Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How often to oil a TW?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd do it every year but don't over oil it. One thing to watch out for is over oiling the scanner. Filling its oil cup all the way up when actually only the wick in the cup should be saturated. The scanner oil cup is located between the run motor and the scanner at the far left end of the tone generator. For a 21H remember it's an older Leslie so parts maybe need to replaced. The motors will have to be oiled in some cases rebuilt? How is the condition of it otherwise?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Once a year, generator funnels filled to the brim twice, each, and the felt in the oil cup of the scanner saturated.

Use only "official" Hammond oil, or equivalents approved by veteran techs to minimise risk of oil congealing and getting gummed up.

I like to keep the machine running for a few hours after oiling.

"The Angels of Libra are in the European vanguard of the [retro soul] movement" (Bill Buckley, Soul and Jazz and Funk)

The Drawbars | off jazz organ trio

I'd do it every year but don't over oil it. One thing to watch out for is over oiling the scanner. Filling its oil cup all the way up when actually only the wick in the cup should be saturated. The scanner oil cup is located between the run motor and the scanner at the far left end of the tone generator. For a 21H remember it's an older Leslie so parts maybe need to replaced. The motors will have to be oiled in some cases rebuilt? How is the condition of it otherwise?

The 21H appears to be in great shape. Deeper bass notes have an unwanted "vvvvv" sound. I plan to have my tech take a look at the speaker. Mechanically it seems fine. Where does the oil go for the Leslie? Should I use my Hammond Oil on the Leslie also?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

I oil a lot less than others do. Maybe every few years. I've found that in these old Hammonds the felt pads on the generator get saturated. I just worked on a friend's organ that started motor boating due to excess oil getting into the vibrato scanner, and I advised him to oil less.

Moe

---