Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Studiologic Numa Compact 2x

I know it's insane to ask at a time like this, especially considering how hard Italy has been hit, but does anyone have a clue or hunch to when the firmware update might come out? Not that we'll be going out and gigging in the next few weeks anyway, right? Still there's enough time (too much time maybe) to think about these things now. Still loving my 2x.

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

• 1 month later...

New from Studiologic:

https://www.studiologic-music.com/blog/2020-05-27_nc2_user_sounds_update/

Some news for Numa Compact 2x owners too. This update makes the Numa Compact 2x compatible with the renewed Numa Compact Manager and ready to be upgraded with the new sounds Studiologic is going to release. All previously installed sounds will be seamlessly recognized.

Bye NC2x Manager, welcome Numa Compact Manager

The previous release of the Manager app allows the installation of new sounds on Numa Compact 2x along with the possibility to manage the presets list by renaming and relocating them. Now these features have also been extended to the Numa Compact 2 so the app was renamed Numa Compact Manager.

We"ve also implemented a new feature that make possible the directly update of the firmware from the Numa Compact Manager without using any external program anymore.

The fact there's a Highway To Hell and only a Stairway To Heaven says a lot about anticipated traffic numbers

People only say "It's a free country" when they're doing something shitty-Demetri Martin

Whelp, just replaced the Stage Piano with the new Japan Grand on most of my preset registrations after the firmware update on my Compact 2. The Stage cuts though the mix better than the others with my live bar band but it is rather thin, especially on the top couple octaves. Got some gigs coming back in June...anxious to see how the new sound does. Sure does sound a lot better in the headphones.

Thanks a bunch for posting the release notice Synthaholic. It might have otherwise been months before I noticed new stuff had happened for my board. Yay!

I have a few questions, this is a board I'll probably get at some point.

Haven't really understood the thing about new sounds. Checked out their website and still have questions:

? Is it 1 GB of total memory for sounds? What about the stock sounds, are they replaced when you add new sounds?

? How much room do these new sounds take up? I didn't see any sizes next to the sounds available.

So it looks like the Numa Compact 2 gets the same sound upgrade as the 2x?

Numa Piano X73 /// Kawai ES920 /// Casio CT-X5000 /// Yamaha EW425

Yamaha Melodica and Alto Recorder

QSC K8.2 // JBL Eon One Compact // Soundcore Motion Boom Plus 

Win10 laptop i7 8GB // iPad Pro 9.7" 32GB

The Numa Compact 2X originally came with the same sounds as the Numa Compact 2 plus some additional organ and synth sounds taking advantage of its additional organ and synth functionality. Then they came out with some new sounds you could load into the 2X (they are additions, they don't replace anything that's there). and with the new update, you can load almost all of them into the 2 as well. The 2X has 512 mb available for newly loaded sounds (I don't know whether the 2 is the same). All the new sounds combined add up to about 330 mb, so you can load them all into the 2X with plenty of space to spare. You can download the new sounds to your computer and look at the file sizes to get an idea of about how much space they take up, it's about the same. The biggest is the Japanese piano at about 88 mb.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Thanks Scott! That makes the most sense, with the 2x the stock sounds stay in place. Had never heard the 512 mb figure, had heard 1 gb of extra space, thanks for the clarification. Interesting that the Japanese Grand takes 88 mb! Even by Nord Piano standards, that's pretty small.

Is there compression used with the new sounds? Are you able to import your own samples?

I don't know whether or not there is compression involved. Though if there is a ~2:1 compression, that can blur the line between "512 mb" and "1 GB" figures.

Still no way to bring in user samples, despite the web site spec page still saying "Updatable factory and user sounds"

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I have a Numa Compact 2X along with the older Numa Compact 2x manager which I used a few months ago to do a firmware update and to add the new sounds (including the Japanese Grand). The process was not as straightforward as with some of my other boards (e.g. Nord, Kurzweil, Hammond, etc). It's not clear to me whether this new Numa Compact manager brings enough of a benefit to the table for me vs. the old 2X manager to justify hassling with it.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

I have a Numa Compact 2X along with the older Numa Compact 2x manager which I used a few months ago to do a firmware update and to add the new sounds (including the Japanese Grand). The process was not as straightforward as with some of my other boards (e.g. Nord, Kurzweil, Hammond, etc). It's not clear to me whether this new Numa Compact manager brings enough of a benefit to the table for me vs. the old 2X manager to justify hassling with it.

