Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard Magazine with Brett Tuggle

I don't usually like to start trouble around here, but I've been poking around and can't seem to find what I'm looking for so I am turning to the experts, or Elders, seeking some of the ancient wisdom.

For some time now, I've had a vague recollection of a Keyboard magazine article/interview from probably the late 80's or early 90's featuring Brett Tuggle, I think, who was playing with David Lee Roth at the time. If I remember correctly, he had worked for Jet Propulsion Laboratory, and there was something about the story to the effect that he was part of some research involving anti-gravity fields. So there were speculations, or rumors, or possibly it was just a joke that he had incorporated this technology, and that is how Roth was able to perform all of his gymnastics live.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I tried to help you out, but no luck. I started in the mid 90's working backward, going thru the "article index" they used to publish in Jan of the previous year's issues. The further back I went the more sparse those indexes became and I'm just too lazy to go thru every issue. Sorry.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! A 1000 blessings upon you.

There doesn't seem to be a way to access the interview, but I am feeling a bit more optimistic that my memory may not be faltering as much as I had thought. I'll keep my fingers crossed that maybe someone around here has been holding onto those vintage mags and can validate the story.

Uffda.

Thanks for sharing the article. I sincerely appreciate all of the effort. I honestly have no idea where I could have come up with the whole zero-gravity part of the story.

Well I can understand it given some of the amazing stuff DLR used to do :thu:

Possibly some matter displacement vectoring from the Space X liftoff.

I've been telling this story for years now, so there would definitely have to be (or have been) some displacement along the Time continuum as well.

About a week ago I got some serious push back on this from a friend who reminded me that he was pretty serious student of the martial arts back in the day.

Maybe I'll try and reach out to Brett himself.

Possibly some matter displacement vectoring from the Space X liftoff.

I've been telling this story for years now, so there would definitely have to be (or have been) some displacement along the Time continuum as well.

About a week ago I got some serious push back on this from a friend who reminded me that he was pretty serious student of the martial arts back in the day.

Maybe I'll try and reach out to Brett himself.

Just so you know I've attempted contact with Brett to ask him on the podcast as a guest - will let you know if he responds :thu:

Please do let us all know if you get in touch with him. He seems like a relatively cool guy, considering the stages he's played on over the years. I would think that regardless of whether or not he was actually involved in some kind of anti-gravity research before his DLR days, he might find the whole idea pretty amusing.

In the late to mid 80's there was a magazine that tried to compete with Keyboard, that had a similar name (Keyboard Player?). I used to get it at my local music store, it was oriented towards intermediate, gigging musicians. This magazine did have an article on Tuggle that mentioned his scientific research. It also included a solo piano transcription of a blues shuffle by him.

Search engines don't have anything about that magazine, except for 2-3 images of a publication named "Keyboard Player", with no one featured that I remember. I do remember that one of the last issues of it had Cecil Taylor on the cover, which meant they had abandoned their original focus.

In the late to mid 80's there was a magazine that tried to compete with Keyboard, that had a similar name (Keyboard Player?). I used to get it at my local music store, it was oriented towards intermediate, gigging musicians. This magazine did have an article on Tuggle that mentioned his scientific research. It also included a solo piano transcription of a blues shuffle by him.

Search engines don't have anything about that magazine, except for 2-3 images of a publication named "Keyboard Player", with no one featured that I remember. I do remember that one of the last issues of it had Cecil Taylor on the cover, which meant they had abandoned their original focus.

Maybe you're thinking of Keyboard World? IIRC, it was published by the same company as (wait for itâ¦) Guitar World. I might have the first issue, whichever one it was it had Eddie Van Halen on the cover.

[Checks bookshelf]

I have three issues, it was originally called Keyboard World (July 1988) then changed to Modern Keyboard and I have October 1988 and January 1989. Guess who was in the last issue I have?

(I'll post the rest of the images in another post)

For all I know, these were the only three issues of the magazine. :idk:

1097.thumb.jpg.0f75c357bafa3376782883f0cd852ae7.jpg

1098.thumb.jpg.72779b5571351835ace7beb6377d0dd3.jpg

1099.thumb.jpg.5590804f6370f4ab3c0b2fddada5efdf.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Oops, there was a fourth issue on my shelf, March 1989. I can't find anything online about it, so I can't be sure when it stopped publishing. I might have been picking it up at the campus bookstore, so life might have taken me away from it if there were more issues. :idk:

What's blowing me away is how many of the featured players are gone.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Good job Joe. I'm pretty sure that I have those issues too. I wonder if your wife looks at your "archives" in the same way that my wife looks at mine. I might have to leave it all to to Eric Doucet in my will.

ð

Good job Joe. I'm pretty sure that I have those issues too. I wonder if your wife looks at your "archives" in the same way that my wife looks at mine. I might have to leave it all to to Eric Doucet in my will.

ð

It's on the Internet now, so no takesies-backsies! :cheers:

ð

Forty years worth of Keyboard mags - a treasure trove of useful information about Steve Porcaro playing keys with Gary Wright, Rick Wakeman's Birotron, MIDI on the Atari, SCSI drives and the Yamaha CX5M music computer. Actually, in every issue there is something that is still useful and relevant, including historical info about Brett Tuggle.

He said he'd try to come here to check in with you all.

:keys2:

Jerry

Hey Jerry,

David H and I both had the same idea independently of each other and asked him if he"d like to be a guest on the Keyboard Chronicles Podcast via Facebook (his website link is broken).

I doubt if he"s seen the messages but we think he"d make a great guest.

If you"re a good mate of his any encouragement you could provide him to swim with the Australian sharks would be much appreciated!

Cheers,

Paul

Maybe you're thinking of Keyboard World? IIRC, it was published by the same company as (wait for itâ¦) Guitar World. I might have the first issue, whichever one it was it had Eddie Van Halen on the cover.

[Checks bookshelf]

I have three issues, it was originally called Keyboard World (July 1988) then changed to Modern Keyboard and I have October 1988 and January 1989. Guess who was in the last issue I have?

(I'll post the rest of the images in another post)

For all I know, these were the only three issues of the magazine. :idk:

Yep, that's it. I remember one of the issues having a transcription of the organ solo in Roundabout, another one covering the synth riff to 1999. It was all good, useable info. Great work!

ð

He's already in mine, but he has to update his visa and all that to come get them. :D My wife doesn't even think about the mags. In fact, the few years of Bass Player on the shelf are hersâ¦

Yep, that's it. I remember one of the issues having a transcription of the organ solo in Roundabout, another one covering the synth riff to 1999. It was all good, useable info. Great work!

It's been forever since I looked at them. They weren't bad. Lots of great interviews. In fact, I might move them up next to the Keyboard mags to be a handier reference, since Keyboard aren't getting added to anymore. :(

ð

It's on the Internet now, so no takesies-backsies! :cheers:

ð

Forty years worth of Keyboard mags - a treasure trove of useful information about Steve Porcaro playing keys with Gary Wright, Rick Wakeman's Birotron, MIDI on the Atari, SCSI drives and the Yamaha CX5M music computer. Actually, in every issue there is something that is still useful and relevant, including historical info about Brett Tuggle.

I haven't looked at any of these issues in years. But pulling out that April 87 edition and seeing the full spread double page DX7IIFD...I'm having GAS Flashback! All those therapy sessions - shot to hell! :mad: