Music Player Network
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
DIY "Vocalbooth" project
#3046505 05/30/20 05:07 AM
OP Offline
I've come to the realization that one of the reasons I cannot get my vocals to sit properly in the mix, is that I have too much reflection in my room. As I was considering this possibility, Fett, an engineer/producer whom I respect, sent out an email pointing to this blog post of his called 7 Dead Giveaways That Your Production Is A "Home Recording". Sure enough, number two was Home Recording Dead Giveaway #2: Too Much “Room” In The Tracks – Especially Vocal Tracks. With this confirmation, I set out to put together a quick and dirty "vocal booth" for my "studio." (Yes, both in quotes, because either is neither.) The first thing I need to point out, is that my office/studio is the very first thing you see when you walk into my house, so the goal is always to keep that area neat and tidy as possible. As an organized, but messy person, this is not an easy task.

[Linked Image from patwaaramusic.com]
The first thing you see when you walk in my house.

One of the cool features I added when we bought the house was a Murphy Door. Behind where the bookshelves are now was just a big hole. I designed a Murphy Door and had a local woodshop build it for me. This became the first wall to my "vocal booth."

The Murphy Door to hide my clutter

The next step was to build a small rack to hang some moving blankets on. I drew up what I thought would work, and went to Home Depot to pick up what I needed. Less than $150 later (which on Maui is no small feat), I had my supplies and started building. First the rack.

The rack on which I hung the moving blankets

I had to add grommets to the blankets, which probably took the longest of the whole project. Then I used some small velcro strips on the bars to hold the blankets. Oh, and on top of the door, I used a couple of Commando Strips to velcro the PVC to the door without obstructing its closure.

Walls hung. I'm still debating whether to put the blankets inside or outside the poles

I just loosely draped the third blanket over the top. This works just fine, but I may use some vise clips to secure it. Probably not necessary.

Final product looks like this. It all collapses down and fits into the closet.

All told, I built this in less than two hours. Word of advice to anyone who wants to do something similar--get some PVC cutters (don't use a hack saw). They were a godsend.

I record on my own, so to control my DAW while in the booth, I plan to use an old Frontier Tranzport. I've had it for years, and it's still working like a champ. Perfect for this kind of thing. It's blue tooth and totally portable.

All I need now is an LED lamp, because it's dark in there. It's also going to get hot. I won't be able to spend too much time in there without sweating like a pig, but hey--no more reflections! The difference is amazing.

I hope you enjoyed my show and tell. I just felt like I needed to share with someone. Let me know what you think? laugh

Re: DIY "Vocalbooth" project
Pat Waara #3046508 05/30/20 05:21 AM
MP Hall of Fame Member
MP Hall of Fame Member
Thats awesome Pat, I started a similar thread in Dr Mike's forum just below a few days ago. I like how your booth can disappear.
You might like my ISO box, which I intially made to keep acoustic guitar from bleeding into the vocal mic since I like to play and sing at the same time, it just feels good.
I"ve got some tweaking to do, you probably will tweak as you go as well.

http://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3046455/diy-vocal-booth-iso-box#Post3046455

MPN is in vocal booth heaven!!!!

There is never enough time to be in a hurry...
Pat Waara #3046543 05/30/20 12:22 PM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
That's really cool, Pat. Can you give us more info about the PVC framing? What parts did you use, did you use any of that nasty PVC pipe cement, why do you have that crossbar on the bottom on one side, do you think the moving blankets could have been hung with clamps instead like Kuru did, etc.?

Thanks, and I might ask more questions as I get more answers. I picked up a moving blanket to make an iso booth a while back but I hadn't figured out how to hang it up yet. I thought I had ideas, but then I kid of drifted from the project. grin

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Pat Waara #3046613 05/30/20 06:25 PM
OP Offline
Hey, Joe. I used three 10' lengths of 1" PVC, two elbow connectors, two tee connectors, and two side outlet 90-degree connectors. I connected the bottoms of the two long poles to give it stability. The PVC is still pretty flexible, so added support is important. For hanging, you could use clamps. Ideally, you would want them to straddle the bar, so they can grip the blanket without gripping the bar. You can buy a grommet kit to add grommets to your blankets. With grommets, you can also use shower hooks to hold the blankets. No, I didn't use any PVC glue, because I want to disassemble it when not in use. Gluing would make it permanent. I only needed to build one wall and a roof because I used my Murphy Door and the second wall. If you need a self-standing booth, I found this video on YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjZo0eVzKSE that looks very sturdy. Again, I highly recommend the PVC cutters. (It's a link in my original post.) They made the job painless.

Pat Waara #3046614 05/30/20 06:33 PM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Thanks, Pat! I thought so, but wanted to confirm the details. I'm excited to build one of these things. thu

The great thing about music is that there's always something to learn. The frustrating thing about music is that there's always something to learn!
Pat Waara #3046615 05/30/20 06:37 PM
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Triple Secret Banninated
20k Club
Hmmm. I just stumbled across "furniture grade" PVC but I'm not seeing it in 10 foot lengths. Since they come in colors, I think that would be much cooler than the white.

Pat Waara #3047081 06/02/20 07:28 PM
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
MPN Advisory Board
MP Hall of Fame Member
[quote=Pat Waara
I hope you enjoyed my show and tell. I just felt like I needed to share with someone. Let me know what you think? [/quote]

most excellent, dude. 2thu cheers

A reason why I collect old keyboards is that I feel partly responsible for doing it, responsible for preserving history and being a custodian for these things
Plus, old gear has a story. I like that.
Pat Waara #3047688 06/05/20 10:56 PM
This is really coo. The design will tame down some of the high end reflections without creating a bunch of phase problems with the lower frequencies like a fixed vocal booth would do.

Ronan Chris Murphy - Producer-Engineer
(King Crimson, GWAR, Ulver, Mafia III)
ronanchrismurphy.com
1 member likes this: Pat Waara

Moderated by  Ronan C Murphy 

Link Copied to Clipboard