Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog knobs

Who makes the knobs Moog uses?

I've pulled several from the Voyagers (kbd and RME) and they have no markings at all. I can't get any of the knobs on the Little Phatty to come off. I pulled one from my theremin and it says RN-99D. Poking around leads me to Shin Chin...but the diameter is wrong. The theremin knob is 27mm and Mouser says the Shin Chin RN-99D is 24mm and it doesn't look quite right, so they might not be Shin Chin after all. In addition, the theremin knob uses a set screw and the others are all press fit.

I suppose, in theory, I could replace all the knobs of a given size at the same time--that way they'd match--but I don't want to spend that much money, especially for knobs that aren't "right."

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Or go for stage friendly DJTechTools Chroma Caps and Faders.

If your playing live they"re great to se grab without slipping, etc.

Otherwise why not go directly to Moog support?

The new Moog One knobs are definitely custom.

Magnus C350 + FMR RNP + Realistic Unisphere Mic

Aye, but I'm working up an order with Mouser (and maybe Digikey, depending). If they've got the right thing, I'll go with them (possibly cheaper...?). Might as well cram as many parts in the box as possible and save shipping charges.

Grey

I'm not interested in someone's ability to program. I'm interested in their ability to compose and play.

Nah...most of the knobs are okay...it's just one of those things you get when buying used, you know? How many I need will depend on price. If they're 10 cents apiece (they're not, I know, this is just a for instance...) then I would replace more knobs than if they are $10.

A dozen? Two dozen?

And they'll likely need to be different diameters. I haven't done an inventory of how many I'll need yet, because I wanted to work backwards from price/availability and let the price determine how many I'd replace.

Both my Behringer Model Ds are pristine. One I bought new and the other, although used, was in absolutely perfect condition, not even dusty. Maybe I'll pull one of those knobs and see if there's any info there.

The 24mm Shin Chin I mentioned earlier is $1.51 @ 1 (price break at 50), whereas the 1" (25.4 mm, for them whats don't think metric) via synthesizers.com is $4.00 and that appears to be the only diameter they carry. That sort of pricing difference is why I'd rather go with Mouser (or Digikey...haven't started looking at their knobs yet) than one of the "keyboard part" suppliers. Some people may think $4/knob is normal and okay, but to me it's kinda like rape. Why pay $4 if I can get them for less than half that? It offends my Scottish ancestry.

It's going to take a while to sort through all the candidates at Mouser. They've got a screaming blue million knobs and Moog-style knobs are scattered among at least three different categories. Then I get to start on Digikey.

Oi!

That's why I was asking you folks. If you knew what manufacturer Moog uses it would save boodles of time and aggravation.

Grey

I'm about cross-eyed by now...been staring at knobs for, like, forever.

Okay, since I posted earlier I've confirmed that the knobs on my theremin are Shin Chin RN-99D. Mouser had the diameter wrong on their page for the part, but the datasheet had dimensions that matched the actual knob. Also, once I knew what the Shin Chin logo looked like, I found it inside the knob. (Large S with small c superimposed over it.) I had thought it was just a random mark from the mold.

One thing I'm discovering is that 99% of this style knob use a set screw (including the Cosmo that you're showing). That's okay if I want to replace the knobs on the theremin, but the knob I pulled off the RME is a half-moon, press fit. Yes, you can use a set screw on a half-moon and get away with it...sometimes. My luck is that the screw needs to go on the flat side and isn't long enough or even if the set screw manages to go on the round, it pushes the knob off center and it looks wonky when you turn it.

I'll hit this again after I get this headache under control.

Thanks for your input, guys. Any and all thoughts are welcome. I figure that there are probably others out there who are in the same boat, so if I can get this nailed down, I'll leave a trail of bread crumbs for others to follow. Maybe do a group buy and hit a higher price break if the numbers work.

Grey

One thing I'm discovering is that 99% of this style knob use a set screw (including the Cosmo that you're showing). That's okay if I want to replace the knobs on the theremin, but the knob I pulled off the RME is a half-moon, press fit. Yes, you can use a set screw on a half-moon and get away with it...sometimes. My luck is that the screw needs to go on the flat side and isn't long enough or even if the set screw manages to go on the round, it pushes the knob off center and it looks wonky when you turn it.

I am the original owner of an early Signature Edition Voyager that has D-shaft pots with Cosmo knobs with set screws. Works just fine, no off-center problem.