Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: SPIN�s Greatest Guitarists of all Time

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As always, Best Ever lists are amazing fails.

There are some interesti\ng choices on there but very light on genres. Where is Joe Pass? Jeff Beck? John Renbourn? Andres Segovia? Jimi Hendrix? Tommy Tedesco? Glen Campbell? Albert Lee? Danny Gatton? CHET ATKINS?

Of course, I could go on and on.

Kurt Cobain the 4th greatest guitarist ever? Ummm... no...

Zoot Horn Rollo, I am glad to see somebody recognizes his contribution and James Blood Ulmer, both pioneers and important influencers - also great guitarists.

So they didn't bat 1,000 but they didn't bat 0 either. I've seen worse lists but that's not saying much. Thanks for posting, this should be a fun thread. Cheers, Kuru

It took a chunk of my life to get here and I am still not sure where "here" is.

The list is definitely provocative and raised an eyebrow here for omissions and inclusions. But their snarky explanation of criteria says it all, really. Not that there isn"t music here I haven't or wouldn"t listen to. I enjoy many styles of music. I just wonder who is on the expert panel and if there is any variation in their guitar lineage.

Yamaha CP88, Casio PX-560

Greatest guitarist of all time is probably some obsessive, highly introverted, painfully shy person who no one knows because their nerves could never allow them to play in public.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Greatest guitarist of all time is probably some obsessive, highly introverted, painfully shy person who no one knows because their nerves could allow them to play in public.

:) always a possibility but we'd never know. and the communicative properties of music have a lot to do with being recognized.

Easily the worst "Best Guitarist" list I have seen in my 57 years on Earth.
:roll:

it reminds me of music conversations at a middle school lunch table - written by the guy who can't stand anyone that made everyone else's best player's list.

I am sorry, but any 'greatest guitar players list' without acknowledging Jimi Hendrix, Richie Blackmore, Eric Clapton, Johnny Winters, or Glen Campbell is TOTALLY BOGUS!,

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

haha, or David Gilmour, or Mark Knopfler...it's just one of those deliberately far left of centre lists created purely to start discussion and argument...and....it's working ;)

There is no luck - luck is simply the confluence of circumstance and co-incidence...

Time is the final arbiter for all things

I am sorry, but any 'greatest guitar players list' without acknowledging Jimi Hendrix, Richie Blackmore, Eric Clapton, Johnny Winters, or Glen Campbell is TOTALLY BOGUS!,

And for all that, not one of the above mentioned artists, as great as they are, can even come close to playing like Antonio De Innocentis. I had a friend in California who was a composer for the classical guitar and Antonio was playing a couple of his pieces. My friend fronted the money to bring Antonio from Italy and play a concert in Modesto, CA.

My friend invited me to dinner and Antonio played for us afterwards. I was sitting no more than 8 feet away listening to this guitarist, would recommend skipping forward to 1:20. Enjoy!

In the end, a best 100 guitarists list is impossible.

What a crock of shite that list is they should be embarrassed. 100 names two maybe three I would say would be on a top 100 list one of which he and I shared the guitar chair in college Jazz band Nels Cline. Some were laughable they were only a B guitarist even at the peak of their career. Two names that normally get left off lists I was glad to see get mentioned was Vernon Reid and Tony Maiden.

After reading that list I need to get the bathroom spray and air out my room.

And Kurt Cobain? Hell, I play guitar better than that hack.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Am I in the wrong forum? I thought this was the Keyboard Corner.

Infiltrated, guitars are irresistable. I can toss mine into my car, go to a friend's house, he'll grab his and we'll be jamming on the porch in no time flat. Bring your Melodica!!!!!

If you like, I will be happy to post a "100 Best Keyboard Players" list in the guitar forum. I'll even put an OT like Elmer did. :laugh:

All of us there will discuss what a sham and a shame it is too, just like here with this list.

A joke is a joke, right?

This

1089.thumb.jpg.4eabb22bb442349adbc304d5333e3721.jpg

Find 660 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

On my list, Django Reinhardt was certainly the most dapper and arguably the greatest and most influential guitarist. Not only did he essentially invent "lead" guitar, he oozed attitude with that pencil-thin 'stache.

I bet Django got a lot of tail back in the day, probably more than most of the wankers on SPIN's list.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Their 90-100 spots include Annie Clark (St. Vincent, niece of fellow guitar legend Tuck Andress), the Fugazi guys, Marnie Stern, and Keiji Haino. I'm ok with that.

I was on the Allan Holdsworth fan FB group for a bit - seems like all they do is whine when a best guitarists list comes out and their man ain't #1. Ok, there were a couple of cool peeps there like Brett Garsed, Jamie Glaser, and this cool guy who put out some interesting e-books on guitar harmony. But overall I don't miss the noise of that group.

I didn't have the patience to click through the rest of the Spin article - I have a strong dislike of slideshow style articles.

I have a new appreciation for Charlie Christian, having now learned his "Grand Slam" and "Benny's Bugle" solos, and re-learning the "Rose Room" solo - had to play it for a class in university - cute girl I had a crush on was in the audience, and I totally messed up the solo because I could never play those freaking F9 to B7 triplet arpeggios in time at the required tempo. Seems like today's players think of Charlie's style as quaint but, man he played some unique lines and he swung like a mofo

I don't care if he makes anybody's best of list but the documentary on Brazilian choro made me a fan

[video:youtube]

I'm sure Eric has been on somebody's best guitarist list from time to time. But how many of you have seen him play piano?

This kid starts laying it down beginning at about one minute into the YT video below. Maybe someday he'll make SPIN's list (but he may not be hip enough or know the beautiful people).

OT: I think the dude in the green shirt in the background was at every party I attended when I was in college in southern Missouri in the late 70's - early 80's.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Another personal favorite guitarist - Steve Lukather this time - on the keys, with yet another, Jay Graydon, on guitar. The story of this song cracks me up. Graydon wrote the song for George Benson while sitting on the toilet, then brought in Lukather and Champlin to help finish the song. Lukather wrote the keyboard part for the verse I think.

Lots of great young players for sure in the bluegrass scene.
Very true... In all seriousness, this kid, Billy Strings, is a monster player. The video I tagged was from 2012 before Billy hit the "big time". Billy as well as Molly Tuttle are killer young guitarists who are currently tearing it up in the Bluegrass scene.

Footnote: Probably the best guitarist I ever saw live was Paco de Lucia followed, in no particular order, by Albert Collins, BB King, Jerry Reed, Al Dimeola, and Johnny Winter. But my all-time favorite was Django Reinhardt who unfortunately passed away in the early 50's.

I think it helps my understanding if we replace the words

'of all time'

with

'that played in my favorite pop music groups from when I was ten years old until I was 23'.

Do this and 99% of those awful 'best of" lists become interesting.

One of my favorite chicken pickers of all time is Albert Lee. Here"s an instructional vid he did for Alfred.

But I hope just about everything he plays is archived somewhere.

Albert came to the Lincoln Theater, 25 miles south of here - a couple of years ago on his 70th birthday tour.

He's been a favorite of mine since he was in Emmylou Harris/ Hot Band, just a stellar picker. Here's a fun one, Albert Lee, Danny Gatton and Vince Gill cutting heads.

On my list, Django Reinhardt was certainly the most dapper and arguably the greatest and most influential guitarist. Not only did he essentially invent "lead" guitar, he oozed attitude with that pencil-thin 'stache.

Definitely. My favorite guitarist of all time.

Phil Keaggy is pretty good too.

Yamaha: Motif XF8, MODX7, YS200, CVP-305, CLP-130, YPG-235, PSR-295, PSS-470 | Roland: Fantom 7, JV-1000

Kurzweil: PC3-76, PC4 (88) | Hammond: SK Pro 73 | Korg: Triton LE 76, N1R, X5DR | Emu: Proteus/1 | Casio: CT-370 | Novation: Launchkey 37 MK3 | Technics: WSA1R

Former: Emu Proformance Plus & Mo'Phatt, Korg Krome 61, Roland Fantom XR & JV-1010, Yamaha MX61, Behringer CAT

Assorted electric & acoustic guitars and electric basses | Roland TD-17 KVX | Alesis SamplePad Pro | Assorted organs, accordions, other instruments