How good / usable are the new sounds?

Four 'user' preset files loaded into the Compact 2 leaves 61% of the available memory open, perhaps suggesting more files are in the works?

They are pretty small sample files. Even the Japanese Grand has some velocity issues where some keys trigger louder than others. I"m okay with it so far...feels like the well worn piano of my youth. I"ve already started to compensate on some of the keys while playing softer tunes. Lots of character. Might annoy some folks right a way. Time will tell if I end up getting used to it or wind up hating the quirks.

The fingered bass has very obvious sample switches between octaves (more or less) but kind of emulates the different timbers of different strings. Sounds a bit shocking by itself, but in a mix might provide a little extra character.

The Mellotron sounds are quite raw with rough loops, perhaps sampled from a rather worn in machine with slightly stretched tapes?

The Clarinet has a couple of samples with really glitched loops. This is probably one of the first sounds I"ll delete.

I"m a weird one that enjoys a little quirkiness in my sounds, but we all have different thresholds for that type of thing, I suppose.

The Japanese grand is pretty good, IMO comparable to Studio Grand 2 on my Nord 5d. The other new sounds are decent but I don't use them much (e.g. mellotrons, fretless bass, jazz trumpet, etc.). I'm hoping that Studiologic supplies another Rhodes with some more bite and bark in the near future.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an improvement to the Leslie sim and overdrive as well as the addition of a wah-wah effect (although I'm not sure this is possible). Despite my whining, the Compact 2X, as it now stands, is a good deal for $700.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Hmmm, It may not be the samples that trigger different velocity. I think perhaps the sensors may be off on the A and Ab above middle C on my board. Might have to open it up to get a look-see.

While it's open, maybe I can find some mounting screws for a couple of guitart strap studs...HA!

Oh, I can maybe see if the vertical spring can easily be removed from Stick 2 as well.

Boy, I'm loving that Japan Grand!

Four 'user' preset files loaded into the Compact 2 leaves 61% of the available memory open, perhaps suggesting more files are in the works?

They are pretty small sample files. Even the Japanese Grand has some velocity issues where some keys trigger louder than others. I"m okay with it so far...feels like the well worn piano of my youth. I"ve already started to compensate on some of the keys while playing softer tunes. Lots of character. Might annoy some folks right a way. Time will tell if I end up getting used to it or wind up hating the quirks.

The fingered bass has very obvious sample switches between octaves (more or less) but kind of emulates the different timbers of different strings. Sounds a bit shocking by itself, but in a mix might provide a little extra character.

The Mellotron sounds are quite raw with rough loops, perhaps sampled from a rather worn in machine with slightly stretched tapes?

The Clarinet has a couple of samples with really glitched loops. This is probably one of the first sounds I"ll delete.

I"m a weird one that enjoys a little quirkiness in my sounds, but we all have different thresholds for that type of thing, I suppose.

Hmmmmm.... doesn't sound promising! Though the 2x seems like it'd be a perfect candidate for using iPad sounds. At least the extra sounds have layers, unlike the sounds from the Nord Sample Library.

The Japanese grand is pretty good, IMO comparable to Studio Grand 2 on my Nord 5d. The other new sounds are decent but I don't use them much (e.g. mellotrons, fretless bass, jazz trumpet, etc.). I'm hoping that Studiologic supplies another Rhodes with some more bite and bark in the near future.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for an improvement to the Leslie sim and overdrive as well as the addition of a wah-wah effect (although I'm not sure this is possible). Despite my whining, the Compact 2X, as it now stands, is a good deal for $700.

Yeah, for something lightweight that has built-in speakers and does a passable job of being playable both for DP and synth/organ, I suppose the sounds are a kind of bonus.

Hmmm, It may not be the samples that trigger different velocity. I think perhaps the sensors may be off on the A and Ab above middle C on my board. Might have to open it up to get a look-see.

While it's open, maybe I can find some mounting screws for a couple of guitart strap studs...HA!

Oh, I can maybe see if the vertical spring can easily be removed from Stick 2 as well.

Boy, I'm loving that Japan Grand!

Do give a report on opening up the board!

Guitar strap studs? The worlds longest keytar?

Yeah, its definitely a faulty (dirty?) sensor or two. The A (above middle C) is the most noticeable with fast, soft arpeggios. That key is much more sensitive to velocity than the others; almost as if it skips several velocity layers between ppp and mf. I'm calling the online distributor Monday morning to check options.

The Japan Grand is DEFINITIVELY well worth getting if it wasn't available with the old firmware update. Even blows away my carefully tweaked MODX piano. Very impressive for only a 149.1 MB sample set.

I've gigged dirty bars and dusty festivals for three years with my Numa; all kinds of crazy weather in Kansas: negative 10 to 106 degrees. It shows some battle scars, but I am quite impressed how well it has taken the abuse. I'm strongly considering a NC2X upgrade, now. I was actually shopping other things (Numa Organ is still high on the list) until this fantastic Japanese Grand and the new firmware manager offering such easy drag and drop registration manipulation.

Kudos to Studiologic for making such fantastic gigging tools and supporting them, even in times of social uncertainty.

Yeah, its definitely a faulty (dirty?) sensor or two. The A (above middle C) is the most noticeable with fast, soft arpeggios. That key is much more sensitive to velocity than the others; almost as if it skips several velocity layers between ppp and mf. I'm calling the online distributor Monday morning to check options.

The Japan Grand is DEFINITIVELY well worth getting if it wasn't available with the old firmware update. Even blows away my carefully tweaked MODX piano. Very impressive for only a 149.1 MB sample set.

I've gigged dirty bars and dusty festivals for three years with my Numa; all kinds of crazy weather in Kansas: negative 10 to 106 degrees. It shows some battle scars, but I am quite impressed how well it has taken the abuse. I'm strongly considering a NC2X upgrade, now. I was actually shopping other things (Numa Organ is still high on the list) until this fantastic Japanese Grand and the new firmware manager offering such easy drag and drop registration manipulation.

Kudos to Studiologic for making such fantastic gigging tools and supporting them, even in times of social uncertainty.

Thanks so much for your report :)

I use my CX2 everyday, for workouts lately with Japan on one layer and Concert on the other. I'm pretty used to the keys finally, though hinge is short and spring a touch stiff for me.

Thank you Studiologic for keeping after the firmware and features. For all the various "rough edges", there is something about this thing you grow to love.....the footprint and and it's potential versatility come to mind. You can play it on your lap easy. Those tiny speakers are actually ok for practice: much better than most I hear.

If the firmware was more configurable for hardware MIDI and internal expansion it would really take off, I think. I already mentioned MIDI stuff above.

Internally there are 4 parts. We just get two to play, but a sequencer can drive the other two. We would love the option to use some of the space in there for a simple drum machine or onboard sequencer to send out to another part. The little menu system is very good, and plenty for this. Now, you can play your IOS DAW or Drum machine right into it--with many features. But something basic onboard would be really nice for when you just want to play and not fiddle.

Some more control of synth parameters would be easy if some of the organ buttons could come into the picture. And obviously the ability to load samples is another step to the "swiss arrmy knife" potential of this great piece of hardware.

I know it's kind of third rail, but honestly, if you made the OS open source and allowed users to develop it, I think you would at least triple sales. In these new days of old hardware and recycling, that freedom for users is very attractive.

Case in point: Behringer BCR-2000. Now legendary. Not falling in price on used market. Why? The users made it a swiss army knife. Uli did not notice or care, but it shows, like linux, what an open software enviroment can make hardware do. Much more than any single developer could dream of.

RT-3/U-121/Leslie 21H and 760/Saltarelle Nuage/MOXF6/MIDIhub, 

SL-880/Nektar T4/Numa Cx2/Deepmind12/Virus TI 61/SL61 mk2

Stylophone R8/Behringer RD-8/Proteus 1/MP-7/Zynthian 4

MPC1k/JV1010/Unitor 8/Model D & 2600/WX-5&7/VL70m/DMP-18 Pedals

Natal drums/congas etc & misc bowed/plucked/blown instruments. 

Case in point: Behringer BCR-2000. Now legendary. Not falling in price on used market. Why? The users made it a swiss army knife. Uli did not notice or care, but it shows, like linux, what an open software enviroment can make hardware do. Much more than any single developer could dream of.

If only he could have made a v2 with scribble strip screens to go with each set of encoders. The X-Touch series doesn't cut it.

I'm pretty used to the keys finally, though hinge is short and spring a touch stiff for me.

Yes, and so especially playing pianissimo is a challenge, to put it mildly. Though I think this problem is endemic to all un/semi-weighted actions in its price range.

I should have known better than to call my crack...I mean keyboard dealer...

I lobbed up my concerns with the velocity action on my out-of-warranty machine, and of course he smashed it back with a too-good-to-pass-up discounted upgrade. :rolleyes: C2X should be here in a couple of days.

Might as well crack open the C2 and take a peek inside...maybe this weekend.

I should have known better than to call my crack...I mean keyboard dealer...

I lobbed up my concerns with the velocity action on my out-of-warranty machine, and of course he smashed it back with a too-good-to-pass-up discounted upgrade. :rolleyes: C2X should be here in a couple of days.

Might as well crack open the C2 and take a peek inside...maybe this weekend.

Most exclnt!!! I hope you'll grace us with a thorough upgrade review!

Just to be clear, you're trading in your NC 2 for the NC 2x plus cash?

I really liked it last night, but kind of meh tonight after updating to the latest firmware and trying to program the registrations to match my NC2. The acoustic pianos seem to sound a bit more present In the NC2X but they have the same issue with certain keys triggering louder when trying to play very soft and very fast arpeggios. D, F#, and G# above middle C are the worst, however not quite as touchy as the A on my NC2. Still very annoying and might be the reason I wind up returning it.

I find it weird that my NC2 Rhodes registration has much more punch and dynamic bark than I can coax out of the 2X. The phaser seems smoother on the old machine. The new one has a weird little hiccup. Wurlys sound pretty close although still seems to have more dynamic range and attitude with the old one. The Brass has way more shine on the new one, perhaps because of the filter control with the faders.

I love the synth controls on the 2X and obviously the organ is much better with all of the right bells and whistles. I just don"t play the organs on the C2 much because there are no drawbars. However 2X"s Rotary fast is a bit too fast for my tastes, and the C/V"s are all a little weird. Drive is almost worthless for organ. Really too crunchy for EP"s too. Better for guitars, but still rather brittle sounding. Pulling the filter down helps tame it some, but of course darkens the over all tone, too.

I could probably deal with most of the quibbles and be happy with the thing if it weren"t for the dang velocity inconsistencies with piano and EP while trying to play softly. Yes, I"ve tried all of the global velo settings. Soft is just way too touchy, Hard just usurps the reason to play a semi-weighted action and ya really gotta pound the thing to get those high dynamics. Normal suits me best, but is where those off keys are the ugliest.

Maybe I"m just in a bad mood today because my only Windows machine crapped out right after getting the firmware installed on the 2X. The laptop"s screen went dark, but was able to VGA to a secondary monitor to finish installing the new sounds; that"s a whole other story. I"ll try to finish programming the registrations to match my C2 and take it to rehearsal on Sunday. Maybe fresh ears and playing with a group will shine a better light.

Pretty much on the 'return it' side of the fence right now, I think.

Interesting that the main seemingly identical sound banks in the NC2 vs NC2X may actually sound a bit different. I never A/B'd them. Though I've wondered about whether the EPs on the original NC may have been better than the 2 series... I don't know whether the EPs have gotten worse or I've gotten fussier. ;-)

The obvious big advantage of the 2X over the 2 are the sliders' triple functions as organ drawbars, synth parameter controls, MIDI definable CC controls. But something you lose is patch remain when switching from one front panel sound to another.

