Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Korg Vox Continental � how's it holding up 2 years later?

I've read somewhere (here: https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/vox-continental-61 and here: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Continental73--vox-continental-73-key-performance-keyboard-with-stand )that Vox Continental has the LS keybed (or its modification) from Korg Kronos LS. But I haven't read about any issues like keys sinking on Vox that I read about Kronos LS. Seems like Kronos LS has or had serious problem with that action. Anybody experienced similar thing on Continental?

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=117742

Maybe Vox Continental just has different keybed.

Everything OK with your Voxes?

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

No issues for the 18 months I've had it, and I don't think the info about the Kronos LS and Vox Continental keys being the same is correct, afaik the keys in the Vox are unique to it.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

• 5 months later...
(........) I find the CX-3 engine also useful when using the Vox as a top board, even though you can't tweak all the parameters. But with what is available on the board, you can still get a very decent hammond sound in my opinion. Here, the dynamic and valve drive knobs are very helpful to add some grit to the organ sounds. (........) I just have a little issue with the width of the keys, but I can deal with it. APs cut nicely through a busy mix, thanks to the dynamic knob, and now they have included a softer piano sound in the latest upgrade, which is nice. (......) .

What does dynamics knob do to the ORGAN sounds?

What kind of issue did you have with the width of the keys? Have you used to play a Yamaha synth keyboard before, which has slightly narrower?

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7

The dynamic knob adds (or decreases) brightness to the sound, even with the organ. As for the key width, it"s actually a minor annoyance. In general, I really enjoy playing the Vox Conti, but from time to time, I"m missing my target note because of the smaller key width compared to the Korg SV1 keys I"m usually playing. I can even avoid missing notes, but it requires more concentration than with the SV1. I never played any Yamaha synth, so this is definitely not my reference point. I also have a Korg Krome 73, which is also equipped with keys with reduced width. And I have the same issue ð And my hands/fingers are not so big...
  • Like 1

Has there been a price drop on the Vox Continental 61 key? It's showing $1,399 now on sweetwater and kraft music, that's a pretty attractive price versus the $1,999 Yamaha YC61 and others in the same niche.

Keyboards: Nord Electro 6D 73, Korg SV-1 88, Minilogue XD, Yamaha YPG-625

Bonus: Boss RC-3 Loopstation

The Vox Conti has no hammer action but a semi-weighted action. Ok I did the measure. Octave size is 163 mm. But when measuring the keys, I can see that unlike what I thought, they have the same size between the SV1 and the Conti ð³. So means that I"m just a bit disturbed by the different action between a weighted and a semi-weighted. Incredible, I really thought it was due to the key size difference... Thanks for pushing me to make the measurement ð. Should now check the Krome 73 ðð

Has there been a price drop on the Vox Continental 61 key? It's showing $1,399 now on sweetwater and kraft music, that's a pretty attractive price versus the $1,999 Yamaha YC61 and others in the same niche.

Yes, looks like most vendors have that price now. Shop carefully -- some vendors include the custom stand at that price but others don't.

Packaging with the stand with the keyboard and selling for a higher price never made sense to me. People want the stand that they want. The packaged stand is a nice piece of equipment, but is difficult to transport, complicated to set up, and didn't easily allow for multiple tiers.

$1400 is a nice price for a keyboard that should be a classic, insofar as any digital mostly-rompler keyboard can be a classic.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

• 1 month later...
Has there been a price drop on the Vox Continental 61 key? It's showing $1,399 now on sweetwater and kraft music

Supposedly, sale is until 12/31.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• 5 months later...
Heys guys!Finally got a Vox continental 61! I think keyboard action is good but i can hear a little squeaking noise on lowest C note when you press it medium to hard.All other keys don't have that sound/noise. Is it normal and safe? Does your voxy has that noise on lowest key or some keys?

Owner of Vox cont here too! Really pleasured with it too! I don't hear much noise but my 1st key is a little higher in height than the other keys! Is it OK? What you say Fleer that you own three voxs? (OCD probls! :-P). Have a nice playing anyway!

Well i can see a height uneveness on the youtube video too on that first note as you see but it seems to be a little one if your's is that little too. Mine 2-3 keys also are not totatlly on the same height position but the difference is super small. don't think that it is a problem really.0V2qMPj

• 5 months later...
Do any of you have problems with the keybed in Vox? In my friend's case, the whole octave has dropped downwards and it is impossible to play. It happened from normal use. Just like in the Kronos LS. Currently he is waiting for a keyboard replacement. Korg service reportedly knows the problem and they even redesigned the keyboard - can someone confirm? I was considering buying a Vox, but at the moment I am a bit afraid of problems with this keybed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This thread may not be as active but I’m considering switching from the vox to a Crumar mojo61.  I’m not a huge fan of the vox’s digital draw bars for what i use the keyboard for (the farfisa and vox sounds), and I don’t like how crowded the top of the board is (I’m using a Yamaha reface cp as a piano bass) but as for the mojo I love the idea of the physical drawbars and the flat top. My only thing is I don’t want to cheap out on the transistor organ sounds and effects. Like I’m cool with using pedals for the effects so that’s not a deal breaker but I just gotta know if the Crumar mojo61 comes close to the exceptional and charming farfisa and vox Connie sounds of the korg vox continental.