounds the same as the desktop version.

I would probably buy this the next time it on promotion, assuming it sounds the same as the desktop version.

I own both. Although I"ve not done a side by side comparison, they sound indistinguishable to my ears.

I would probably buy this the next time it on promotion, assuming it sounds the same as the desktop version.

I own both. Although I"ve not done a side by side comparison, they sound indistinguishable to my ears.

Well that's useful info. However, the iPad price has just gone back up to the original launch price of £129.99!!!! So I may have a long wait before it comes down again.

Mapping VR-09/VR-730's sysex drawbars to control B3X...

https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=510733112949927

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I bought this app on sale this morning and it runs great on my 2018 iPad. The sound is spectacular and the settings are deep and highly tweakable! The only thing I haven't been able to discover is how to disable the lowest octave selecting drawbar presets. With one 73-key manual I'd love to be able to utilize all the keys, ie: use the first octave for pedals. Am I missing something or is that option covered somewhere?

I used midiflow and turned off any data being sent from those keys to the B3x app. All the midiflow adjustments and app adjustments and some slight latency on my standard iPad led me to just stick with my viscount live and give up on b3x. B3x sounds a bit better, but ultimately, in my loud ass band, no one can tell the difference anyway.

I bought the B-3X iPad app from the Apple App Store yesterday. It was $80. So far, I"m loving it!

Well you are right its back down at £74.99 - what is going on? I have never seen the price of an app jump around as much as this. Might have to go for it but I would like to see an option to split the keyboard and play both manuals. Am I missing something?

• 1 month later...

I have the iPad version and find the sound to be on par if not better than most of the clones I have tried. But to me there are two obvious omissions/problems making it difficult to use it with my rig:

1. It is not possible to disable the presets changing when receiving incoming notes in the range of the keyboard presets. This means that your controller must be able to restrict the sending zone to the range of the traditional 61 Hammond keyboard notes excluding the notes in the preset range below. Definitely prefer that the B3-X app could handle this itself via settings. It"s not fun to accidentally change preset repeatedly when hitting the wrong notes on the controller....

2. I have found no way to disable the Leslie simulation to get a raw B3 tone to drive a Leslie. Still use my old Leslie 910 on special occasions. Also would be fun to heat the real potential of the B3-X with the real deal.

The only way I have found to disable the Leslie effect is:

Go into cabs section.Choose Guitar amp (either one) and make sure "Mute" isn't lit. Go to "Mixer", dial Leslie to "0", and dial guitar amp to "10". Pure Hammond tone without much coloration.

Hope this helps.

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Actually got to play a couple of gigs in July...had a very well respected local keyboard hero (way better than me) comment how good my Hammond sound is. Controlling B-3X with the Numa Compact 2X is a total blast. Takes a little time to set up the drawbars to control the app...WELL worth the effort. So good.

Go into cabs section.Choose Guitar amp (either one) and make sure "Mute" isn't lit. Go to "Mixer", dial Leslie to "0", and dial guitar amp to "10". Pure Hammond tone without much coloration.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Thanks for the tip Jake. Will try this, still hope they can include a solution maybe via a guitar amp called 'linear' totally free of coloration as a short cut?

With one 73-key manual I'd love to be able to utilize all the keys, ie: use the first octave for pedals.

If your keyboard does not support splitting into multiple zones (to transmit on a different MIDI channel below a certain key, to trigger the bass pedal sound), you could probably use an app like KeyStage, iMidiPatchbay, or Camelot Pro to create that split and send the resulting (properly channelized) MIDI Note commands to B3X.

I can't even figure out how to use both manuals with my Numa C2x and this app. How to accomplish this? Are you doing any mapping for the Numa? ( I also own the VR-09, but it's 300 Covid miles away)...

Thanks....

The Numa Compact 2X does allow you to send on different MIDI channels above and below your split point. I assume B3X will use the MIDI channel to determine whether to trigger the upper or lower manual settings. (The Numa also lets you octave shift the MIDI zones so you're not stuck with the lower half of the split only playing lower notes.)

VR09 would be a lot trickier, because its drawbars send sysex instead of MIDI CC.

Hope this helps.

Jake

Thanks for the tip Jake. Will try this, still hope they can include a solution maybe via a guitar amp called 'linear' totally free of coloration as a short cut?

You can also use the direct line in the cabs mixer section. I use a little of both guitar amp & direct in the final mix. It can help even out the tonal balance plus it helps the lt hand bass not sound as wobbly when the Leslie is on fast.

Hey AnotherScott,

How good of a MIDI controller is the Numa Compact 2X?

I'm looking or something for MainStage.

My old controllers are all shot....

I hate the idea of spending $300+ on a "soundless" keyboard.

Plus, could use the Numa to control B3-X...

Whatcha think?

Tom

Nord Electro 5D, Modal Cobalt 8, Yamaha upright piano, numerous plug-ins...

I did my first gig with B-3X last weekend and loved it! I usually use the HX-3 Expander Module for this type of gig and didn"t miss it at all.

Here"s a short video clip:

You always post great snippets, Al. I've used B3X on some gigs and was incredibly stoked with it. It did crash once, however.

That video made me cringe only because the singer is yelling at people's faces from a couple feet away. Habits are hard to break, I get it, but she's not even trying.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64