Could not get on with the faulty keys on the demo 2X. It is on the way back to the distributor as defective.

However I dig how the drawbars double as synth parameter controls and how audio and midi go through USB, it just makes a fantastic iOS controller. The internal synth pads are also just a joy to play with cutoff, res, envelope and LFO controls; and that dang Japanese Grand really upped the quality of the board IMHO. So giving this another go...ponied-up a little extra dough to get a new, unopened, replacement 2X to arrive next week.

edit: Opened the NC2 and moved some springs around...still the same. Has to be the sensors. Really over my head to dismantle the keybed. I guess it just cannot do ppp arpeggios. We'll see if the new 2X has the same issues.

Anyone else notice this anomaly on their 2 or 2X?

I can't resist posting my favorite review yet (about 2 months old?):

[video:youtube]

Adan: regarding pianissimo....this review has changed my settings.

I put the velocity on "hard" and turn up the volume. Much easier to play soft. I was taken aback. Granted you may need a stronger amp ;)

English subtitles...but generally a priceless interview. Brutally honest and generous at the same time.

This is a man with little use for pads.....

And fashion? James the piano kid needs to step it up now.... G knows what kind of motorcycle this guy has.

His review of the Numa Organ 2 is highly entertaining:

You can tell the NO2 is a serious girlfriend. Best facial expressions I think I've ever seen, and totally earnest.

I can't resist posting my favorite review yet (about 2 months

Thanks for that ive checked all out i thought but missed this one and this was best yet. It did give me more detail to its playabity i thought.

Im deciding whether to go with this board to reduce weight a little. Or even add it on top ?? Have options here.

Need to see if im ok to going back to semi weighted keys so will hope to be checking out one in person in a few weeks when things get closer back to "normal " in the shops. Plus i think prices will be more negitiable after more lockdown people return to work?

So far after heaps of reading im think it may be what im after.

So thanks for that video link.

Here is an interesting controller if any wants the tightest smallest weighted 88 (TP40H), i.e. you like the C2X concept, but can't handle the action. They have several models but Pk88 is lightest and smallest. They also you will see, sell them "without case....."

These prices are alot higher in the USA, I'm not sure why.

Barebones 88 controller

Of course these are nowhere near as light as the Numa C2X, but they are the smallest 88s I've seen.

What I don't get is why nobody tries this sort of thing with 49 keys. You really could get that down to 20lbs.

Now check this out: same company, and note the option for 5 octave TP8O, which action I would kill for. I think this may be the action in the Numa2 organ, which has the "real" studiologic organ, as you see in the review above.

TP8O keybed only in cali...new

Here is Doepfer, a very good Fatar customer, himself:

Check out his "DIY synth", which is interesting.

Here the Numa 2 which is very light.

Numa 2 organ with TP8O

But the numa organ has only two velocity curves....... I think those little MIDI cards resolve 127 steps of velocity, plus curves or something like that.

My virus TI has the TP8S (I think), and is the best synth action I have seen. I think it must be alot heavier that the TP10 in the Compact 2x. But such a nice action in a board with drawbars, say 61 keys (like virus), otherwise light, with truly programable DIN MIDI (C2X is half-finished in this respect), including Roland compatable sysex transmission and reception.......such a thing does not exist and would sell like crazy, I think.

Delightfully surprised today when the new, factory sealed, replacement Numa Compact 2X dropped upon my doorstep today. Arrived with firmware 1.10, so spent the day updating, downloading sounds, and reprogramming the presets for the band"s set list. The dern thing still has a touchy G# above middle C, but nowhere near as bad as the multiple bad keys of the demo that had to be returned, and not as bad as the A on my NC2. I"ll deal with it, I think.

Got a rehearsal/sound check on Tuesday for an empty-arena-live-stream on Thursday. Nothing like trial by fire...YIKES!

Really digging the new sounds and the easy manipulation of organ and synth pads. Was able to get 40 presets done in about 5 hours, and that was with a ton of dinking around in between.

A nearly perfect day. :keys2: