Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The All-New All-Day KC Virtual Hang Fri & Sat! (May 29/30)

Last I checked, it was still open. No one was in there though. Maybe we should have a good ol" Sunday morning" service from Dr. Bryce tomorrow! ð¸

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say we should thank Sam for continuing to leave it open all this time (it's still open with no one on as I type this), but it's really probably because he's too busy and/or exhausted from moving into his new house this weekend to bother checking it and shutting it down. :D

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I can"t wait to do this again even though I didn"t make it,

I"d want to do this again sometime.

Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

Awesome hang, guys. Thanks so much for taking the time!

Brother Jake - I did live in NJ for a few years, but I'm a Philly boy.

dB

Understood. I still won't hold that against you, since Jimmy Smith, Joey D, Wild Bill Davis, and Charlie Earland all drank the same water............

:wave:

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

When will the next one be? I want to join the next one, you all seem like pretty cool people (from seeing this forum).
Yamaha MX49, Casio SK1/WK-7600, Korg Minilogue, Alesis SR-16, Casio CT-X3000, FL Studio, many VSTs, percussion, woodwinds, strings, and sound effects.

It's still going as far as I know. I'm on right now.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

Stopped by yesterday but I was alone... Seems I have this issue with emptying rooms...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

It's still going, but no one else is on.

The next one? It's not scheduled yet. We have done them on April 10, May 1, and May 29. If you can discern the pattern there and when the next one will be, you win a prize. ;)

I asked Sam about doing it on May 22, but he had to use this Zoom account for a work commitment that day. If we had done it then it would have been every three weeks so far. I don't know how you guys feel about it, but I didn't want to wear it out. If we do one every week or every two weeks, would that be too often or too awesome? You tell me and we will see what we can do.

Still on - just met Steve Nathan - great background!

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

I enjoyed my short time hanging out on Friday evening and virtually meeting a few new folks. Also loved bantering in real time with kanker and others about the Yamaha CP-70 while Justin played his MODX CP sounds. These are fun! Thanks to Sam and Joe for hosting, and to all the rest of you for joining!

Yeah, the MODX CP sounds are head and shoulders above anything else I've tried.

Hardware

Yamaha MODX7, DX7, PSR-530, SY77/Korg TR-Rack, 01/W Pro X, Trinity Pro X, Karma/Ensoniq ESQ-1, VFX-SD

Behringer DeepMind12, Model D, Odyssey, 2600/Roland RD-1000/Arturia Keylab MKII 61

Software

Studio One/V Collection 9/Korg Collection 4/Cherry Audio/UVI SonicPass/EW Composer Cloud/Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian/IK Total Studio 3.5 MAX/Roland Cloud

I'd say we should thank Sam for continuing to leave it open all this time (it's still open with no one on as I type this), but it's really probably because he's too busy and/or exhausted from moving into his new house this weekend to bother checking it and shutting it down. :D
An accurate guess, Joe!

The room is technically still open, and there's no reason to close or delete it unless we start having issues with interlopers (or if people start jumping in there if I have to host something for work and it messes something up). Otherwise, I'm happy to continue to use the same "room" and we just collectively decide when we'd like to invite people to party. Again, my only request is that we don't populate it nonstop, in case I need my Zoom account for other obligations.

It was really nice to get to chat with many of you over the course of the session -- I was mostly there Friday afternoon, because Saturday was moving day, and Sunday was moving-the-animal-companions-in day. But if you observe the attached images below, we're settling in to our new home very nicely now!

1090.thumb.jpg.31c384fdd37e851e2e7f2177917f56b6.jpg

1091.thumb.jpg.f912f341e5aaa1cb06ee5e2111936464.jpg

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Musician. Songwriter. Food Enthusiast. Bad Pun Aficionado.

Late Saturday night the idea was floated that maybe MPN could have its own Zoom. dB wasted no time and may already have set it up. I mused that it would be cool not just from a fellowship aspect, but possibly as a 24 hour help line of sorts. Something crashes at a gig or at the house, there's a good chance that someone hanging out will be able to help troubleshoot.

At my wife's hospital they have an arrangement with radiologists in Australia. Night shift sends them xrays to read. Something like that.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Late Saturday night the idea was floated that maybe MPN could have its own Zoom. dB wasted no time and may already have set it up. I mused that it would be cool not just from a fellowship aspect, but possibly as a 24 hour help line of sorts. Something crashes at a gig or at the house, there's a good chance that someone hanging out will be able to help troubleshoot.

At my wife's hospital they have an arrangement with radiologists in Australia. Night shift sends them xrays to read. Something like that.

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing. It doesn't have to be Zoom, though its availability on multiple platforms and its familiarity at this point has its advantages.

Late Saturday night the idea was floated that maybe MPN could have its own Zoom. dB wasted no time and may already have set it up. I mused that it would be cool not just from a fellowship aspect, but possibly as a 24 hour help line of sorts. Something crashes at a gig or at the house, there's a good chance that someone hanging out will be able to help troubleshoot. . . .

Funny, I was thinking about the same thing. It doesn't have to be Zoom, though its availability on multiple platforms and its familiarity at this point has its advantages.

I support this idea, but/and I'm happy to continue to help facilitate our community gatherings in the meantime.

Rhodes Piano Bass sighting. Don't see too many of those.

This is taking the thread off topic for a long rant, but I do want to talk about it because I love this story.

My last year in middle school, 2004-2005, the beloved longtime concert band director had moved on, and a very young new teacher (who had gone to our middle school ten years before) took over the post. He very consciously tried to clean out the closets and rearrange things to ease the challenge of following in Mr. Nelson's footsteps, and since I was something like a Respected Older Music Student when I was 15, I wound up helping out a bunch in the band room.

One task I took on was cleaning out one of the big instrument closets, which was packed full of marching and jazz band gear going back decades. Way in the back corner, there were two very heavy tolex cases that I had to open up and investigate. It was two Rhodes Piano Basses, one black with the blocky Rhodes logo, and one with a sparkle top that still had the "Fender" logo on it. Now, I played bass in my middle school jazz band, but I knew they often had an excess of piano players, and would often have trouble finding bass players between the ages of 12 and 15 who could both read music and improvise, so they would give some of the extra keyboardists the bass charts. While they'd long ago moved on to lighter, less temperamental digital keyboards for that purpose, I was pretty sure that's what the Rhodes basses were relics from. And yes, I had watched enough concert footage of The Doors by then to know what I was looking at, and as a keyboard-playing bassist I was over the moon, almost as over the moon as I was when the new band director said "anything we're not using in there is getting thrown away, so if you want it, take it."

So that's how I got two Rhodes Piano Basses for free. The sparkle top one was in pretty rough shape as far as action and tuning, but the black one actually made it to a handful of gigs with my high school/college rock band, so I could put my bass down and play some piano and organ with my right hand. When I was in college, one of the guys I gigged with regularly lit up when I told him about the Rhodes piano basses, so I gave the sparkle top one to him, and a few years later he told me he had traded it for a full Rhodes 73. If I had known how valuable they were, I might not have just given him that sparkle top one, but I figured, I got them for free, so I'm happy to have been able to share the wealth and save them from the dumpster. Who knows, maybe I earned some karma points for that. Certainly I earned them from him!

Anyway, I don't use the other one very much anymore -- I brought it out to its first gig in ages a couple of years ago when our bass player had an emergency and I had to cover -- and I was reminded, to my chagrin, of the weight of both the axe itself and its action. I'm definitely a better left-hand bass player now than I was a decade ago, but I've gotten really used to fast synth and organ actions for it... by the end of that set, my left hand and wrist were pretty tuckered out. But now that I have a place for all of my boards at home, I'm happy to have it at the ready should the need strike! Plus, I love showing it off. It means I get to tell this story. :wink:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Love those kinds of stories. So are you an Ithacan by birth, or just live there now? I spent some time there in the 60s/70s. Orleans was the local band everyone hung with then. Drop acid and zone out at Buttermilk Falls for a day or two! :laugh:

Bad Pun Aficionado.

. I have a bit of a reputation for that too!

Love those kinds of stories. So are you an Ithacan by birth, or just live there now? I spent some time there in the 60s/70s. Orleans was the local band everyone hung with then. Drop acid and zone out at Buttermilk Falls for a day or two! :laugh:
I grew up outside Reading, PA, an hour and change from Philly. Went to Ithaca College for undergrad, got involved in the local music scene and planted some roots, now I do A/V and recording for Cornell as a day gig, so I've been here a little over ten years at this point.

Yeah, Orleans was the big thing musically to happen here in that period, and I've heard many a tale from some of the older musos who have been around... Dancing in the Moonlight will still get folks of that generation on the dance floor. Buttermilk Falls would also be an excellent spot for zoning out! :wink:

Any chance you came across a keyboard player named Neal Massa during your time in Ithaca? Long shot, but he's been around the area forever, and he's the source of a lot of my music scene stories from Back in the Day. He toured in the 70 into the 80s, doing some gigs backing up Martha Reeves and Chuck Berry and that sort of thing, but he's been off the road for a few decades now. I took piano lessons from him for a few years, and his son Joe is the guitar player in almost every project I'm involved in. His daughter Amanda is the singer for one of our bands as well.

Bad Pun Aficionado.

. I have a bit of a reputation for that too!
I get by only because I found a woman who appreciates it. :laugh:

Samuel B. Lupowitz

Where is everyone? It's just me and Sam right now. :idk:

Where is everyone? It's just me and Sam right now. :idk:

???????? You never told us it was happening again this week! :poke: Pity.....I fancied a chat this evening.....but settled for Netflix..... :idk:

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone